Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2008, 05:13 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Why do I need a grip?

I was wondering if some of the experts can give their reviews on the usefulness of having a grip with the camera. Which are the moments that require the use of a grip the most?

12-10-2008, 05:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

if you shoot vertical orientation and dotn want to twist your wrist into weird positions the grip helps

you also get more battery life, and a little bit more vertical length, which, for some people (like me) mean a slightly more comfortable hold, even in regular position.
12-10-2008, 05:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I thought I didn't need a grip, until I tried one. Now I couldn't be without it. The camera + grip gives more stability, better balance, allows for an extra battery to be used, a storage space for a remote and SDHC card, feels very comfortable in the hand, while giving a larger area to hold the camera. The grip has a on/off switch, shutter release, front & rear dials, green button, AE-L button, exposure button, located perfectly so you can have your arm in a comfortable position when shooting vertical/portrait images...no need to have your arm/hand twisted high above your head like when shooting without the grip in a vertical position.

Try the grip and you'll see why most people love it.
12-10-2008, 05:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What they said..and it holds the IF Remote; very handy/smart place to keep it from escaping your bag.

IOOPS! f that were a shoot-off, I would have lost.

12-10-2008, 07:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
no need to have your arm/hand twisted high above your head like when shooting without the grip in a vertical position.
I still do that for single shots with shorter FL lenses, rather than having to change my hold on the camera. It is much better for the 55-300 though, as I tend to wobble a bit in the vertical position without the grip.
12-10-2008, 08:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I was not going to get a grip fo rmy D200, but after 1 shoot, i went and bought one. Makes it along the lines of the D2H etc in size and balances the 70-200 well.

Plus i do a lot of vertical shooting and that button really helps.

If i get the 60-250, if it ever comes out,. i'll get the K10D grip.

Dave
12-10-2008, 08:16 AM   #7

Okay, I'll play the other side.

- no AF button, so I can't set up the camera the way I prefer (AF.C, no AF on shutter button, AF only from the AF button).

- big and heavy, can't be bothered to carry it around for most situations.

- I use a quick release plate and a black rapids strap, and well, it and the grip both compete for my tripod mount hole.

Now the likes:

- I do love the way the camera handles with the grip on, especially with heavier lenses.

- Joe McNally's stable stance

12-10-2008, 12:33 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
It fits my large hands like a glove, otherwise all the plus points mentioned above.
12-10-2008, 12:37 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All the points above plus the OMG responses from people.

Edit: I find it the most useful when hand holding for macro shots.
12-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I had the grip and sold it. I've never been out shooting where I drained a battery, and if I did, I'm not in so much of a hurry I can't just put a spare in. I felt it made the camera big and cumbersome, and took up to much space in the bag. Shooting verticals on a tripod, I use my left hand to adjust the head, so it's easier for me to tilt the camera to the right, which puts the grip controls on the bottom.
It does look cool.
Ryan
12-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atyab Quote
I was wondering if some of the experts can give their reviews on the usefulness of having a grip with the camera. Which are the moments that require the use of a grip the most?
In a nut shell
the answer is NO you dont need one

But the most important question is do you want one

Dave
12-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I want a grip so bad. Problem is my k100d wasn't exactly made for them. No interface port on the bottom. Bummer...
12-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #13

I've gotten so used to mine that my camera now feels awkward when I use it without the grip. And if I wasn't able to store the remote in the grip, I wouldn't have gotten the remote. I know it wouldn't be a month before I lost it if I just let it float around my bag. I agree with deuces the no AF button is a real drag, but not having the grip doesn't improve the situation so it's not really a reason to not get a grip. And the grip has a tripod mount, although slightly to the left of the body one, so it doesn't really take it up.
12-14-2008, 02:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The grip goes hand in hand just like Adam and Eve
perfect

cheers
12-14-2008, 06:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm with Cupic. The camera (K10/K20) just feels a lot better with the grip. Too small for my hand without it.

Tom G