Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2022, 12:08 PM   #1
Forum Member

Camera choice for bird migration shots

HI! I'm going to be spending a couple days next month trying to get some good shots of a Sandhill Crane migration in Colorado. The lens I plan to use is my 560mm, maybe with a 1.4x TC depending on how close I can get.

Here's my (happy) problem. I have a K-3iii and a recently acquired K-1ii. I don't want to schlep along both. I know that the K-1ii is really optimized for landscape photography. The K-3iii has the better buffer, UHS-II card, and 12 FPS capability.

If it was you, which camera would you take?

02-21-2022, 12:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have neither. But I would take the k3iii. Better auto focus and fps
02-21-2022, 12:27 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What's your limit on having two bodies along?
I'd put the 560 on the K3-III, and have a shorter lens on the K1 for other coverage,
To get anything decent, you'll need to have the 560 on a tripod, (with or without the TC)
A medium to long zoom on the K1 could be hand held to get other opportunities,
What other lenses do you have?
02-21-2022, 12:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Given that unless you are really close or the subject is really big, you will always be shooting with the 560 inside the APSC crop on the K1. Therefore why shoot with 16 MP when you can shoot with 25?

I am looking to get a K3 MK3 for just that reason. While the 560 performs really well even hand held on the K1 a bit of extra resolution can’t hurt..

You can always pack something in the 300-400 mm range for the other body if you do elect to shoot with a tripod (I don’t with the 560 but not every one has the arms of a gorilla)

02-21-2022, 12:53 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
What's your limit on having two bodies along?
I'd put the 560 on the K3-III, and have a shorter lens on the K1 for other coverage,
To get anything decent, you'll need to have the 560 on a tripod, (with or without the TC)
A medium to long zoom on the K1 could be hand held to get other opportunities,
What other lenses do you have?
I've got the 300mm f4, a 60-250mm, the Rokinon 135 and the new Pentax 85mm. Everything else is shorter...
02-21-2022, 01:15 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AnotherVoice Quote
. . . The lens I plan to use is my 560mm, maybe with a 1.4x TC depending on how close I can get.. . .
I think the confusion is from your first post

and then you say this:

I've got the 300mm f4, a 60-250mm, the Rokinon 135 and the new Pentax 85mm. Everything else is shorter...
I would urge the K 3 III if that is the only camera body you can take

if you do have the big lens, I agree that you will need a tripod for either camera body

not sure the autofocus speed of the 60-250mm would be good

you might want to consider renting the 150-450mm which could be used handheld

QuoteQuote:
Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent
Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-21-2022 at 01:21 PM.
02-21-2022, 01:39 PM - 7 Likes   #7

If it were me, I'd bring 'em both. Not sure what crane migration is like in Colorado, but here in Nebraska it's a world-class wildlife spectacle – a very spiritual experience for many who experience it. Here are a few with DA* 300, on K1M2 and K5M2:

02-21-2022, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

K3iii for sure. For the added reach, AF, FPS, ...

Generally, I don't see much point in a tripod for birds in flight. You will have to use a high shutter speed anyway to freeze the motion, so hand-held isn't an issue. However, if you are setting up in one location for a long time waiting for opportunities, it can be convenient to use one to take the load off your arms and shoulders. If you are constantly moving around though, tripods are anything but convenient in the field.
02-21-2022, 02:00 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

560+tc on k3iii and 60-250 on k1.
02-21-2022, 02:18 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I think the confusion is from your first post

and then you say this:

I would urge the K 3 III if that is the only camera body you can take

if you do have the big lens, I agree that you will need a tripod for either camera body

not sure the autofocus speed of the 60-250mm would be good

you might want to consider renting the 150-450mm which could be used handheld

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com
Sorry, I've also got the 560.
02-21-2022, 02:27 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry, I've also got the 560.
this article on how to handhold lenses might be of interest

QuoteQuote:
Making the Most of Long Exposure Handhelds
Introduction

In this attempt to understand concepts second nature to all veterans of a militarized basic training, we explore the four fundamentals of marksmanship and how they apply to improving one's photographic technique. . . .
02-21-2022, 03:59 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Everything else is shorter...
This is my point,
If you have one body dedicated to your long prime, there are also going to be opportunities to get other things with a shorter lens.
Having both bodies along will allow you to get those other shots without switching lenses.
I've never shot sandhill's before, but used to live along the Missouri River and get Canada's and snow geese (huge flocks), long lens was OK for picking individuals out, but the flock needed wider lenses to capture the scope. I'd not want to be locked into one focal length for much of my time there, you've got the gear, go prepared.
02-21-2022, 04:12 PM   #13
Pentaxian

If it was me, I would most likely use the K-3 III along with the 560, with no TC. The APS-C (K-3 III) original distance range would accommodate the lens. The K-1 II (Full Frame) would give you very nice images, but the origin of the images would appear distanced, whereas K-3 III origin of images would appear closer. The K-1 II would provide excellent crops, but if you used the K-3 III originally, you would not have to deal with very much cropping.

Please note that I have the K-1 II, it is amazing, and the crop image quality is excellent.
02-21-2022, 04:35 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Sandhill crane flock in upstate NY isn't anything like you'll see out west, 256 in 2021, but the first didn't arrive here until 1999 and the first nesting pair observed in 2003...

Search: sandhill crane | Flickr

These are with the K-3 & Sigma 150-500, hopefully I'll get a chance with the K-3 III & 150-450 this year...
02-21-2022, 04:56 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have neither, but the K3-III is the obvious choice if you only take one camera. I don't know where you live and how you are getting there, if it's via air options are limited. If you are driving a little extra gear shouldn't be so bad to pack, even if you end up not using it, which would give you the flexibility you may need. Whatever way you go, good luck and hope you get a lot of great photos.