Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2008, 07:21 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Domke Bag ??

Hi All:

Looking for a small bag to use for the following: K100D, FA 50mm, DA 70MM & DA 21mm. Figure a small card wallet, extra set of AA, a filter or two and a lipstick brush. What would you get?

12-12-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can't go wrong with a Domke. I also like Lowepro and Kata.

Edit: One of the things I like about Domke is its one of the few American made photography items left.

Last edited by Blue; 12-12-2008 at 08:28 AM.
12-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Domke is seldom a bad choice. If you like the messenger-style bags, you should check out Crumpler as well. I use a Lowepro Slingshot AW and like it a lot, though it isn't a messenger-style bag.
12-12-2008, 11:44 AM   #4

I used a couple of the original canvas Domke F1s for 20 years. Tough as nails and so functional.

You might also look at the Lowe Pro Stealth Reporter D200 AW--comes with a bunch of internal accessories, storage pouch and card wallet. The Lowe Pro Sling bags are nice, too. You could get by with the 100 or 200.

The Pentax branded sling bag that Amazon sells for $39.00 or gives away with Pentax bodies is surprisingly nice and compact. Just got one.

12-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Prairie Dog Quote
. . .

The Pentax branded sling bag that Amazon sells for $39.00 or gives away with Pentax bodies is surprisingly nice and compact. Just got one.
I have one of these also and like it alot. I actually carry a body, metz flash, 105mm, 55-300mm, and 2 ltds in there just fine.
12-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kpfeifle Quote
Hi All:

Looking for a small bag to use for the following: K100D, FA 50mm, DA 70MM & DA 21mm. Figure a small card wallet, extra set of AA, a filter or two and a lipstick brush. What would you get?
I currently use the Domke F3X sand, it holds my stuff well, and what i like about it most of all, it really does not look like a camera bag.

Dave
12-12-2008, 08:37 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
I currently use the Domke F3X sand, it holds my stuff well, and what i like about it most of all, it really does not look like a camera bag.

Dave
Another Domke F3X owner here, but mine is black ballistic cloth. I highly recommend it.

12-13-2008, 05:38 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
For you F3X owners: I took a look at it, hard to judge on the web, but it seems lime it will be large for a K100 w/ a 50 mounted and two pancakes. Anybody own one of the smaller Domke bags?
12-13-2008, 06:25 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by kpfeifle Quote
For you F3X owners: I took a look at it, hard to judge on the web, but it seems lime it will be large for a K100 w/ a 50 mounted and two pancakes. Anybody own one of the smaller Domke bags?

You might like this review of the F3X. I don't own a Domke bag so can't really comment, but from reading the review, it looks pretty close to the right size.
12-13-2008, 10:02 AM   #10

I have the F-6 (Little Bit Smaller) and I love it. It's just the right size to carry all my stuff; camera with a small zoom or prime attached, external flash, 3 lenses, spare batteries, filters, card wallet, cleaning brush and lens cloth, etc. I think I even have the camera manual tucked away in there too! It's pretty packed for me but if you just need to carry 3 primes I think it would be a nice size with some room for other things like a wallet and sunglasses. If you would like some photos of the interior just PM me. It's not overly cumbersome to carry though at times I do wish I had a bag that was slimmer, but then I usually just throw my camera and a lens in a couple of neoprene bags and toss them in my messenger bag. It's rugged but I sometimes hate those metal latches because they can ocassionally hit my gear if I'm not careful.

I was lucky enough to have a local shop that has most of the Domke bags in stock so I could check out all the sizes. That made my decision 10X easier.
12-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

A fun thing about Domke inserts is that you can also put them in any bag you might find suitable: I've got a handbag I use like that when I'm carrying very little.
12-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #12

Found this site last night, camerabags.com

It's got user reviews and user photos of bags with different gear in them. Pretty informative.
12-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I have several Domke bags (one is at least 25 years old) and they are excellent products, depending on your personal likes/dislikes. This one ( F-5XB SHOULDER/BELT BAG/BLACK - Tiffen.Com ) is very compact; I use it with a DS and another lens or two (depending on size). I like it when traveling as it is small enough to keep on one's shoulder or lap without getting in the way. I carefully cut the Domke logo off, as it draws the eye to the bag.
If you want to treat yourself to something really nice, look at the Billingham Hadley line. These are great bags and as my wife is always fond of saying/rationalizing, a good bag lasts forever.