Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2022, 02:29 PM   #1

BG4 Battery tray

Hi folks
As of a previous thread I purchased a second hand genuine BG4 grip and it works fabulously with my K5ii. So a big thank you for the sound advice. However the grip only has the AA battery tray. I have trawled the internet to try and find the
D-Li109 battery tray with no success.
I was wondering if you kind folks on the forum could help with any suggestions.

A big thank you in advance

Ian Bullivant

03-17-2022, 03:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I remember you writing you had a third-party battery grip … is the tray from that any good?
It may be easier to find another clone grip for parts than a Pentax-original tray
03-17-2022, 03:15 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I remember you writing you had a third-party battery grip … is the tray from that any good?
It may be easier to find another clone grip for parts than a Pentax-original tray
Hi Thanks for replying, I tried the third party tray. it goes all the way in great, but won't lock.
There are no other issues wqith the grip, this time it works perfectly with my K5ii. As it only cost me £30 for a genuine used grip, I may have to just use AA's with it as finding the other tray sems impossile.
Cheers again
take care

Ian
03-17-2022, 04:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I expect 4 rechargeable AA batteries will last longer than one 109, not to mention cheaper.
Also available everywhere; I use them in lots of "stuff" and have 20 or 30 around.

03-17-2022, 05:40 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
I expect 4 rechargeable AA batteries will last longer than one 109, not to mention cheaper.
Also available everywhere; I use them in lots of "stuff" and have 20 or 30 around.
Hi thanks for checking in. I don't think they do last as long, but as the grip only cost £30 I'm happy to go with the flow. Strange that a tray for the 109 is hard to find though.
Take care
Thanks
Ian B
03-17-2022, 09:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't find the aa tray😁
03-17-2022, 10:47 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Joetitch Quote
I can't find the aa tray😁
Ha ha lol 😆

03-17-2022, 11:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by big.ianbullivant Quote
Ha ha lol 😆
Actually 😭
Don't hurt my feeling.
Note that this is singular as I'm not much of an emotional guy.
I paid $50. AUD for my genuine d-bg4 without the AA tray.
It would be great if the trays could be bought as parts direct from the distributor.
Oh such first world problems.
03-18-2022, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The BG-4 grip came with a tray for the D-LI90 battery, same as for the body (K5ii). I don't think that the 109 battery even existed at the time.
03-18-2022, 04:07 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It was/is the standard battery for the K30, you had to buy the adapter to be able to use AAs. The K30 came out in 2012, same year as the K5ii/K5iis. Incidentally, I have a third-party battery grip for my K5iis, and it works flawlessly
03-18-2022, 05:18 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doesn’t the bg4 use the li90? Only the KP grip uses both types as far as I know.
03-18-2022, 07:16 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Doesn’t the bg4 use the li90? Only the KP grip uses both types as far as I know.
you are correct

QuoteQuote:
Battery grip
BG4 (takes D-LI90 or 6x AA)
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-k-5-ii.html#ixzz7Ntd1nnWI

details of the Pentax battery grips for the K 7 and K 5 " family "
QuoteQuote:
Description:
D-BG4 battery grip for use with the K-7 DSLR and the K-5 DSLRs.

-Comes with two inserts: one that accepts 6 AA batteries, and one that accepts an additional rechargeable battery
-Can also hold an SD card with the rechargeable battery insert

Controls:
-2 e-dials
-ISO & exposure compensation buttons
-"Green" button
-AF button
-AE-L button
Read more at: Pentax Battery Grip D-BG4 for K-5 and K-7 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

details for all of the Pentax battery grips:

Grips (Genuine Pentax) - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/Grips-Genuine-Pentax-c138.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-18-2022 at 10:37 AM.
03-18-2022, 12:38 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just pulled out my DBG4, and can confirm that it uses the Li90 battery in one tray and 6 AA batteries in the other.

Regarding rechargeable AA batteries, they vary in capacity from 1200 mAh to 2500 mAh; if one uses the "better" higher rated batteries, they will last as long as the Li90.

How to tell if you have good AA batteries- search this forum for several learned threads, or just weigh the cells!
Eneloop branded are rated "min 1900" and weigh 30 g each ; light blue Tenergy AAs also weigh 30g and are rated "2500"; other cells may weigh as little as 16 g each!
That is why some are much cheaper than the "good" ones, there is only about 1/2 the "battery" in the battery!

This compares with the li90 Pentax battery rated 1860 and other brands li90 rated from 1900 to 2600! Someday I'll weigh the different brands of Li90 and see how they vary.
The Pentax Li109 is rated 1050 mha.
Note the larger combined cells are rated at 7.2 or 7.5 v for their respective mAh ratings; for the AAs at 1.25v, one doesn't get 6x the rating as it takes all 6 to reach 7.5v
03-19-2022, 01:35 AM - 1 Like   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Joetitch Quote
Actually 😭
Don't hurt my feeling.
Note that this is singular as I'm not much of an emotional guy.
I paid $50. AUD for my genuine d-bg4 without the AA tray.
It would be great if the trays could be bought as parts direct from the distributor.
Oh such first world problems.
Ha Ha being a pentax owner is definately a way of life compared maybe to the big 3 as it is now. But for all our hardships we own the very best of cameras £ for £ or $ for $ :+)

---------- Post added 03-19-22 at 01:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
The BG-4 grip came with a tray for the D-LI90 battery, same as for the body (K5ii). I don't think that the 109 battery even existed at the time.
Thanks
I didn't know that to be fair.

---------- Post added 03-19-22 at 01:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by allanmh Quote
It was/is the standard battery for the K30, you had to buy the adapter to be able to use AAs. The K30 came out in 2012, same year as the K5ii/K5iis. Incidentally, I have a third-party battery grip for my K5iis, and it works flawlessly
Sadly my third party grip doesn't but works perfectly with my K7 ha ha

---------- Post added 03-19-22 at 01:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I think even the original K1 used the battery too.
Cheers

---------- Post added 03-19-22 at 01:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
you are correct

Read more at: Pentax K-5 II - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Read more at: Pentax Battery Grip D-BG4 for K-5 and K-7 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Thanks for the details here.
Yes I have a third party grip that works excellently on my K7 using the 109 insert. but this grip doesnt function correctly on my K5ii.
So I purchased a used Pentax BG4 this works like a dream but only came withh the AA insert and as I have a plethora of expensive 109's I was hoping to be able to purchase a tray. Alas the are rarer than hens teeth Ha ha :+)
At £30 for my genuine grip I cant argue so have purchased rechargable Aa batteries and charger.
I was hoping someone on here would know where I could purchase the tray, but it seems they just are not out there ha ha

Cheers

Ian B

---------- Post added 03-19-22 at 01:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
you are correct

Read more at: Pentax K-5 II - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Thanks for the details here.
Yes I have a third party grip that works excellently on my K7 using the 109 insert. but this grip doesnt function correctly on my K5ii.
So I purchased a used Pentax BG4 this works like a dream but only came withh the AA insert and as I have a plethora of expensive 109's I was hoping to be able to purchase a tray. Alas the are rarer than hens teeth Ha ha :+)
At £30 for my genuine grip I cant argue so have purchased rechargable Aa batteries and charger.
I was hoping someone on here would know where I could purchase the tray, but it seems they just are not out there ha ha

Cheers

Ian B

---------- Post added 03-19-22 at 01:57 AM ----------

Thanks for all the info good folks and the smiles. I have taken the advice re- AA's "DonV" I have purchased some good ones and a charger. I was hoping to bag a tray for the 109's as I have so many and they are expensive. Alas it was'nt meant to be, but happy to go with your advice. Charged em over night and are working great.

Very grateful for all the advice

Cheers all you good pentax folks