Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2022, 05:56 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Flexshooter head, Wimberley monogimbal

any forum members here using the Flexshooter heads?

Are they strictly to be paired with tripod, or they are also rather useable with monopod?

Any members with experience of using before (or currently) both the Flexshooter head and the Wimberley monogimbal?

What do you think are the Plus and Minuses of them?

Thanks in advance.

03-31-2022, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
steamloco76 uses one, check his review

Tripod Heads - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
03-31-2022, 07:36 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
steamloco76 uses one, check his review

Tripod Heads - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Thanks a lot.

Yeah, am aware of this.
Had actually asked about the monogimbal some time ago and many members responded, with a lot of valuable inputs.
Appreciate that.

Hoping those who have experience with Flexshooter can share, and even more so those who have experience with both.
03-31-2022, 08:28 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That Wimberly Monogimbel is rock solid, and stays out of the way. Good choice. I also use mine with Wimberly's own mount, again a simple and solid product, on a Benro A38FD when using the 150-450 on longer walks out in the field. They often have blemished units available (that's what I purchased) at pretty significant savings. They're going to get marred anyway, but I was hard-pressed to find the supposed blemish on the hardware I received.
The company is very particular about its products.

Wimberley Professional Photo Gear - Blemished Items

03-31-2022, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will never understand why someone would buy a (much to expensive for the very simple thing it is) Wimberley monogimbal.

When u use a simple ball head with ball set at 90 degrees, you have exactly the same thing.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
VTR-L09  Photo 

Last edited by Sakura; 03-31-2022 at 09:44 AM.
03-31-2022, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
I will never understand why someone would buy a (much to expensive for the very simple thing it is) Wimberley monogimbal.

When u use a simple ball head with ball set at 90 degrees, you have exactly the same thing.
If they work for you, and apparently they do, that's great. I found them way too fiddley, too much movement possible when unlocking the ballhead. I don't particularly like them on a tripod either, even tho I rarely (almost never) use one anyway. With the Wimberly I can go from the lens supported across the top of my shoulders, very comfortable carry BTW, to unlock and fire in seconds, maybe 4 at most and I think less if it's a real rush. For landscapes a ballhead works, and yeah I've used 'em in the past, but for fast deploy birding and such I think the ballhead would really slow me down and too many shots missed.

So the ballhead experience is not the same as the monogimbel in my opinion. If you haven't used the Wimberly for any significant time it would be easy to assume it is. But I also agree the Wimberley is a simple concept, albeit a patented one. There's nothing similar and he charges what his market will bear. I wish it weren't quite as expensive as it is but the owner obviously takes a lot of pride in it and the product is flawless. That's not an exaggeration, I saw a couple of them in use before buying one for myself. But for me I didn't need flawless and perfectly happy saving significantly with a blemished one where the actual finish flaw can't be found without close inspection anyway. For all intent it's pristine.

If you're on a budget, and most of us are, your ball-head looks like a very good solution, and probably the most cost-effective choice for just getting from A to B. Thanks for bringing it up. But it's not the same as the Wimberley.

Last edited by gatorguy; 03-31-2022 at 03:24 PM.
03-31-2022, 11:50 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
any forum members here using the Flexshooter heads?

Are they strictly to be paired with tripod, or they are also rather useable with monopod?

Any members with experience of using before (or currently) both the Flexshooter head and the Wimberley monogimbal?

What do you think are the Plus and Minuses of them?

Thanks in advance.
OMG! So I just looked at the Flexshooter and for the price the Wimberley wins by a long shot. It's also smaller, lighter and definitely monopod friendly. Watching Flexshooter videos it looks too bulky to be mounting on a monopod which is intended to be a more compact and maneuverable support. Seems it would defeat the purpose of one to me.

Maybe someone here has actually used it on a monopod, but looking at the tripods the Flexshooter is mounted to, try to imagine it being on a single leg instead.
When reviewers are claiming it smaller and lighter than a Wimberley gimbel they are not referring to the Monogimbel. They have other gimbels meant for tripods and yes those are a whole lot larger.

03-31-2022, 05:06 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Personally, a simple Tilt head is the best option on a Monopod, keeps the weight centred ontop of the monopod pole, not off to one side, much easier to use, I actually use a small fluid head (Gitzo GHF2W) on my monopod with long lenses, such as the FA*600/f4 and Sigma 500/f4.5, as well as the DFA150-450. There are plenty of options for cheaper tiltheads for monopod on B&H to compare .

I also, would personally not recommend using the DFA 150-450 on a sidemount , it's a lot of strain on the lens foot and the attachment to the lens itself. It is designed to take the weight and stresses on a horizontal mount, forces going down, using it sidemounted is putting to much strain on the dovetail that attaches the lens foot to the lens itself, and could result in metal fatigue and failure of the dovetail.
04-01-2022, 04:50 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Personally, a simple Tilt head is the best option on a Monopod, keeps the weight centred ontop of the monopod pole, not off to one side, much easier to use, I actually use a small fluid head (Gitzo GHF2W) on my monopod with long lenses, such as the FA*600/f4 and Sigma 500/f4.5, as well as the DFA150-450. There are plenty of options for cheaper tiltheads for monopod on B&H to compare .

I also, would personally not recommend using the DFA 150-450 on a sidemount , it's a lot of strain on the lens foot and the attachment to the lens itself. It is designed to take the weight and stresses on a horizontal mount, forces going down, using it sidemounted is putting to much strain on the dovetail that attaches the lens foot to the lens itself, and could result in metal fatigue and failure of the dovetail.
While I had initially wondered about "off to the side", in actual use I've never felt it to be unbalanced, and in fact might assist in keeping the monopole itself out of my way. It also carries a LOT nicer with the weight distributed across both shoulders and top of the back instead of the entire weight of the lens and camera pressing the monopod into the front of one shoulder. That's was at least part of the reason I tried and quickly abandoned the idea of using a monopod at all out in the field. It was uncomfortable. With the Monogimbel I can carry for hours and be OK with it.

BUT your mention of putting added strain on the lens foot might be an issue to be aware of. The mount on the 150-450 seems pretty substantial and solid, but I've also seen some guys here mention breaking a 60-250 or *300 foot, noting they're apparently identical mounts, interchangeable, Is the 150-450 foot designed better, or a stronger metal alloy less prone to stress cracks? I've haven't seen anyone mention breaking one, but several involving the DA 60-250. Dunno.
(Sidenote: I just yesterday receive the Fanotec foot for my *300.)

So thanks very much for bringing up the point of lens foot strain, something I haven't considered at all. Definitely valid. After you brought it up I don't know if I'd trust side-mounting the *300 or 60-250 when even upright use can crack the mount.
04-01-2022, 08:19 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

Indeed.

This consideration is a major thing that held me back from the Monogimbal and had me looking back at the Flexshooter again.

Although, with the Flexshooter, the issue is whether it could be used ok on a monopod.
So long could still use it ok with a monopod, then i am all for it.

I kept thinking about how, mounting lenses such as the DFA 150-450, DA560 on the monogimbal, the stress forces may just not be that well handled.

Unfortunately, Pentax chose that way of approach with their tripod collars.
If they went on the way of the Sigma TS-31, TS-41 type of approach, then i have no hesitation of mounting on Monogimbal.

Thanks for mentioning the Gitzo.
Will check it out.
04-01-2022, 08:26 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
Indeed.

This consideration is a major thing that held me back from the Monogimbal and had me looking back at the Flexshooter again.

Although, with the Flexshooter, the issue is whether it could be used ok on a monopod.
So long could still use it ok with a monopod, then i am all for it.

I kept thinking about how, mounting lenses such as the DFA 150-450, DA560 on the monogimbal, the stress forces may just not be that well handled.

Unfortunately, Pentax chose that way of approach with their tripod collars.
If they went on the way of the Sigma TS-31, TS-41 type of approach, then i have no hesitation of mounting on Monogimbal.

Thanks for mentioning the Gitzo.
Will check it out.
Yup, he's prompted me to do more research into it as well.
04-01-2022, 01:31 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, a simple Tilt head is the best option on a Monopod... personally not recommend using the DFA 150-450 on a sidemount , it's a lot of strain on the lens foot and the attachment to the lens itself.
I may end up taking your advice since the 150-450 is not an inexpensive lens. I've ordered a Really Right Stuff MH-1 tilthead and will see if I can make it comfortable enough to carry for a few hours. If not, then worst case I sell it.

Thanks for the input.
04-01-2022, 02:54 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Folks overlook the Induro tilt head but it's an amazing piece of equipment. It comes in several configurations -- load ratings and tilt or tilt and pan. They are also less expensive than all the above.
04-02-2022, 08:07 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
. With the Wimberly I can go from the lens supported across the top of my shoulders, very comfortable carry BTW, to unlock and fire in seconds, maybe 4 at most and I think less if it's a real rush.
Have you an image demonstrating your carry method?

04-03-2022, 03:32 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
Have you an image demonstrating your carry method?

I'll tell my wife I need a rear-end shot.

Yeah, I'll get it for you.