Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2009, 11:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Alan, We all appreciate your effort. I just bought a set 1 transceiver and 3 receivers also bought a viv 285HV, I would also like to mount my AF360FGZ, if I understand correctly I need to buy a pc hot shoe adapter to make the 360 work, Is this correct?

I would also like to make my second camera a K10D fire. What is the right connection to make this work?

All the goodies should be here sometime next week.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

John

01-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Good info and probably longer then what I will need, But I wonder if it would make any difference if the light was on a stand.

John
01-12-2009, 12:51 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Got to use the Cybersyncs over the weekend for a shoot. There were about 3 misfires out of 101 shots and a total of probably 200 clicks (including digital preview). However, I suspect a problem with flash recharge rather than the triggers. The subsequent shutter click always worked, without me adjusting position. With the old eBay triggers, if the flash didn't fire, I had to change positions.
02-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #19

Ben, thanks for the review.

I've been using the cybersync setup with my two Alien Bees strobes for about 4 months and have been very happy with the whole setup.

However, I need some more portability and am considering buying either a Pentax AF540FGZ and or Pentax AF360FGZ.

I was wondering, what port do the Pentax flashes have for connection to the cybersync receivers? Can you use the standard mini phone jack that comes with the cybersync, do you need an alternative cable, or do you need a remote hotshoe?

Final question (!) - if i use the cybersync transmitter on a k20d and connect the cybersync receiver to a Pentax AF540FGZ, am i still able to get high speed sync beyone 1/180?

02-14-2009, 09:36 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by davebest Quote
Ben, thanks for the review.

I've been using the cybersync setup with my two Alien Bees strobes for about 4 months and have been very happy with the whole setup.

However, I need some more portability and am considering buying either a Pentax AF540FGZ and or Pentax AF360FGZ.

I was wondering, what port do the Pentax flashes have for connection to the cybersync receivers? Can you use the standard mini phone jack that comes with the cybersync, do you need an alternative cable, or do you need a remote hotshoe?
You'll need a hot shoe adapter with a female PC socket to connect the CyberSync to your 360/540 flashes (the 540 has a 5P sync port on it, the 360 has no sync port).

QuoteQuote:
Final question (!) - if i use the cybersync transmitter on a k20d and connect the cybersync receiver to a Pentax AF540FGZ, am i still able to get high speed sync beyone 1/180?
Unfortunately the 540 only supports HSS when physically connected to the camera (directly on the shoe or via an F5P cable/shoe) or with the built-in wireless mode.
02-15-2009, 06:28 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
You'll need a hot shoe adapter with a female PC socket to connect the CyberSync to your 360/540 flashes (the 540 has a 5P sync port on it, the 360 has no sync port).

Unfortunately the 540 only supports HSS when physically connected to the camera (directly on the shoe or via an F5P cable/shoe) or with the built-in wireless mode.
Jim - thanks for the note. So, if i'm planning to trigger one 540 and one 360, both remote from the camera, and with HSS, is the following option going to work?

540 connected to k20 via F5P cable/shoe. CST mounted on k20 shoe. 360 connected to hot shoe adapter with CSRB connected via female pc socket on adapter.

Is this a workable solution, or would you just suggest using the built in wireless mode? (i've read that using the wireless triggers makes it more reliable, but need to check how they can all be connected and still get HSS). Thanks
03-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #22

I just purchased a transmitter and receiver. Can anyone recommend a flash to be used with this? I will probably be buying it from craigslist.

Also, where can one purchase one of these hot shoe devices with the correct port? I would need one of these for my af360.

03-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #23
Marketplace Reseller

just wondering what the fastest shutter speed is you can get with a wireless strobe and radio sync on a k200d
03-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #24
Inactive Account

great review

Wow thanks for the review.I looked Paul up and found out he is here in Nashville where I am from
03-08-2009, 08:54 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by adamkean Quote
just wondering what the fastest shutter speed is you can get with a wireless strobe and radio sync on a k200d
In theory you can sync at 1/180 with the Cybersyncs, monolights and a K200D. The instructions indicate to step that down to increase reliability which I have found to be true with the limited testing that I've done. So it looks like 1/90-1/125 is the fastest you can go to insure that the strobes fire 100% of the time. From the instructions:

"The exposure time should be normally set one or two clicks slower than your camera’s maximum flash sync speed. For example, if your camera’s maximum sync speed is 1/250 second you should set it to 1/200 or 1/160 second.

While the latency (time from camera trigger to received flash command) of Cyber Sync is typically only 1/4000 second, setting the camera faster than its max flash sync speed with any manual flash unit will result in dark, unexposed areas."

ALSO: The issue with the protrusion of the test buttons outside of the case of the transmitter and receiver appears to have been addressed. While there may still be an issue of accidental activation of the receivers in a bag, the buttons stick out far less on my copies compared to the photos posted. While not perfect, it is an improvement.

I would recommend these to anyone wanting to go wireless for "basic" flash triggering. For advanced control of your monolights, there are better options out there. And, Paul C. Buff is working on an advanced transmitter for future release that will offer greater control of your lights:

AlienBees: The RadioRemote One Wireless System

Last edited by CalendarGuy; 03-08-2009 at 10:05 AM.