Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
05-20-2022, 02:09 PM   #31
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Twist on Gitzo's and knobs on the Benbo's, no Clamps were hurt or injured in the making of my images.

05-20-2022, 03:29 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Levers/flip clamps on my carbon Manfrotto. Biggest issue is not trapping bits of flabby finger flesh when locking in, I seem to do it every time. Knobs on the Benbo are a bit less precise on locking point.
05-20-2022, 07:45 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've always perfered the flip-lock. I needed to adjust the locks on my ancient aluminum Bogen-Manfrotto 3001. But a newer 55 carbon fiber and a current model 190cf4 have been perfect.

My Giottos CF MG has the twist type and they always fail due to operator error, but mechanically worked. There is just something in my brain about that. I had another cheap tripod with twist lock type locks that were structurally fine but I never tightened properly.

Manfrotto, Manfrotto, Manfrotto.
05-22-2022, 07:48 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have many tripods and I have to say both have their pros and cons. But for sheer simplicity and field serviceability I'm a fan of clamps.

05-23-2022, 04:58 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I have many tripods and I have to say both have their pros and cons. But for sheer simplicity and field serviceability I'm a fan of clamps.
Agree on serviceability. The only real thing I don't like about clamps is how they can catch on stuff.
05-23-2022, 06:35 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not a fan of tripods in general, but monopods are growing on me. I personally wouldn't buy one with twist locks. I'm accustomed to unsnapping, letting the leg drop and then clamp closed, all one-handed. Closing is even easier, clamp all three (or 4) sections at the same time. Benro three clamp and Manfrotto 4 clamp monopods, the Benro being my favorite.
05-23-2022, 11:33 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I'm not a fan of tripods in general, but monopods are growing on me. I personally wouldn't buy one with twist locks. I'm accustomed to unsnapping, letting the leg drop and then clamp closed, all one-handed. Closing is even easier, clamp all three (or 4) sections at the same time. Benro three clamp and Manfrotto 4 clamp monopods, the Benro being my favorite.
You'd probably like "trigger" monopods, that let you pull a trigger or push a button to release the sections. I wish I had that on my tripod a lot of times...

05-23-2022, 11:49 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
You'd probably like "trigger" monopods, that let you pull a trigger or push a button to release the sections. I wish I had that on my tripod a lot of times...
Like spring-loaded in a sense? They make those? Gosh, on location that would be great.
05-23-2022, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Clamps, always (for me), going back to a Slik I had in the ‘70’s. You can loosen them all at once, in one motion, let’em drop and then clamp them back up - levels the tripod in seconds rather than loosen each one individually

But to each their own, there might be similar tricks for twist-locks?
05-23-2022, 08:27 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
You'd probably like "trigger" monopods, that let you pull a trigger or push a button to release the sections.
They are certainly convenient, however you run into their capacity limits pretty quickly with telephoto lenses.
05-24-2022, 03:54 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

They are certainly convenient, however you run into their capacity limits pretty quickly with telephoto lenses.
Yup, I was looking at those. They aren't very stout so no way a 150-450 is going on it. Nice thought but crossed off the list.
05-24-2022, 06:33 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Like spring-loaded in a sense? They make those? Gosh, on location that would be great.
It's more like they drop when you hold it upright, IIRC----or maybe there's a little tab you step on and pull up? Memory failing me, but I think I have tried them at a shop or PhotoPlus Expo.
05-24-2022, 06:46 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Over at the tripod test site - “The Center Column”, they ran tests on identical Manfrotto tripods with both clamps and twist locks for stiffness and damping. And the winner is …. BOTH! It is a tie.

https://thecentercolumn.com/2019/06/22/twist-locks-vs-flip-locks/