Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #16
baw

QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
No doubt! Plus you have access to just about every procedure out there. It's better if you have a knee-board style or it's built-in to the avionics. Laptops are not the best option solo as it's not very compatible with safe CRM. Of course if you are in a crew environment, it's much easier.
Our EFB's are fixed and integrated with the FMS's. Pretty neat.
Since this is going way of topic here is an image.

12-18-2008, 12:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by baw Quote
Our EFB's are fixed and integrated with the FMS's. Pretty neat.
Since this is going way of topic here is an image.
Much nicer...and you don't have to worry about them being up to date...unless you have a stingy airline.
02-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It is kind of completely off topic. But sort of related to what I posted earlier

Some info if you have a netbook/laptop and you intend to drive in W Europe and you have a passenger going with you.

I do have a driving map iGuidance 2 (Europe 05) but it is kind of outdated .

While I was shopping for a driving map for Europe in this summer trip, I
have found out that Mappoint 2009 has a full trial version for download. Google Microsoft & mappoint 2009

Being the same as S&T , it (Mappoint 2009) is not exactly a great driving gps software unless you have a passenger with you handling your netbook or laptop.
But it is great that it is free and it is available now. And if S&T (Street & Trip) is
any indication , the map is a very detailed Navtaq map.

But there is no way that I can say how good it is. If you know one part. area in west E U really well you can download it and see for yourself.

Oh you need to buy a usb or blue tooth gps unit at around $20-100 beforehand (assuming you do not have no hardware at all )

Assuming you are located in N Am, nobody will stop you from downloading it now and installing it just before you head out to Europe

Daniel
02-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I've been looking at GPS units for a few months now. I think I need a handheld device for times on rivers and a limited amount of time hiking but also I need something for mountain roads. Spike is always with me so having a unit hooked directly to my laptop is kinda out of the question, he'd be all over it. Having a unit to work on the highways would be icing on the cake and I think I've found one, the Eathmate PN-40.

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=28646&promotio...IBHal%253AS%7E

Is anyone here familiar with this unit?
DeLorme, before the PN-20, was awfully expensive d/ling more maps but now you can download all you want in a year for $29.95. Months ago, I was researching their previous unit, sorry I can't remember the model number, and everyone complained about it's inability to keep drawing on the road but this unit seems to have overcome that limitation with it's dual processor. The cheapest price I've found is $329.95 but I won't need it for a few months so I'm not in a great hurry.

02-09-2009, 05:49 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
I've been looking at GPS units for a few months now. I think I need a handheld device for times on rivers and a limited amount of time hiking but also I need something for mountain roads. Spike is always with me so having a unit hooked directly to my laptop is kinda out of the question, he'd be all over it. Having a unit to work on the highways would be icing on the cake and I think I've found one, the Eathmate PN-40.

Earthmate GPS PN-40 with Topo USA 7.0 - Bundle - DeLorme

Is anyone here familiar with this unit?
DeLorme, before the PN-20, was awfully expensive d/ling more maps but now you can download all you want in a year for $29.95. Months ago, I was researching their previous unit, sorry I can't remember the model number, and everyone complained about it's inability to keep drawing on the road but this unit seems to have overcome that limitation with it's dual processor. The cheapest price I've found is $329.95 but I won't need it for a few months so I'm not in a great hurry.
I don't know the unit in your link, and scanning the article, there are a couple of things to check.

it says waterproof, but does it float? on a river that is more important. When it falls out of th eboat it is much more important to float than just be water proof.

it also does not sat anything about recording track points

how many cna it save, and in what format.

I use a Garmin GPS 76CSX because A it floats, and B because it can record to the limit of the SD card in 1 second increments the track log, for future downloading.
02-09-2009, 06:48 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Good points Lowell and I still haven't been able to find if it floats.
This is taken from them:

"The Tracks Page
Earthmate GPS PN-40 is set to record GPS tracks by default. That means that the device will create a track (“breadcrumb trail”) of your travels until you turn recording off.
The Tracks Page lets you save, clear, or follow the current track, or view/follow an existing track. The device will store up to 10 track logs (with a 10,000 point limit each) in internal memory."

Is that satisfactory?
02-09-2009, 07:44 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Good points Lowell and I still haven't been able to find if it floats.
This is taken from them:

"The Tracks Page
Earthmate GPS PN-40 is set to record GPS tracks by default. That means that the device will create a track (“breadcrumb trail”) of your travels until you turn recording off.
The Tracks Page lets you save, clear, or follow the current track, or view/follow an existing track. The device will store up to 10 track logs (with a 10,000 point limit each) in internal memory."

Is that satisfactory?
yes and no.

Again, my experience is with garmin, so I am not sure, but let me explain how garmin works.

In the normal track log there is a fixed limit on points, this began as 2000 on my e-Map, and on my '76 is 10,000. this is a first in first out track, which is continually over written. therefore only the latest data is saved. THis can be written to using fixed time, or variable time. Variable time means if you are always moving in the same direction it increases the time between points, to make better use of the space.

when you save tracks to track back, the dime and date data is removed. This makes saved tracks useless for geo tagging.

This is how the normal "track log" works at least with Garmin.

There is a second feature on my '76, which allows you to write each track point in succession, to a GPX file on the SD card. one file per day, as many points as you want, up to one point per second. to read these files, I have to take the SD card out and use a card reader. no big deal.

As for floating, the garmin GPS 76 CSx is the same ias the GPS60 except for size. Size is everything when it comes to floating. the '60 sinks. the '76 floats
02-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #23
Veteran Member

'bout two months ago I purchased two Garmin GPS-18 USB Deluxe receivers. Got two of them because they were so inexpensive, only $40 each. Hooked up to my Asus EeePC, it makes a perfect travel companion. Battery life on the EeePC is about five hours.

Yeah, things are changing fast. I start teaching my class tonight, "Map Interpretation and GPS". Gonna have to update my material again.

02-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Re: Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx and DeLorme Earthmate PN-40

Lowell,

I was in the market for (yet another) GPS receiver. I narrowed my choices down to three units, the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx, the Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx, and the DeLorme Earthmate PN-40.

Even though I'm a (part time) mariner, the 76 was eliminated, if I remember correctly, due to respective user feedback between the 60 and 76. In the end, I opted for the DeLorme, primarily because it allow one's own maps/images to be input into the unit. But, I still lust for a 60CSx.

What's "worse", LBA or GBA (GPS Buyer's Addiction)? I still have more lenses than GPS receivers, but the receivers are catching up. In the stable currently is a Garmin eTrex Legend, (my original, much loved, but so awfully slow compared to current units), a Magellan eXplorist 500se, (great closeout price, easy to use), two Garmin GPS-18 USB DeLuxe, (for the laptop, one as a spare due to inexpensive price), and the new DeLorme PN-40, (nice unit, but needs the Colorado or Oregon sized screen).
02-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
Lowell,

I was in the market for (yet another) GPS receiver. I narrowed my choices down to three units, the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx, the Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx, and the DeLorme Earthmate PN-40.

Even though I'm a (part time) mariner, the 76 was eliminated, if I remember correctly, due to respective user feedback between the 60 and 76. In the end, I opted for the DeLorme, primarily because it allow one's own maps/images to be input into the unit. But, I still lust for a 60CSx.
for the DeLorme, can you advise about track points , track logs and what and how things are saved. THis may be important for users who want to do geotagging. As I point out, on the garmin, unless you program to write to the SD, you only get the last 10K points.

As for differences between the 76 and 60, I don't understand why there would be different feedback, electrically they are the same. just packeged differently such that one uses enough volume that it floats. That was a big issue for me, I go kayaking. anything that falls out needs to float.
02-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
for the DeLorme, can you advise about track points , track logs and what and how things are saved. THis may be important for users who want to do geotagging. As I point out, on the garmin, unless you program to write to the SD, you only get the last 10K points.

As for differences between the 76 and 60, I don't understand why there would be different feedback, electrically they are the same. just packeged differently such that one uses enough volume that it floats. That was a big issue for me, I go kayaking. anything that falls out needs to float.
Ah, another kayaker! The worst day on the water is better than any day on dry land. When paddling, I just take the Legend, as I purchased it when I lived aboard a sailboat and wanted a waterproof receiver to backup traditional navigation methods.

I'll have to check about track points with the DeLorme. Haven't had it all that long and am still getting used to it. Will report back, but probably won't be right away.
02-15-2009, 12:17 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I just had to upgrade my GPS ... my faithful Garmin StreetPilot 2610 finally gave up the ghost ... the last 6 months I had to use the remote as the touch screen was playing up ... now it just doesn't respond. I have had that unit for a good 4-5 years and it is served me well.

The old girl was $1300AUD new when i originally purchased it. The new one I just bought was only $499 with 7000 custom POIs pre-installed.

I was going to go for a higher end model ... but settled on the Nuvi 265WT ... and i have found that with a Garmin plugin you can upload images to the geotag location you specify on the GPS. Not that I'd use it though ... but I thought it was cool.

SUNA traffic channel work well for me too ... better than I was expecting.
02-15-2009, 12:22 AM   #28
Damn Brit

Moved to accessories
02-15-2009, 01:20 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I went out to Cabela's to see if they had a Earthmate PN-40.
They did but only one in the box, They didn't have one out to demo. I talked to a salesman and asked if it floated and he said he didn't think it did. He's wishing that they would get enough in stock to be able to demo one.
This unit looks to be the one for me but it's so new that I'm really looking for more feedback before I pull the trigger, I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts Volosong about your PN-40.
I bought Topo USA 2.0 back in the day and my main complaint with 2.0 was the maps were so out of date. For example, back in the late 60's to early 70's a new road was built on the St Joe river, on the opposite side of the river from the original road. Topo USA 2.0 was still showing the old road and I had bought the software in 1999 or 2000 (don't remember exactly). I'm hoping Topo USA 7.0 addresses some of these problems.
02-15-2009, 09:29 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Well, it looks like they have a great forum. We all know from our forum here what an invaluable resource a good forum can be.
DeLorme Forums – GPS, Topo & Street Mapping Software and XMap GIS

I'm close to pulling the trigger, it's in my Amazon cart for $339.95.