Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

GPS for image id and its operation

This is off topic. Sort of. If you want to get the gps info into your image, (like street address or coordinates), this can be done with a set like what I have

The link shows a Asus small (UMPC) pc (Ira has one like the image above) whereas my UMPC is Acer Aspire (last image) running XP. I was used to be very active in gps newsgroup back a few years ago and I still have quite a few gps units around. But this would have been out of this world back just 3 yrs ago. You have to see the 3D running image of the 9" screen on a fast moving vehicle middle of the night .

I have no time filming a utube thing. This is more or less what you will see in my car

YouTube - Asus Eee pc 4G/ iGuidance 3.0/ Holux gpslim236

The price of gps has dropped like a stone - faster than k20D. Back 3 years we talked about $1500 a piece.
I have always been a non-Garmin user and I have stuck to non proprietory gps units until just now. I just ordered a Garmin gps unit plus map (N Am) and software at Can$69. For a GPS long time user, the price is just unreal but true.
I doubt if I have any need for recording exact gps location on my image. I guess Nikon has something similar but very very pricey.
But with this set up, all you need is to load up your image to the umpc (120G HD & 1 G memory) and batch copy those gps info onto the image. That is it

Another neat way is to capture the gps info screen (with a shareware ) in jpg and include in your dig album. And next time you see the album you can refer to that jpg for any gps location. Very cool way of recording what you have got

By the way there is a little cam on the top of the screen of the umpc. You can take pict of where you have visited and record the gps location (altitude above sea level, long and lat coordinate, street address, or hiking trail whereabout...........). So it is ok that you can leave you k20D at home.

This is the image of it when my umpc (Acer Aspire One )and gps are in operation in my car in a typical drive to out of State drive . You can visualise the relative size of the unit compared with the passenger side seat

The gps unit no more than the size of an older match box can usu be placed on the dashboard.

Once it is set up all you need is to follow the voice directional commands

Daniel

12-17-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
baw

GPS useage

Hi Daniel

I use the same Holux GPS you have. It feeds a navigator on my mobile phone.
It also drives a program that creates a GPX file I use to automatically Geotag my images.
Have a look at this thread.

To see how geotagged images can be used, have a look at the "Geotag Demo" album on my website (signature). (you need to have Google Earth installed)
12-17-2008, 12:06 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
ATP PhotoFinder mini - At A Glance - Reviews by PC Magazine

This ^^^^appears to be an interesting set up if you don't need the GPS unit to find your way as well. For me, I will probably be going with a hand held unit and some syncing software for when I hike...
12-17-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do you also have to sync your camera's clock to make sure it's not too far off from the GPS signal's clock?
One other useful app is OziExplorer if you have a PDA...it can record GPS waypoints and you can load topo or nautical maps onto it to see exactly where you are.

p.s., that Holux is a great GPS...I have the same one ;-)

12-17-2008, 09:53 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
lol, my brother also used a similar setup in his car, only problem is if i was sitting in the front seat i had to hold his laptop.....
i personally use a phone with bluetooth gps for navigation. havent really felt the need to geotag pictures yet, but i have the software on the phone for it.....
12-18-2008, 03:28 AM   #6
baw

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Do you also have to sync your camera's clock to make sure it's not too far off from the GPS signal's clock?
In the geotagging software I've seen you can add a correction to the gps log times. So it's not really necessary to have both camera and gps in sync. It doesn't hurt either
Simple trick: take a shot of your gps device showing the time. When geotagging at home you have this time + the EXIF time of that image. Use the difference as correction in your software.
12-18-2008, 04:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a couple of threads in the accessories forum about this.

I have used garmin GPS units for years, and fot he past 2 years I have used a program called GeoSetter (It's freeware) to geotag my photos.

the processis as follows.

From the GPS download the track points in a .gpx file (GPS Exchange file). In a gps unit that saves track points to a micro SD card, there is usually a file per day saved in this format.

Put your photos in a directory, the gpx fime in another (you can tell the software the location of both). and providing the time clock on your camera is correct, it will link all your photos to the gpx file and show on a mapquest map, the location of all photos.

There is provision for time clock adjustment, to get things right, and the ability to preview the data before writing to the file.

The only complaint I have, is the need to be linked to the internet, to see the locations on a mapquest map. I would prefer that the software could use my existing garmin maps.

12-18-2008, 05:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Suddenly I feel old.... I use maps - printed ones on paper!
12-18-2008, 06:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
Suddenly I feel old.... I use maps - printed ones on paper!
What is this "paper map" you speak of?

Even with GPS technology, paper maps and approach plates are still used in aviation (even required).

Paper maps are not dependent on a power source that can fail.
12-18-2008, 06:46 AM   #10
baw

QuoteOriginally posted by navcom Quote
Even with GPS technology, paper maps and approach plates are still used in aviation (even required).
But I do like this Airport Map function on the EFB, certainly in very low visibility.
12-18-2008, 06:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One useful and handy way to recording geo location of your image

Say you take 20 images from this location.

Just grap that screen image (several software some free can do that ) in jpg and dump that in the same folder of the 20 images. Next time you do screen play you will know exactly where you took the images .

Very handy indeed even for non computer person playing back the jpg or avi dvd

Daniel
12-18-2008, 07:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

I have used garmin GPS units for years, and fot he past 2 years I have used a program called GeoSetter (It's freeware) to geotag my photos.
Gee. Things have gone really cheap now. I have just got a new Garmin 2009 map plus a usb gps at a grand total of US$55 (not an update but a full blown version) plus shipping plus tax. I was running the 2008 version this morning with my umpc before it is updated to new 2009 CNNA.

Magellan, a big player in old days, has been taken over by Mitac too

We are all very old gps user (actually for me it is just 6 yrs). I recall in the old days of 2610-2620 nothing came even under $1K

Daniel
12-18-2008, 07:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baw Quote
Hi Daniel

I use the same Holux GPS you have. It feeds a navigator on my mobile phone.
It also drives a program that creates a GPX file I use to automatically Geotag my images.
Have a look at this thread.

To see how geotagged images can be used, have a look at the "Geotag Demo" album on my website (signature). (you need to have Google Earth installed)
I love both Holux and Globalsat. They are foolproof and almost indestuctible. So the one you have is a BT one feeding to your BT phone?

Daniel
12-18-2008, 09:18 AM   #14
baw

QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
So the one you have is a BT one feeding to your BT phone?Daniel
Yep, Holux GPSlim 236 with BT.
Feeds a T-Mobile MDA running Windows Mobile.
12-18-2008, 10:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baw Quote
But I do like this Airport Map function on the EFB, certainly in very low visibility.

No doubt! Plus you have access to just about every procedure out there. It's better if you have a knee-board style or it's built-in to the avionics. Laptops are not the best option solo as it's not very compatible with safe CRM. Of course if you are in a crew environment, it's much easier.

There are some pretty awesome gadgets out there that add a huge safety factor to aviation these days. I always told students to have their land-based GPS from their survival kit handy on night IFR flights. If you end up having to dead-stick and you are above the deck, most airnav GPS's don't do much for you unless you are near an airport. That hand-held has all the roads and obstacles on it versus just routes and terrain. And if you are at altitude, you have plenty of time to fire it up. Use it to line up near a road and also away from the population so when you break through the deck, you have a much better chance of avoiding the houses, landing on or alongside the road, or at least being in an area where you will be seen after the crash.