Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2008, 09:36 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
I need help setting up AF-540FGZ to k10d

I have a few questions about the best setting for my k10d and af-540 fgz flash. I want to set it up on the most auto setting I can get . I have the 18-55 lens that came with the k10d .I will be taking pictures in side the house for christmas pics of kids and stuff .I took the camera and flash to a christmas party to try some things out .On the flash I had it (setting switch)so the white was showing next to test ,the green flash and green arrow on the (sync mode switch), (p-ttl) was displayed along with (a.zoom).I put the dial on the camera on the green setting .and I didn't put the iso on auto like I probley should have ,I had it on 100 iso. #1 should I set the camera on auto iso, #2 what dial setting works best (p) or green square or something. #3 what should the flash (setting switch) be on yellow showing or white showing. And if there is any other setting on camera you thing I need to look at and change to make pictures turn out the best they can with the 540 flash on . Thanks Steve

12-14-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For automatic P-TTL shooting, I think the program mode works fine: shutter speed is basically irrelevant because the flash duration is the important part of the exposure. This leaves aperture and ISO as exposure factors, and I've found an interesting quirk in the programming there:
  • if you have ISO set at 400 or above, the P mode likes to give you a lot of depth of field: it puts the aperture at around f/8.
  • if you have ISO set at below 400, it likes to put the aperture to around f/2.8.

Therefore, for simplest operation, you can set the ISO to 400 (which will give very nice results on the K10D) basically not worry about anything else (unless you want to!)

As for the green square mode: that's basically P with options removed. You can use it if you don't want to think.

A tip, though: make sure you have the camera updated to the latest firmware (anything after 1.1, in fact), and then use the AF540FGZ off-camera.
  1. Put the flash somewhere pointed at the ceiling so the bounced light illuminates where you expect the action to be.
  2. In the config menu on the camera, switch to using the on-camera flash as a controller rather than as "master". This makes it simply trigger the other flash, not actually contribute to the exposure.
  3. On the camera in the Fn menu, set the flash to the icon with the flash arrow and the letter W.
  4. Shoot away.

This will free you from the bulk of the camera and generally give nicer lighting.
12-14-2008, 11:52 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
thanks mattdm .I did notice on the pictures I took at the party that the f stop was low like you said and people standing next to each other one was in focus and the other was not .I like the higher f stop like 8 or above ,thats a great idea. In the p mode what should I have program line on . normal,hi speed, depth or mtf .and what about the metering method what works best with flash multi, center or spot. and what about the focusing area auto,sel or center . thanks for your help Steve
12-15-2008, 06:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxk10duser Quote
thanks mattdm .I did notice on the pictures I took at the party that the f stop was low like you said and people standing next to each other one was in focus and the other was not .I like the higher f stop like 8 or above ,thats a great idea.
I suggest setting up the USER mode for flash operation, by the way: get it all set up with the right ISO, white balance, and so on, and save it.

QuoteQuote:
In the p mode what should I have program line on . normal,hi speed, depth or mtf .and what about the metering method what works best with flash multi, center or spot. and what about the focusing area auto,sel or center . thanks for your help Steve
I think the program line setting is ignored when flash is used and it uses a separate algorithm. For metering, the important thing is to not use spot metering until you know why you'd use it. Center-weighted will probably give the most consistent results with flash but matrix should work fine.

And focusing is up to you.