Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Auto zoom on AF-540FGZ question

Does it work with the flash off camera? It works fin when mounted to the camera, but when it is off camera used in conjunction with the pop up flash the auto zoom doesn't function. For my shooting needs and spaces it isn't a problem setting the flash zoom manually. I'm just wondering if this is normal or am I not setting something right. I've looked in the manual and am not finding the answer. Sure it's there and I'm just missing it.

12-14-2008, 10:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It's normal. Since the flash has no idea where it's pointing in relation to your camera, even if it knew the current focal length it wouldn't have enough information to set the right zoom.
12-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
It's normal. Since the flash has no idea where it's pointing in relation to your camera, even if it knew the current focal length it wouldn't have enough information to set the right zoom.
Thanks. I am still on the very low end of the learning curve with flash photography, but I am really happy with my results so far. This flash is miles away from the 360fgz, but will find a use for the 360 when it gets repaired.