Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2008, 05:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tripod and head choice - Good or bad ?

Hi

Was thinking of buying the Manfroto 190 X PROB with the 486RC2 Compact head.

Will it be a good choice ? or does anyone recommend other set ?

Thanks for the opinions/comments.

12-15-2008, 07:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Netuser, I have only a couple of minutes before I'm off to work. There have recently been a lot of discussions on this topic, scroll down through the threads. Also, we need much more info on what you need the setup for. Long heavy lenses? Are you going hiking with it? etc etc.
12-15-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Your height may make a difference as well. I had to rule out the 190 series because I'm too tall (the center column would have to be used more than I'm comfortable with).
12-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm 1,70 meters and the porpuse of the set is for hiking with it. Nature stuff etc.
(For now I only have 1 heavy lens.)

12-15-2008, 10:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have this exact set and I like it a lot! Based on your height, I think it would work well for you. While it's substantial, it's not too heavy. I have yet to carry it on a nature hike, but before I do, I plan on getting a tripod strap to carry it around on my back. Unless your biggest lens is huge (ie--a Bigma), you should be able to put just about anything on it. FYI--my heaviest lens at the moment is the DA55-300, but I'm hoping to get a Sigma 105 soon and it's just a little bit heavier (16.1 oz.).

HTH,
Heather
12-15-2008, 10:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've been looking into this exact set as well and waiting for some cash flow before I carry the set home from a local store heh.