Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2022, 05:47 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
I wish you hadn't asked that
I recall seeing/reading about the fact that the K-3 Mark III could be charged via USB, and that it was necessary to use the supplied battery, but blowed if I can find anything definitive about it now.
The only thing I can see is in the manual, page 38 where it says "Use only the D-LI90 exclusively developed for this camera", which isn't very informative.
Sorry I can't back up my statement with any good reference. Maybe others will recall something about this, or I've been dreaming!

Cheers,
Terry
It is indeed a cryptic suggestion by Ricoh/Pentax, but the obvious reason behind it is that if you use non-original manufactured DLi90's there is danger that when charging a non original battery may damage the camera. In a lot of posts on this forum about using second parties batteries it was mentioned that some of those during charging expanded and were difficult to get in or out of the camera. Imagine what happens if such a battery is in your camera and you charge using USB you and the battery expands a bit what might happen to the innards of your expensive K-3 MIII! If you use that kind of battery contrary to the advice Ricoh gave, your warranty is void.

05-07-2022, 07:07 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wish you hadn't asked that
I recall seeing/reading about the fact that the K-3 Mark III could be charged via USB, and that it was necessary to use the supplied battery, but blowed if I can find anything definitive about it now.
The only thing I can see is in the manual, page 38 where it says "Use only the D-LI90 exclusively developed for this camera", which isn't very informative.
Sorry I can't back up my statement with any good reference. Maybe others will recall something about this, or I've been dreaming!

Cheers,
Terry
They may be using FUD for marketing.

I purchased USB chargers {to use in my car, which has a USB port} for both my KP and my Q-7, and have successfully charged both the Pentax battery that came with the KP and the Pentax battery that came with the Q-7 with them.

added: all the battery sees is voltages and currents - not where the electricity comes from.

Last edited by reh321; 05-07-2022 at 07:13 AM.
05-07-2022, 03:38 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
They may be using FUD for marketing.

I purchased USB chargers {to use in my car, which has a USB port} for both my KP and my Q-7, and have successfully charged both the Pentax battery that came with the KP and the Pentax battery that came with the Q-7 with them.

added: all the battery sees is voltages and currents - not where the electricity comes from.
Yes.
A look at the specs for the different chargers is interesting.
The conventional C-BC90 charger is 8.4V, 400mA.
The USB charger for the K-3 Mark III, AC-U2, is 5.0V, 1.0A

Cheers,
Terry
05-07-2022, 06:47 PM   #19
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Must have been lucky ( j/k ) my 2 newest are 2016 09 and 201610 bought in 2021.
My K5 11 is 201012

05-07-2022, 07:12 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
It is indeed a cryptic suggestion by Ricoh/Pentax, but the obvious reason behind it is that if you use non-original manufactured DLi90's there is danger that when charging a non original battery may damage the camera. In a lot of posts on this forum about using second parties batteries it was mentioned that some of those during charging expanded and were difficult to get in or out of the camera. Imagine what happens if such a battery is in your camera and you charge using USB you and the battery expands a bit what might happen to the innards of your expensive K-3 MIII! If you use that kind of battery contrary to the advice Ricoh gave, your warranty is void.
Correct. I've begun charging my batteries in camera lately (when I think of it) and one of them was a Watson. FWIW I've now put that particular battery aside since it doesn't play as well with my K1, and I have four authentic Pentax ones to use.

EDIT: I hadn't paid attention to the manufacture dates until this evening, and gosh there's a big range. I have one each 2015/12, 2018/06, 2020/07, 2020/12, and 2021/08. guess I have 5 and not 4.

Last edited by gatorguy; 05-07-2022 at 07:24 PM.
05-08-2022, 05:11 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I have one each 2015/12, 2018/06, 2020/07, 2020/12, and 2021/08. guess I have 5 and not 4.
I'll admit have D-LI90 batteries that came with my Pentax K5IIs and 645D that are still in rotation....that isn't the only Pelican 1010 case I have full of camera batteries.
05-08-2022, 03:03 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Correct. I've begun charging my batteries in camera lately (when I think of it) and one of them was a Watson. FWIW I've now put that particular battery aside since it doesn't play as well with my K1, and I have four authentic Pentax ones to use.

EDIT: I hadn't paid attention to the manufacture dates until this evening, and gosh there's a big range. I have one each 2015/12, 2018/06, 2020/07, 2020/12, and 2021/08. guess I have 5 and not 4.
I forgot to mention that the only DLi90 that causes problems is a Hoya produced one in my K-7. If I use Live View with flash the camera powers down after taking a picture. If I use a later model battery from the Ricoh era it works well. But, if I put the Hoya one in a more modern K-3 Mark II and use Live View with flash it shows no problems.

05-10-2022, 07:42 AM   #23

Duracell sell an D-Li90 equivalent that is very affordable and works well.
05-10-2022, 09:04 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Worth a mention...
Brought my K3III to work today to do some lens testing in my spare time. Turned it on and the battery indicator is yellow. Crap, no extra battery since I left my sling at home. But wait, I have a phone charger! Problem solved. Looked about an hour ago and it's now fully charged.
05-10-2022, 09:54 AM   #25
Veteran Member

The thing I learnt about batteries is to never let them go flat because if they go flat they loose their memory and never get a full charge again. I have been using that principle and I am still using some 20 year old batteries and they work excellant. Smart chargers also help a lot.
05-10-2022, 11:11 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Batteries do not appear to be getting better as new cameras are launched. I get better battery life out of my old K200D, which runs on four AA rechargeable batteries, than any other camera I own, with four high-capacity rechargeable Duracells giving me a good few hundred shots between charges, and very long shelf life if the camera isn't used. Yes, they're comparatively heavy, but they've lasted me seven or eight years now and would cost about a tenner for replacement, which beats most camera manufacturer's branded batteries.
05-16-2022, 07:57 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote

I've written to CRK querying the supply of such an old battery. No reply yet.
Any response to your query ?

Cheers,
Terry
05-16-2022, 09:29 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Any response to your query ?

Cheers,
Terry
No. But we know of at least three unhappy customers: you, Digitalis and me. They should at least reassure us that these batteries are to spec despite being 7 years old.

I was out shooting for the first time with mine on Sunday. So far so good, though I only took a little over 100 shots, so it wasn't much of a test yet. I'm going to keep using it without recharging to see how many I get.
05-17-2022, 01:17 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I should run a timelapse sequence, that process really tests the mettle of batteries.
05-23-2022, 05:48 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
If your battery is not working so well, you should be able to rejuvenate it by running it down completely and recharging it; repeat this process a couple of times and it should be quite good again.
NOPE !!!!

No, do not do this to ANY Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer Battery !!!!

Running them completely flat will PERMANENTLY damage the cells inside, and in the case of Lithium Polymers, may lead to them exploding.

At a minimum it's a fire risk as the cells start to out-gas and puff up.

Find videos from Quadcopter pilots on youtube to sell how quickly a depleted LiPo will turn in to a big flamey problem that is nearly impossible to extinguish.

---------- Post added 23-05-22 at 10:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kombivan Quote
The thing I learnt about batteries is to never let them go flat because if they go flat they loose their memory and never get a full charge again. I have been using that principle and I am still using some 20 year old batteries and they work excellant. Smart chargers also help a lot.
That's for Nickle Cadmium batteries, not the Lithium based batteries used now.
And even then, it's slightly backwards, in that NiCad's that were not fully discharged developed a 'memory' effect, where they would discharge normally until they hit that point, and then would behave as if depleted, rather then discharging properly.

Lithium based batteries do not develop the same sort of memory.

As for the life of the DLi-90 battery, I'm using the ones that came with my K-01's and K-5's without any issue, charged only on the OEM Charger.
I'd recommend to K-3-3 owners to get an OEM charger and use that in preference to charging in the camera.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 05-23-2022 at 05:55 AM.