Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are cheap Made In China batteries worth the price?

I love gadgets as much as I love my hobbies, and gadgets run on batteries, so why I wouldn't have some really cool gadget to test batteries is not a question I ever ask myself. So about a year a go I bought a West Mountain Radio CBA II Computerized Battery Analyzer. It is a USB battery tester with associated software that allows you to teat the capacity, among other things, of various battery formulas.

I also love my Pentax camera's, I still own an MX film camera and a Samsung GX-1S, since the Samsung takes AA's I really didn't need to test anything here, I just use LSD NiMh and cal it good! But now with a new K20D that uses the Pentax D-LI50 or Minolta NP-400 type batteries and the D-BG2 Battery Grip and not wanting to spend $40 a battery for genuine Pentax I wanted to see if you really get what you pay for with the Chinese made batteries.

I bought two of the following batteries from eBay:

Click each image for larger pictures.

You will notice that these are rated at 1800mAh or about 11% greater capacity than the OEM Pentax batteries. A good start, but does it really measure up? The first thing you will notice about the batteries is that they are very light. By comparison the Pentax weighs approximately 78 grams, the Chinese batteries only weigh 66 grams each. Ok, that doesn't seem so bad, maybe the energy density is better on these batteries. So now on to the test.

Using the CBA II and the newly released version 2 software I created a profile for both the Chinese and the OEM Pentax battery. This makes repeating the test easier. I did actually repeat the test three times on each battery. but first I ran all the batteries through at least two cycles to make sure there wasn't an issue with the batteries themselves.

The test parameters started out by using the automatic selection from the software then tweaked to match the stated capacities. So the Chinese batteries were tested with the following parameters:

Battery Type > LiIon
Battery Capacity > 1.8
Battery Voltage > 7.4
Battery Cells > 2
Test Type>Discharge
Cutoff Voltage > 5.6
Discharge Current > 0.5

The Pentax battery used the following parameters:

Battery Type > LiIon
Battery Capacity > 1.62
Battery Voltage > 7.4
Battery Cells > 2
Test Type > Discharge
Cutoff Voltage > 5.6
Discharge Current > 0.5

I choose a discharge current of .5 Amps as this is what I suspect the average drain from a mix of screw drive auto focus use and internal flash use might average out to and to keep in line with best practice when I tested AA and AAA batteries in the past.

I performed each discharge test about 10 minutes after pulling the batteries off the Pentax D-BC50 charger. What I found was surprising but not totally unexpected. Both the Chinese batteries were very consistent and that is a good thing. All the tests were within 2% of each other as far as capacity goes and both batteries were nearly exact in their readings. This does indicate that there is som quality control built into the manufacture of these batteries. The real truth was revealed when I got the capacity results. Now before I say what the numbers were let me just add that stated capacities are usually measured as a percentage of the total rated output. That measurement is usually .2C or 20% of the rated capacity, so in order to see a reading of 1800 mAh I would need to test them at .36 mAh not the .5 that I did. Because of this I expected the numbers to be lower, just not this low. In nearly all the tests I got approximately 1200 mAh as the actual capacity from these batteries. By comparison the OEM Pentax, rated 11% lower actually output 1500 mAh at the same current draw or about 25% more energy.

So, is the Chinese battery worth the cost. Well the two batteries cost me about $16.00 and a two week wait to ship from Hong Kong. The Pentax battery is currently available from B&H for 46.95 + shipping. Since I am using two, one in body one in grip, I will accept the trade off. But if you are buying these expecting to take many more shots with the higher rated batteries, you will be disappointed.

Bottom line: Chinese 1800mAh battery 25% less capacity and 1/6 the cost. Decide for yourself.

I also ordered a couple of 1750mAh batteries and will be testing them the same way as soon as they arrive.

12-16-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Pretty cool, thanks for sharing that.

I saw the cycling link in your signature line....as another cyclist, I have to ask: Campy or Shimano?
12-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
Pretty cool, thanks for sharing that.

I saw the cycling link in your signature line....as another cyclist, I have to ask: Campy or Shimano?
Thanks, I will also be testing some other brands of battery in the future.

As far as bikes go, Shimano and SRAM; Red, Dura-Ace, Ultegra, X.9. Right now at 7 bikes and a new carbon tandem on the way.
12-16-2008, 12:05 PM   #4
nah

the thing with after market batteries are the quality control that goes into building these things. The voltage output can be inconsistent thus damaging your equipment. I personally wouldn't risk my expensive gear with cheap batteries. You get what you pay for, I've learned that over the years.

12-16-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
the thing with after market batteries are the quality control that goes into building these things. The voltage output can be inconsistent thus damaging your equipment. I personally wouldn't risk my expensive gear with cheap batteries. You get what you pay for, I've learned that over the years.
Hence why I tested them, The graph was surprisingly flat across the entire range until dead then a sudden drop off, exactly as expected. With the exception of the lower capacity you could overlay the two Chinese batteries over the top of the Pentax and the lines would obscure each other. So I would conclude that the batteries are not that bad just lower capacity than advertised. We will see how other batteries fair in the future. But generally you are correct, you do get what you pay for!
12-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #6
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
So, is the Chinese battery worth the cost. Well the two batteries cost me about $16.00 and a two week wait to ship from Hong Kong. The Pentax battery is currently available from B&H for 46.95 + shipping. Since I am using two, one in body one in grip, I will accept the trade off. But if you are buying these expecting to take many more shots with the higher rated batteries, you will be disappointed.

Bottom line: Chinese 1800mAh battery 25% less capacity and 1/6 the cost. Decide for yourself.

I also ordered a couple of 1750mAh batteries and will be testing them the same way as soon as they arrive.
The real Bottom Line is you're towards the end of a shoot, you know with the OEM batteries there's no problem plenty of power, but as with all Chinese products you've stayed just a little longer than what your paid for, and then it happens, the shot of the evening and (drum roll please) your $16 batteries are dead. That just cost you $400. Yeah, I learned MY lesson in 1980. I'm into tropical fish breeding. Back then all my stuff was air powered. The piston pump I really wanted was 50 bucks but the tiawan pump was 12. That $12 pump cost me over $400 in breeder adults and the offspring. Never again, the cheap crap is just too expensive.
12-17-2008, 10:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BH has the Minolta NP-400 for $9.95 and are made in Japan. Konica Minolta | NP-400 Lithium-Ion Battery | 8699X001 | B&H

Edit: From what I can tell by looking at them, the Pentax and Konic-Minolta batteries are made in the same plant.

12-19-2008, 09:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, graphs!

I have added this graph so that you can see a physical representation of how the batteries performed.
Name:  NP400_01.jpg
Views: 3440
Size:  40.5 KB
As you can see the two Chinese batteries performed nearly identically, just a few mAh apart. Still no where near the performance of the OEM Pentax battery. I have 4 more batteries 2 pair, one rated @ 1720mAh the other 2000mAh, from different manufacturers coming and I will post this same graph for those also. I will set a reminder for myself to retest these same batteries in 3 months to see how well they are aging.

I have also attached the report as a .PDF
Attached Images
File Type: pdf np400_01.pdf (48.7 KB, 481 views)
12-20-2008, 05:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks for the test data WW, I ordered a couple to try for backup before I saw your test or I probably would have got 1 better one instead. I haven't tried them outside yet but should be ok for spares. The ones I got had the same box and label but weighed 76 grams- the same as my pentax?? Maybe they are not the same on the inside as the ones you got. I got a Maxell np400 at a Circuitcity for $8 a couple years ago but it was only rated for 1430ma, it worked ok though.
12-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would rather have a handfull of cheap one's than 2 good ones.
12-21-2008, 06:42 PM   #11
roy
Inactive Account

i would not doubt if all batteries are made in china..
12-21-2008, 06:53 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
i would not doubt if all batteries are made in china..
The Pentax D-LI50 and Konica Minolta NP400 batteries that I have are made in Japan. I have 1 of the Pentax and 3 of the Konica Minolta. With the price of the Konica Minolta at $9.95, I don't see why anyone with opt with an unbranded Chinese battery.
01-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #13
Forum Member

bestbatt.com

I would not doubt all batteries are made in japan, but I have tried cheap batteries the same as name brand. I do by some odd brand batteries to use with my K100D camera, I just ordered 8 form bestbatt.com but.... diehard batteries from Kmart, will not work with my camera, cheap $2 dollar store type AA batteries, will not work, they all do not even turn the camera on. cheap charge with 4 AA battery, work, but as usual, will fail within a month and quickly discharge. so I use energizer and the others are charges as last resort. still, a handful of cheap AA is better than a couple name brand. but I will still not buy the CV-3 rechargeable, the manual says do not use. so, that would be same as saying the cheaper made batteries may hurt your electronics. the idea of a USB batter analyzer is a good investment to test batteries with.
01-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The Pentax D-LI50 and Konica Minolta NP400 batteries that I have are made in Japan. I have 1 of the Pentax and 3 of the Konica Minolta. With the price of the Konica Minolta at $9.95, I don't see why anyone with opt with an unbranded Chinese battery.
Are you saying that you use the Konica Minolta NP400 in your Pentax? I had been wondering if they were compatible. If that is the case, I think I may be ordering the Konica Minolta NP400.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-02-2009 at 02:32 PM.
01-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EvilPentaxUser Quote
I would not doubt all batteries are made in japan, but I have tried cheap batteries the same as name brand. I do by some odd brand batteries to use with my K100D camera, I just ordered 8 form bestbatt.com but.... diehard batteries from Kmart, will not work with my camera, cheap $2 dollar store type AA batteries, will not work, they all do not even turn the camera on. cheap charge with 4 AA battery, work, but as usual, will fail within a month and quickly discharge. so I use energizer and the others are charges as last resort. still, a handful of cheap AA is better than a couple name brand. but I will still not buy the CV-3 rechargeable, the manual says do not use. so, that would be same as saying the cheaper made batteries may hurt your electronics. the idea of a USB batter analyzer is a good investment to test batteries with.
Most of the batteries you buy now, in nearly any formula are now made in China. It is getting harder and harder to find Japanese batteries. Now that is not to say that all Chinese made batteries are any worse or better for that matter. Usually these batteries work as well as any other, they just degrade more with use or abuse than better quality batteries.

With regard to the K100D, it uses AA batteries and has different issues. That camera is very voltage sensitive and initial voltage is not a good indicator if battery quality. It is voltage under load. That is why generally cheap batteries don't work well in that camera. Also some of the higher capacity NiMh also don't hold their voltage levels well under load, that is why they have issues with the K100D. The RCR-V3 can be a good option if you get ones with the protection circuitry built in, linke the Delkin's among others.

Not all USB battery analyzers are equal. The CBA II while costing a bit more is a good one, but even it isn't perfect. No support for Vista (It does work with Vista 32, but no official support) and no hope that it will be upgraded. Issues with high load cooling, etc. But it is one of the best on the market.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are you saying that you use the Konica Minolta NP400 in your Pentax? I had been wondering if they were compatible. If that is the case, I think I may be ordering the Konica Minolta NP400.

Steve
Steve, yes the NP-400 is compatible. Just remember that the Minolta battery is rated much lower than the Pentax battery, so do not expect near as many pictures per charge as the OEM Pentax.