Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2022, 09:30 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Source for METAL Rear PK Lens Caps?

I'm looking for METAL rear PK lens caps similar to what I've pictured here. I bought six of these recently on eBay, but I can't find any others.

Anyone know where I could buy some?

05-20-2022, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm going to say those aren't made by Pentax.
I've never seen one anyway, and usually it's third-party manufactures that will label it 'for' Pentax.
cool tho! best luck on your search!
05-20-2022, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What do you do to your lenses ?

I've always been happy with the genuine plastic caps provided by Pentax.
05-20-2022, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I'm not 100% sure, but I'm going to say those aren't made by Pentax.
I've never seen one anyway, and usually it's third-party manufactures that will label it 'for' Pentax.
cool tho! best luck on your search!
Yes, third party.

05-20-2022, 01:44 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Recently i bought some optech lens caps so my water resistant lenses are also water resistant when not mounted
Lens Mount Cap | OP/TECH USA

Other than that, i am very happy with the original plastic lens caps.
05-20-2022, 02:08 PM - 2 Likes   #6
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My one concern about the metal rear lens caps is the lack of a flange to protect the connection points of digital lenses. When I moved from film to digital, I noticed this difference in the plastic rear lens caps provided by Pentax. I have lots of both types.
05-20-2022, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Metal rear cap? Not on my lenses!

05-21-2022, 12:19 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Metal rear cap? Not on my lenses!
yeah i'm with you on that. There would be considerable wear on the lensmount after years or decades of use. No thanks, Plastic is softer and deforms when subjected to impacts: rather than breaking the lens cap you would run the risk of breaking something far more expensive and tedious to replace.
05-21-2022, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
yeah i'm with you on that. There would be considerable wear on the lensmount after years or decades of use. No thanks, Plastic is softer and deforms when subjected to impacts: rather than breaking the lens cap you would run the risk of breaking something far more expensive and tedious to replace.
As opposed to the metal on metal wear when you mount and dismount a lens? Just playing devils advocate

Actually I’m with every one here, for what purpose? Maybe to add some more weight to the kit bag
05-21-2022, 08:18 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
What do you do to your lenses ?

I've always been happy with the genuine plastic caps provided by Pentax.
Good question about what I do with my lenses that requires a metal rear cap! Haha! These are for my vintage lens collection, not the lenses I use. But after reading comments from several others about possible metal-on-metal damage, I'm definitely reconsidering. Thanks!

---------- Post added 05-21-22 at 08:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
My one concern about the metal rear lens caps is the lack of a flange to protect the connection points of digital lenses. When I moved from film to digital, I noticed this difference in the plastic rear lens caps provided by Pentax. I have lots of both types.
Good point about possible damage. I use the metal rear caps for my vintage lens collection, but now I probably won't because of several comments regarding possible damage. Thank you!
05-21-2022, 09:06 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
As opposed to the metal on metal wear when you mount and dismount a lens? Just playing devils advocate
The K lens mount has a catch used to keep the lens attached - Lens caps use friction alone, the friction from metal against metal would cause significantly more wear and tear on the lens mount than the more pliant plastic lens caps would over the years.
05-21-2022, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K lens mount has a catch used to keep the lens attached - Lens caps use friction alone, the friction from metal against metal would cause significantly more wear and tear on the lens mount than the more pliant plastic lens caps would over the years.
In all fairness I was being just a little sarcastic.
05-21-2022, 11:00 AM   #13

I have one for M42 mount that was probably made by the same company. The look is the same, black with the silver ring at the back and the lettering is the same. It says "For Pentax" without the "For K S".

I suspect the company is either long out of business or hasn't made the caps in decades.

The OEM M42 rear caps I have appear to be made of bakelite which is very brittle and the threads (on the cap) are easily stripped.
05-21-2022, 05:56 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
In all fairness I was being just a little sarcastic.
oh I know, the problem with playing the devils advocate is that you often get burned.
05-22-2022, 04:41 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

oh I know, the problem with playing the devils advocate is that you often get burned.
After all..."Fire is the Devil's only friend..." (Don McLean, 1971)

Steve