Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-20-2022, 03:49 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
End of my Pentax Era?

Well, for the first time in 40+ years, I am Pentax-less. A local camera retailer sponsored a used equipment purchase event so I looked into the closet where I had bags of equipment I haven't used in many years.

I've been a Pentax fan since the HV3 predecessor to the SpotMatics but sold all my M42 screw mount equipment about 15 years ago. That left me only with the PK mount SuperProgram and my trusy K-1000 which I had resisted selling (but seemed to rarely use). I had a bit of glass but nothing remarkable. I did let go my cherished non-modified Digital Spotmeter. I know how much they go for on auction sites but I didn't want to hassel with shipping, etc. They offered $250. No regrets.

I've been retired for 3 years and photography isn't my prime (or even secondary) hobby now. Those leather lens cases had deteriorated badly but the sales guy said my optics were all very, very clean.

My film-era is definitely behind me. If I do ever get a DSLR I'd like to stick w/Pentax but understand all camera makers are going through some tough times. Gotta admit, for snapshots it's hard to beat these modern cell phones.

05-20-2022, 05:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

You could use the proceeds and move up to large format... an iPad. Having stuff stuck in closet collecting spores is no better than not having. I've got 3 enlargers I'd love to find a home for before I convert them to table lamps.
05-20-2022, 08:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnMc Quote
You could use the proceeds and move up to large format... an iPad. Having stuff stuck in closet collecting spores is no better than not having. I've got 3 enlargers I'd love to find a home for before I convert them to table lamps.
Table lamps sound pretty cool. Might even make good money. 😁

---------- Post added 05-20-22 at 08:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pipemajor Quote
Well, for the first time in 40+ years, I am Pentax-less. A local camera retailer sponsored a used equipment purchase event so I looked into the closet where I had bags of equipment I haven't used in many years.

I've been a Pentax fan since the HV3 predecessor to the SpotMatics but sold all my M42 screw mount equipment about 15 years ago. That left me only with the PK mount SuperProgram and my trusy K-1000 which I had resisted selling (but seemed to rarely use). I had a bit of glass but nothing remarkable. I did let go my cherished non-modified Digital Spotmeter. I know how much they go for on auction sites but I didn't want to hassel with shipping, etc. They offered $250. No regrets.

I've been retired for 3 years and photography isn't my prime (or even secondary) hobby now. Those leather lens cases had deteriorated badly but the sales guy said my optics were all very, very clean.

My film-era is definitely behind me. If I do ever get a DSLR I'd like to stick w/Pentax but understand all camera makers are going through some tough times. Gotta admit, for snapshots it's hard to beat these modern cell phones.
I love old cars. It really bothers me when someone just let's them sit and they slowly go downhill. It's better to let someone else enjoy using them than to let them slowly go downhill due to lack of use.

I commend you for your decision.
05-20-2022, 08:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
Table lamps sound pretty cool. Might even make good money. 😁
You're just around the corner, fancy a 23c-xl? Still working... )

05-20-2022, 10:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pipemajor Quote
If I do ever get a DSLR I'd like to stick w/Pentax but understand all camera makers are going through some tough times. Gotta admit, for snapshots it's hard to beat these modern cell phones.
The first Pentax DSLR was released in 2003, almost 20 years ago, and now we're entering the mid-life cycle of the mirrorless ILC era. Sounds like you missed the entire DSLR industry cycle. Since the large format era, cameras were on a miniaturization trend, and if you wait long enough, 15 or more years, you may be able to skip mirrorless ILC entirely. Cellphones no only work for snapshots, they also work with strobes, but currently, I don't see how any phone will be able to achieve the image resolution of a DSLR or MILC, because phones already hit the limit of optics/diffraction, whereas ILC still have a lot of room for improvement.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-20-2022 at 10:47 PM.
05-21-2022, 08:29 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K70....miraculous...a whole new game. I use mine on Auto or HDR with most images...just a flip of the switch.
05-21-2022, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #7

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The first Pentax DSLR was released in 2003, almost 20 years ago, and now we're entering the mid-life cycle of the mirrorless ILC era. Sounds like you missed the entire DSLR industry cycle. Since the large format era, cameras were on a miniaturization trend, and if you wait long enough, 15 or more years, you may be able to skip mirrorless ILC entirely. Cellphones no only work for snapshots, they also work with strobes, but currently, I don't see how any phone will be able to achieve the image resolution of a DSLR or MILC, because phones already hit the limit of optics/diffraction, whereas ILC still have a lot of room for improvement.
Yep, absolutely missed the entire DSLR era. I bought an Olympus C765 UltraZoom digital in 2004 for my wife's use (SLRs a bit complex and heavy for her) but I've never owned any type of digital camera. Except for a pair each of used Nikon N90S and N8008 AF SLRs I've never owned an AF camera. The Olympus takes pretty fair photos but it's slow and takes only a proprietary storage card which is discontinued.

Sure, I've thought of a flagship SLR film (the LX) or DSLR camera (the K1) but never pulled the trigger. I just don't shoot that often any longer. I did get my Ham radio license a year ago and now have about $2.5k worth of radios around the house. The older tube-equipped 'boat anchors' still work fine on regular RF signals but won't do any of the newer digitial modes. They do have more value than ancient photo equipment. Now that all my Pentax glass is gone, I'm free to look at any brand/style. Maybe...