Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-05-2022, 03:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
City / Travel Backpacking Nerds - New Pack...

All,

I have a Lowepro Protactic 350, which has been fine for everyday use with my K-1, 150-450 Pentax and my 24-70 Sigma (if a bit of a tight fit). However, at the end of the month, I am going on a trip to France and Spain, and am looking for something that can handle some backpack duties (water bottle, small first aid kit, small 13" laptop), as well as carry the aforementioned two lenses, a battery grip, and my -F 50mm. I doubt we will be far away from water supplies (no outside of the city / county hiking trips planned), but one never knows.

I am currently looking in the under $400 range (new or used) and the following seem to be cropping up enough that I am considering them. I would love your input, or any other recommendations:

Lowepro ProTactic BP 450 AW II - doesn't seem to have a water bottle location, but will comfortably fit everything else (plus on sale for $204 new from Adorama and B&H)
Nomatic McKinnon 35L - $327 used, and just a beautiful backpack, but having trouble justifying $120 more than the Protactic. Still no water bottle holder.
Vanguard VEO RANGE 48 - $139 used, seems big enough to hold my gear and has a water bottle holder.
Lowepro Flipside 500 AW II - $123 used; beastly.
Vanguard Alta Sky 53 - $266; beastly, and seems to have tons of accessory pockets.

Thanks for your thoughts!

--Jonathan

06-05-2022, 05:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
Vanguard Alta Sky 53 - $266; beastly, and seems to have tons of accessory pockets.
I have the Vanguard Alta Sky 51D, which looks very similar to the 53, if ever so slightly smaller. It's a very nice pack, albeit with a few annoying design hiccups. Notably the back access panel doesn't fold all the way open and stay there easily because of the design of the zippered panel near the bottom of the bag: something I've lived with fine, but still get annoyed by.

The bag is super configurable, and as you mention, quite large. It's also very comfortable when carrying a lot of weight, as it has nice padded straps and belt. I consider it as comfortable as my REI backpack for backpack camping.

As for photo gear capacity, I don't doubt you would be able to fit all of what you've mentioned and more if you'd like. I have mine set up to carry a large tele lens in the center (A*600 5.6 or Tamron 300 2.8), and am still able to fit a bunch of other lenses and the K1.

Here's what I wrote in another thread:
QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
It's pretty darn big. My latest trip I carried my K1, Tamron 60b 300/2.8 with hood in shooting position, two adaptall teleconverters (could leave either on the lens if desired), Sigma APO 180/2.8 macro with hood on, Pentax fa*24/2, DFA*50/1.4, F*300/4.5, a cleaning kit with extra batteries and charger, and two light jackets. All in that bag. I could leave the camera on any lens except the 180 macro and it all would still fit, including the 300 even with 1.4x converter (probably not with 2x).I probably could have fit one more normalish lens (like a limited) in there fine, and also a laptop, since the laptop stows in it's own compartment.

It's very very user configurable. It has quite a few access options.Not sure at all about airport carryon, I don't fly much and don't really remember what size is ok.It does have some annoying features including one, straps in way of main rear door when fully open, that makes you grumble every time you use it. There are superfluous carry handles in random places here and there, to the point of siliness. There's a whole flop down tripod carrying scheme that I've considered cutting off entirely due to disuse, though it is useful for carrying my big tripod.It was probably too expensive; both generally for what it is, and in comparison to other options.Still I've been very pleased.
To sum up, I would recommend it, and I'm sure the 53 is good too.
06-06-2022, 06:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You seem to be looking at large bags. Will you be carrying only stuff for one day, in addition to what you listed? Otherwise these are probably too large.

My go-to travel bags, depending on the situation, are either:

Mindshift Gear Rotation180 34L Backpack Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

This one is my favourite for hiking, traveling with the family, when I expect to benefit from the water bladder, or when I expect to change lenses often. It's fantastic. I'd love if they made a slightly smaller version but with space for a water bladder.

Peak Design Everyday Backpack V2 and Backpack Zip Comparison Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I use the Zip as my daily driver for work, but for slightly larger loads I prefer the EDB, especially with its top access. What a bag. Not as quick to change lenses (it needs to sling over one shoulder) but pretty good still, and the design on that bag is out of this world.

It really depends if you want more of a hiker's backpack or an everyday backpack. For the record, I've hiked with the Peak Design, and I toured Disney World with the Mindshift Gear, so both are possible.

An honorable mention is

Think Tank Urban Access 15 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Close to the Peak Design, not as quick to reconfigure but still excellent.

If you ARE looking for a larger bag, here are two options:

Wandrd Fernweh Hiking Backpack Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

(the company's Prvke could also be considered, I never warmed up to it but some love it)

Peak Design Travel Backpack Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

(they also now have a slightly smaller version without side access, except a review to be published soon).
06-06-2022, 06:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Bdery!

I will be carrying, for day trips and air travel:

(1) 13" laptop and charger
(2) Pentax K-1
(3) Pentax 150-450mm
(4) Pentax SMC-F 50mm
(5) Sigma 24-70mm IF EX DG HSM
(6) Basic first aid kit (6" by 4")
(7) Athlete water enhancers
(8) Water bottle
(9) K-1 battery grip

I think that covers it. What are your thoughts?

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
You seem to be looking at large bags. Will you be carrying only stuff for one day, in addition to what you listed? Otherwise these are probably too large.

My go-to travel bags, depending on the situation, are either:

Mindshift Gear Rotation180 34L Backpack Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

This one is my favourite for hiking, traveling with the family, when I expect to benefit from the water bladder, or when I expect to change lenses often. It's fantastic. I'd love if they made a slightly smaller version but with space for a water bladder.

Peak Design Everyday Backpack V2 and Backpack Zip Comparison Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I use the Zip as my daily driver for work, but for slightly larger loads I prefer the EDB, especially with its top access. What a bag. Not as quick to change lenses (it needs to sling over one shoulder) but pretty good still, and the design on that bag is out of this world.

It really depends if you want more of a hiker's backpack or an everyday backpack. For the record, I've hiked with the Peak Design, and I toured Disney World with the Mindshift Gear, so both are possible.

An honorable mention is

Think Tank Urban Access 15 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Close to the Peak Design, not as quick to reconfigure but still excellent.

If you ARE looking for a larger bag, here are two options:

Wandrd Fernweh Hiking Backpack Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

(the company's Prvke could also be considered, I never warmed up to it but some love it)

Peak Design Travel Backpack Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

(they also now have a slightly smaller version without side access, except a review to be published soon).

06-06-2022, 07:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I will be carrying, for day trips and air travel:
I think that covers it. What are your thoughts?
I agree that if that is everything that you plan to carry, my Alta Sky 51d (and presumably the slightly larger 53) is a fair amount too much bag. You could probably get all of that into the lower portion of my bag (with the water bottle outside in the side pocket, and the laptop in the laptop area not really filling it), and still have the top area empty or usable for other stuff. And if you plan for air travel, I believe you would need to check it every time.
06-06-2022, 11:07 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hate to point to dpreview; but this thread was really useful. I have a mindshift rotation 34l older version. I do like it, but this article has me thinking.

BEST BACKPACK / RUCKSACK FOR HIKING PHOTOGRAPHERS (2021): Accessories Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
06-06-2022, 07:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I hate to point to dpreview; but this thread was really useful. I have a mindshift rotation 34l older version. I do like it, but this article has me thinking.

BEST BACKPACK / RUCKSACK FOR HIKING PHOTOGRAPHERS (2021): Accessories Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Uncle,

That's definitely food for thought. I think that if I weren't checking separate luggage for most non-photography items, I would lean towards one of those he recommends.

06-06-2022, 08:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I hate to point to dpreview; but this thread was really useful. I have a mindshift rotation 34l older version. I do like it, but this article has me thinking.BEST BACKPACK / RUCKSACK FOR HIKING PHOTOGRAPHERS (2021): Accessories Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
I read through the OPs points on that thread, but not all the responses. I think he has a lot of good points on specific features, but I'm not convinced that the newer style pack with the mesh panel is as imperative as he makes it out to be. My (non-photo) backpack for camping isn't that newer mesh style either, and it has served me just fine on multiple mile, multiple night backpacking trips, which I usually over-pack for taboot (I think I was over 35 lbs on at least one). Now granted I haven't done it in years now, but I did just fine when I was taking those kinds of trips.
At the same time, I value the access features of photo specific packs more than he seems to. The packing cubes inside of a conventional trekking pack are less convenient for quick access while wearing the pack, and I think also less convenient when loading the bag.
Finally, I also find the photo specific bags to be more durable and protective than many trekking bags, with padding all over and tougher external material. I'm sure it varies from bag to bag, but at least my current Vanguard bag is more durable material than my Rei bag, and either of my lady's bags (one Osprey and one that I don't know the make).
06-06-2022, 10:26 PM - 2 Likes   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
I read through the OPs points on that thread, but not all the responses. I think he has a lot of good points on specific features, but I'm not convinced that the newer style pack with the mesh panel is as imperative as he makes it out to be. My (non-photo) backpack for camping isn't that newer mesh style either, and it has served me just fine on multiple mile, multiple night backpacking trips, which I usually over-pack for taboot (I think I was over 35 lbs on at least one). Now granted I haven't done it in years now, but I did just fine when I was taking those kinds of trips.
At the same time, I value the access features of photo specific packs more than he seems to. The packing cubes inside of a conventional trekking pack are less convenient for quick access while wearing the pack, and I think also less convenient when loading the bag.
Finally, I also find the photo specific bags to be more durable and protective than many trekking bags, with padding all over and tougher external material. I'm sure it varies from bag to bag, but at least my current Vanguard bag is more durable material than my Rei bag, and either of my lady's bags (one Osprey and one that I don't know the make).
I agree that photo-specific packs tend to provide better protection and better access. i have come to hate having to take my pack off and go through the top to get at a lens. Side access is crucial for me. Personally, my Thule Covert (32L) has proven indestructible, protects my gear, travels well and remains inconspicuous, seems to be TSA compliant, fits a 15" laptop and a tablet, and looks as good now as when i bought it (despite a lot of use and abuse). That said, i keep eyeing the Shimoda Explore V2....looks very promising!
06-07-2022, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

(1) 13" laptop and charger
Almost every bag will be ok.

(2) Pentax K-1
Same.

(3) Pentax 150-450mm
That's by far the trickiest requirement. For this long lens, I have to disqualify the Mindshift Gear rotation180, they can't accommodate it, except maybe if you're willing to get their top insert. Even then, we'd have to measure I'm not sure it fits.

(4) Pentax SMC-F 50mm
(5) Sigma 24-70mm IF EX DG HSM
Easy peasy.

(6) Basic first aid kit (6" by 4")
(7) Athlete water enhancers
Same.

(8) Water bottle
Most bags have an external pocket for this. Several also accept water bladders.

(9) K-1 battery grip
No problem there.

Sooooo... regarding that long lens.

One avenue is to get either a Nomatic MacKinnon or a Peak Design travel backpack, and with the proper insert configure the interior properly. In both cases you'll have some room left for the rest. But these bags are not truly meant for hiking.

another option is a Peak Design Everyday Backpack 30L, and place the lens vertically on one side thanks to the adjustable dividers. I've done something similar often and loved it. With the optional hip strap, the bag is comfortable for 1-day hiking.

Another avenue still (with bags I personally haven't used) is to go full-fledged multi-day setup with an Atlas or a Shimoda bag. You'll have to measure up stuff but clearly these companies should have a bag which fits that lens. Same for F-Stop. The price will scale quickly however.

Another yet, Mindshift Gear offers some bag (the UltraLite I think?) with full internal organization for photo gear. Again, configure it properly, and leave some of the volume for non-photo stuff.

These suggestions should get you pointed in the right direction.
06-07-2022, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Almost every bag will be ok.

Same.

That's by far the trickiest requirement. For this long lens, I have to disqualify the Mindshift Gear rotation180, they can't accommodate it, except maybe if you're willing to get their top insert. Even then, we'd have to measure I'm not sure it fits.

Easy peasy.

Same.

Most bags have an external pocket for this. Several also accept water bladders.

No problem there.

Sooooo... regarding that long lens.

One avenue is to get either a Nomatic MacKinnon or a Peak Design travel backpack, and with the proper insert configure the interior properly. In both cases you'll have some room left for the rest. But these bags are not truly meant for hiking.

another option is a Peak Design Everyday Backpack 30L, and place the lens vertically on one side thanks to the adjustable dividers. I've done something similar often and loved it. With the optional hip strap, the bag is comfortable for 1-day hiking.

Another avenue still (with bags I personally haven't used) is to go full-fledged multi-day setup with an Atlas or a Shimoda bag. You'll have to measure up stuff but clearly these companies should have a bag which fits that lens. Same for F-Stop. The price will scale quickly however.

Another yet, Mindshift Gear offers some bag (the UltraLite I think?) with full internal organization for photo gear. Again, configure it properly, and leave some of the volume for non-photo stuff.

These suggestions should get you pointed in the right direction.
I have to agree, the 150-450 will make it tricky. For my long lenses I use the Clik Elite Escape (no longer new available), but imo the best bag for long lenses. But I also have the https://nya-evo.eu/products/fjord-36-with-rci-unit with the large ICU. It will hold the 150-450. And looking at the other gear all should fit. I also have the medium ICU, which I think will be just too small for the 150-450 (but you will have more space for other stuff). The also have the https://nya-evo.eu/products/fjord-26-s-with-rci-unit . it is smaller, but does take the large ICU, but then there will be not much space left. (if you need more space, there is the https://nya-evo.eu/products/fjord-60-c-with-rci-unit )Both Clik and Nya have a very good fit. They carry well. (another option is the Clik Elite Contrejour, also not available new, but a very fine bag)
06-07-2022, 06:39 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great insight and info in this thread.
06-07-2022, 10:00 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
With all of this excellent information in mind, here are my thoughts:

(1) My current 350 is about 16L, and it fits my gear tightly. So, I want to go 20-30L, which I think will fit most things. I also want to go smaller than 55 x 35 x 25cm, which seems to be the average foreign travel carry-on size.

(2) Brands / packs which seem well regarded here include: Peak Design, Vanguard Alta Sky, Mindshift, Thinktank, Clik Elite, Nomatic, Atlas, Shimoda

(3) I think I want to avoid a pack with an interior cube / ICU design.

So, these seem to fit all my specs:

(1) MindShift Gear BackLight 26L - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1186107-REG/mindshift_gear_360_backli...981&
(2) MindShift Gear FirstLight 30L - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1164127-REG/mindshift_gear_352_firstl...981&
(3) Peak Design Everyday Backpack v2 - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1515237-REG/peak_design_bedb_20_bk_2_...981&
(4) Vanguard Alta Sky 53 - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1315056-REG/vanguard_alta_sky_53_back...981&
(5) Vanguard Alta Sky 51D - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1315055-REG/vanguard_alta_sky_51d_bac...981&
(6) Nomatic Mackinnon 35L - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1576639-REG/nomatic_pmtp_00_blk_01_mc...981&

I know I can shop around for deals - the BH are just for the descriptions. I think I am leaning towards the Peak Design Everyday 20L or 30L, or the Altasky 53. They seem configurable, solid, very well rated (both by some of you and by the online communities and by PF). They also seem like either would fit the 150-450 lens.

Any other thoughts before I head for one of those? Thank you!

Last edited by jawats; 06-07-2022 at 10:17 AM.
06-07-2022, 12:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Any other thoughts before I head for one of those?
If you're interested in the Vanguard Alta Sky bags, I would look at the 45D or the 49, instead of the 51D or 53. Those smaller two seem to have most of the same features, but are basically within your 55 x 35 x 25 criteria.

45D:
49.5 x 31.1 x 22.8

49:
54 x 34 x 26

51D:
56.5 x 37 x 26

53:
58.2 x 38.1 x 27
06-07-2022, 08:02 PM   #15

I have the ProTactic 450 AW II. It does come with a water bottle pouch, but it's not great. I don't like it, I use it to toss lens caps into and just use bottles with carabiners. They do make a different one, which looks like a much better design, but it's an extra $30.

It has plenty of room. Right now mine is setup to carry two bodies (w/ grips), three Pentax lenses, two teleconverters and two Sony lenses and one of them is a 200-600, which is even larger than the 150-450. I could still squeeze in another smaller DA lens, like a 55/1.4, if I needed to.