Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2008, 08:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Format not recognized?

Anyone ever get this message when reviewing images on their K10D?

I took a bunch of pictures about 2 weeks back, and I offloaded them earlier this week, and got a few that were unreadable. I freaked out, thinking I lost pictures due to some isolated corruption.

Good thing is, these were no significant pictures. Just BS, shooting stuff.....

shot them in RAW, so i thought well, lets see them in the camera and convert them to JPG....i can live with that.
Except when I flipped through the card last night, the images I thought were at stake are there...but theres like 20 blank DNG files and when trying to read them, the screen said something to the effect of format not recognized/can't be read on this camera. Never saw that before, aside from formatting the card, any ideas? Should I be concerned?

It's an 8gb transcend SDHC, for what it's worth.

12-18-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
graphicgr8s

Only time I've seen that is when I put the card I used in my Kodak into the K10D. What program are you trying to read them with on your confuser?
12-18-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
tried them on 2 different...one PC on Mac...Mac first, going with iPhoto and then LR. PC just picasa.

I am beginning to think these are some really weird random issue and they don't really represent pictures gone missing
12-18-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had errors both on the camera and my macs with two pqi cards. Was ready to have my camera shipped off for repair. I've since switched brands (PNY, which I've always had good luck with) and have not gotten those errors again.

12-18-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably the card

I had the same thing happen with a Trancend brand card. I thought it was isolated and I kept shooting...well, the problem seemed to "grow" until all my images were not recognized. I required recovery software and much hassle to save about 90% of my images.

I too was shooting raw, and I *think* it started when I quickly hit the image review button even as the file was being written.

A similar failure happened a couple of months later. Same creeping issue that enveloped all the files on the card.

I blamed the card, went to Sandisk and never had a bit of problem since.

hope that helps,

germar
12-18-2008, 11:14 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I would say it's a problem with the card also. If you have formatted the card again then try the card again. If you get the same error then get a new card.
12-18-2008, 10:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think it may have been more how things happened than the card itself--thus far, all my transcend cards have been phenomenal, knock wood.

but the night i was importing them, iPhoto or my Mac in general froze, would not quit mid-import. I think thats what got ugly

Its odd because I double checked last night and now...the pictures are all viewable via the camera along with the blanks but in the computer, its just the blanks.

very odd.....but ill reformat and move forward. a different card is in its place

pisses me off, i have 2x2gb sandisk extreme 3 cards. both came with the free recovery software, which is god knows where by now. In 10 years of digital, never once had a need for it...

i do take comfort in the fact these pictures are of little importance. this is now a training excercise for me

12-19-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have had one or two cases where a card was not recognized by the computer (card reader) but the images would still work in the camera and other cards would work in the readers.

When that happened, I got the cable out and copied the images directly from the camera and then reformatted the card and retested it with a few images.

I've never had to use recovery software (knock on wood).