Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2022, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I went out and bought what they call a fishing kayak for photography, they are a sit on top kayak and very stable. I also got some experience in it before taking the gear out. It’s actually a lot easier to get your gear wet in a motorboat. I would certainly not use it in a sit in kayak, I would be wary of a canoe too, but if Dirwood knows the situation I’m sure he is ok,
I prefer the sit in kayaks and the one I have is an Old Town Loon with a big cockpit, enough for my 5yr old to sit in front of me comfortably. Very very stable in the water and is my wife's favorite since she is terrified of water (can't swim). I have the canoe to use when needed and am currently keeping my eye out for a used Old town loon 120/126 or a Pungo 120/125.

I have a sit on top but just something about them that I do not care for.

Yup, I am very aware of the situation I bring that set up into. It would be a costly loss and is why I take my k70 / 55-300plm combo out for our horse rides and not the more expensive combo.I started a thread before on this and have taken photos since but never updated that thread. I will have to do that someday as some of the photos came out ok considering the dim light in the woods. Drifting in the canoe or kayak where no motorboats are allowed, relaxing and taking pictures of wildlife we come upon...sounds nice and I can't wait to do it.

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/cases/protector/1500?sku=1500-000-150

I'm thinking this is the case I want. Just have to decide yellow or orange.

The kayaks I'm going back and forth between:

https://oldtowncanoe.johnsonoutdoors.com/kayaks/recreation/loon-126

and

https://www.wildernesssystems.com/us/kayaks/pungo-125

Last edited by dirwood; 08-11-2022 at 08:32 AM. Reason: adding info
08-11-2022, 09:15 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dirwood Quote
I prefer the sit in kayaks and the one I have is an Old Town Loon with a big cockpit, enough for my 5yr old to sit in front of me comfortably. Very very stable in the water and is my wife's favorite since she is terrified of water (can't swim). I have the canoe to use when needed and am currently keeping my eye out for a used Old town loon 120/126 or a Pungo 120/125.

Yup, I am very aware of the situation I bring that set up into. It would be a costly loss and is why I take my k70 / 55-300plm combo out for our horse rides and not the more expensive combo.I started a thread before on this and have taken photos since but never updated that thread. I will have to do that someday as some of the photos came out ok considering the dim light in the woods. Drifting in the canoe or kayak where no motorboats are allowed, relaxing and taking pictures of wildlife we come upon...sounds nice and I can't wait to do it.

1500 Protector Case | Pelican Official Store

and

Similar Pelican cases are these B&W Outdoor Case Typ 3000 günstig kaufen | Koffermarkt

I own the 3000 in orange color. Very robust and waterproof B&W International Outdoor Cases. Different sizes availlable.
08-11-2022, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Regarding color; lighter is better to minimize contents baking in the sun.
For size; I prefer smaller since inches matter in a boat/canoe/kayak. I use a spotting scope case, but it's a lot like the pelican Mi2306. You'd need a can of spray paint to put a light color on it. The added benefit, IMO, is that a white scratched up ghetto looking case helps protect against theft too.
08-11-2022, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

and

When you are experienced with your kayak you know what works for you, Old Towns are very good quality. I think your case choice is good, just a tad thicker and a couple inches longer than mine will work well for you. It should stow well on your kayak too. I have two KPs and the older one goes on the kayak, I do alternate between the DA300 and DA55-300PLM though, depending on target and time of day and just how I feel.

08-24-2022, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Check out the Harbor Freight in your town. I have one of their smaller Apache cases to hold my geiger counter and it has held up well. They come in several sizes and colors and have excellent reviews.
08-24-2022, 12:25 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Check out the Harbor Freight in your town. I have one of their smaller Apache cases to hold my geiger counter and it has held up well. They come in several sizes and colors and have excellent reviews.
I was actually in Harbor Freight like 2 weeks ago for something else and saw the Apache case. I bought it as it was 100 bucks cheaper than the named brand one. Looks exactly the same and everything. I already took it out on the canoe with my wife like 2 days after getting it. I just haven't had time to upload photos or anything like that yet.