Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2022, 09:00 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still puddling around in my ignorance. If the purpose of the main bellows is to reduce the MFD then would adding extension tubes eventually get you the focus point required?
They say the only dumb question is the one that is not asked😄

The da 35 macro has a 13.72cm MFD, would this help?

Last edited by Joetitch; 09-19-2022 at 09:11 PM.
09-20-2022, 09:01 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My '78 Pentax M 100mm macro has a MFD of about a 1.5 feet. I experimented and that is measured from the body or the sensor. So when the lens is focused there, it is about a foot distance from the end of the lens. Sadly the slide copier bellows only extend about 3-4 inches on it own. So I may need a 50mm macro lens or perhaps I can try extension tubes.
09-21-2022, 09:21 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joetitch Quote
Still puddling around in my ignorance. If the purpose of the main bellows is to reduce the MFD then would adding extension tubes eventually get you the focus point required?
They say the only dumb question is the one that is not asked😄

The da 35 macro has a 13.72cm MFD, would this help?
Adding extension brings the focus point closer and closer to the lens, increasing the magnification. The only way I was able to get close to copying the full frame of a slide with a Pentax bellows/slide copier on an APS-C rig was to use the 77LTD, and not connect the slide copier bellows to the lens.
09-21-2022, 11:34 AM   #19

Some of the basics with macro photography:

The closer to the subject the lens can get the greater the magnification
The wider the angle the lens the closer the lens can get to the subject.

If the lens can get around 0.66× magnification with more than 37-38mm of extension and have a short enough sensor to slide distance to fit on the bellows than it should work.

Unfortunately there are no close-up tables that I can find for any of the lenses past the "A" series. So unless the user manuals for the AF macros has these tables you would have to measure and work them out from the magnification markings on the lens.

09-22-2022, 10:35 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloyd_Christmas Quote
My '78 Pentax M 100mm macro has a MFD of about a 1.5 feet. I experimented and that is measured from the body or the sensor. So when the lens is focused there, it is about a foot distance from the end of the lens. Sadly the slide copier bellows only extend about 3-4 inches on it own. So I may need a 50mm macro lens or perhaps I can try extension tubes.
If you are using APS-C the DA35LTD Macro has a $100 rebate now. US$396 sounds like a steal for such a lens.
09-22-2022, 02:16 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
If you are using APS-C the DA35LTD Macro has a $100 rebate now. US$396 sounds like a steal for such a lens.
It's a great lens, but it won't do what the OP is wanting it to do.
11-15-2022, 08:27 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the 50/4 Macro Takumar I get close enough (~0.7x) with the bellows fully closed

slide copier rig

12-17-2022, 04:34 PM   #23
Forum Member

I have tried to take pictures like this but never seem to find "focus" of the negative.