Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2007, 09:23 AM   #1

How to carry DSLR and 3 pancakes?

I've long been looking at the Pentax system for a street shooting rig, primarily because of the 3 pancakes.

I'm looking to carry a DSLR with one lens attached and the other 2pancakes, day in day out wherever I go for a specific 2-3 year long street project as well as stock work. My question is how to carry this setup comfortably. The camera will not be around my neck at all times so I need a setup which can carry the kit but give almost instantaneous access.

The options seem to be some kind of hip bag to wear on the belt, one with a flap (ala crumpler) would provide quicker access than a zip, a photo vest which I think is pretty much overkill for a kit this size (and might be too hot for the middle east), or a decent fanny pack which apart from being unobtrusive, would probably be the lightest and most comfortable to wear.

Anyone carrying this setup around and using a non obtrusive method to store it? Many thanks.

03-15-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
While I don't own any pancake lenses, I do have the advantage of being a blue collar worker (truck driver) in Japan....which means that what I believe are called "cargo pants" are an item of daily work wear and would provide more than ample room to carry a dslr and pancake. I am given to understand that cargo pants have come and gone fashion-wise, but I mention it anyway. I remember reading on this forum a post from a military member who carries his K100D with 40mm pancake in the cargo pocket of his uniform trousers.
03-15-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I use the Domke F-803. Does not look like a camera bags ans stays close to the body. Great bag.
03-15-2007, 09:52 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I would either get deep pockets, as Mike suggests, or get a bag.
For having the camera in your pockets, well, that is nice from time to time but soon starts to feel heavy. So I would go for a bag.
A good, high quality bag not looking like a photo bag... I like my Domke Satchel Junior. Looks like a stylish and more grown-up satchel. Get an extra insert and place them at the sides. Then you cave the camera (no bothering strap attached) hangin' on the inserts with one lens mounted pointing downwards. There are a few extra pockets. In one of the outer ones I have a rain shield. The two other pockets under the flap carries extra batteries and a memory card, and a microfibre sheet for cleaning, respectively.
I also would exchange the DA40/2.8 to an FA35/2.0. (The FA35 is not obtrusive but a completely normal lens.) People move on the streets, there are dark places, you need all speed you can get.

EDIT: The Domke Satchel I mention is the F-803 I believe.

Last edited by Jonas B; 03-15-2007 at 09:53 AM. Reason: bwhardy was quicker....
03-15-2007, 10:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
I'll be honest that I really don't want a bag, I'm trying to be firstly unobtrusive but more to the point I don't want the encumberance of a bag for a kit I would like to be on me every time I step outside the house. Something small on my belt would be OK but nothing that is a proper bag/satchel, etc.
03-15-2007, 10:33 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Fanny Pack $9.99 - Wal-Mart

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben Rubinstein Quote
Something small on my belt would be OK but nothing that is a proper bag/satchel, etc.
03-15-2007, 10:50 AM   #7

Original Poster
Does your DSLR fit in the main pocket? That looks perfect.

Does anyone carry their lenses sans caps? I've not had a cap on my lenses for some 5 years since I went pro and couldn't afford any delays, the pancakes however (I assume all Pentax's though I don't have the experience) have a metal prong sticking out of the back that I would assume would not be good for the lens to be snagging. Is using the caps the normal way to circumvent this problem or does anyone happily chuck their lenses into the bag knowing the prong is strong enough not to be damaged?

03-15-2007, 11:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Ben, You could also try some camping goods sites like campmor (campmor.com) Cabelas (cabelas.com) or even REI, tho I find REI to be a lot on the expensive side. Look for fanny, hip or travel pouches/bag/packs. I know for a fact that campmor has a whole bunch of different sizes and types of fanny/hip packs.
As far as lens caps go I would certainly use them. You can find the plastic push on/pull off types that come off quickly enough. If you damage your lens mount you are out an otherwise perfectly good lens. I wouldn't chance it for the two seconds it would take to pull off the cap and stuff it in your pocket.

NaCl(hope that helps)H2O
03-25-2007, 09:22 PM   #9

I'd use Billingham Hardley Original...nice.
03-25-2007, 09:45 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two suggestions...

From the nature of your work, a couple of moldy old grocery store bags and a beat-up shopping cart would be the most unobtrusive carry-all.

For a slightly more up-scale look, check out:Scottevest. Be a tough-guy, wear it without a shirt!
04-11-2007, 10:18 AM   #11

Nothin new here...

I don't really have anything informative to add but to say thanks- the fanny pack looks like a great idea since I usually only carry around my pancakes too and hardly ever have deep enough pockets...

And on a different topic- Where in the middle east do you plan to shoot a 3 year project (just curious) and what of/for?