Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #46
Banned

QuoteQuote:
By the way, ever see a trick cow? You know, one that can count or do roping tricks like horses might? Hell no, cows are dumb...
oh my, now that is just classic.

12-23-2008, 12:23 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, if you want to look like you're shooting Hassie, carry a Mamiya from the Seventies. I discovered this by accident, but there we are. Instant gravitas.

(And, anyway, this is actually kind of fun. People *always* think my 1000s is a Hassie when they walk up and say hi. Lil bit of shiny chrome, meet nice people, why not. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-23-2008 at 12:34 PM.
12-24-2008, 02:59 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
(snip) There, it really pays to *not* look quite like the paparazzi. They've cheesed off so many popular media figures that the archetypal gear is a badge of 'bad guys' to many. (snip)
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I don't consider paparazzi to be photographers. just *******s with expensive cameras.

I can't really criticise the paparazzi all that much. After all, they're simply taking the images people want to see and the famous often want people to see.

You might be quite surprised at how often the famous feed info to the press and paparazzi in an effort to get their images into print. I worked as a stringer for the AP just after Lady Diana broke up with her husband, for example, and that local office always got a brief (saw & read several of them) from her publicist (yes, she had a publicist just like a rock or movie star) whenever she was planning to be in the area - describing why she was visiting, where she would be staying, what restaurants she liked, where she liked to hang out, and so on. The briefs very often also mentioned issues or rumors from her last visit, virtually ensuring those would be brought up again.

And Lady Diana often made her activities quite visible, visiting obvious locations or parking on a public street at her hotel when secure parking was available. On the night she died, for instance, of all the many out-of-the-way places she could have visited in Paris, she picked the one place she and her entourage knew herds of press and paparazzi would be waiting.

Several years ago (after Lady Diana's death), even complaining about the paparazzi was a way to get attention. Fading stars gained sympathy and publicity by doing so, while bad boys/girls gained the publicity and a boost to their bad boy/girl image when their objections turned violent. Of course, in the latter case, the bad boys/girls often picked on only one paparazzi while outright catering to the others since he/she didn't really want all of them mad enough to actually ignore him/her. This (complaining about the paparazzi) has now pretty much lost it's effectiveness, so is quickly disappearing. But, like always, the famous will find other ways to get people's attention.

stewart
12-27-2008, 01:19 PM   #49

Photos: Gallery
Why do some Pentax users have an inferiority complex compared to canikon users????

I shoot regurlarly in photo pits at from small music gigs with 20 people present to major music festivals such as Glastonbury Festival in front of 80,000 people.

So long as you have the required pass no one quizes you about your equipment.

Myself I travel light, most shows you are limited to first 3 songs no flash, so I don't need a grip for extra power, I don't need a flash.

My editor certainly does not care what equipment I use as long as he gets the shots he requires on time & ready to publish he is satisfied... Sometimes I even get an email back saying "great shots"!!! Which mean I must be doing something right as he doesn't give comments easily

If you do get the pro shoot, then do your most to enjoy yourself, I certainly do

12-27-2008, 05:17 PM   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I think it is the shades.

Attachment 24397
Nah...Its the beard

Steve
12-27-2008, 07:00 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Nah...Its the beard

Steve
Well, I knew it had to be one or the other.
12-27-2008, 07:59 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Well, I knew it had to be one or the other.
I need all the help I can get; I go with a beard and a hat.

12-28-2008, 01:08 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Here you go (taken at Road America in August):

Let me tell you...that guy was walking slowwwwwww. The main race was only 4 hours long, but it looked like he had walked the whole track multiple times over. Carrying that gear probably didn't help either lol

Another story from that day. Up on turn 5 in the stands, me with K10D/FA 80-320, I sat next to a guy with a Canon 40D and 100-400L on a monopod. What else was he doing but rocketing off pics with the cam in burst mode. I sat there, handholding my cam, in single shot mode. I guarantee we got the same pics.

But there he was, waiting for the groups of cars, holding down the shutter, then chimping after every burst. I did one burst that day, and it's cool to see the cars move. But that was one time

My position with the 16mm Zenitar (I like the boosted contrast since it really was a beautiful day):