Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #1

LL-80 and rules of third

LL-80 is 4x4 instead of 3x3 grids.
What's the difference when apply rules of thirds?

12-22-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
About seven percent?
12-22-2008, 09:48 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
About seven percent?
7%?
i don't understand.
why pentax build a 4x4 grid instead of 3x3 one.
any advantages?
12-22-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

the rule of thirds is just a suggestion, not gospel.

shoot how you want to shoot, and get the grid screen that helps you shoot how you want to shoot, if 4 lines doesnt fit your shooting style, dont get it.

my katz eye has no grid lines! ohh noes, whatever will i do? :P

12-22-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hee, well, the fourths grid is supposedly good for architecture and technical photography, ...and it shows just where the midpoint of the frame is, among other things. You don't have to be, err, ruled by the grid, though.

A thirds grid is prety convenient for a lot of things, you can check level that much more easily, since there's lines that'll tend to fall close to a good place to put the horizon, etc, and they do the job with less in the way, but I wouldn't worry too much about the differences if you already have one type or the other, or have found a bargain on one.
12-23-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Really liked the rule of thirds screens for the PZ1p's but not so sure that the grid screens were ever intended to have anything to do with rule of thirds. My 67II grid screen is divided by centimeters so it is just under 7 by just under 6 (the under value from the appx. 5% smaller view in the viewfinder). Truthfully, until your question, hadn't ever counted the squares and was pleased to find a logic to the screen in the medium format camera.
By the way, the rule of thirds screen for the PZ1p's also has diagonal divisions from corner to corner as well as the division for thirds. Certainly no "rule" dictates all compositions, but any type of grid screen sure helps keep horizons level and trees straight and surely (though I've never shot buildings) would be of tremendous help with architectural photography. Ten years ago (ok maybe 15) I did lots of inartistic photography for fishing magazines and the grid screens/rule of thirds screens really increased my keeper ratio by flattening the water level--angled water often means unsaleable photo--though there are occasional exceptions.
12-23-2008, 11:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Grid screens, like the LL-80, are architectural screens, which help to get your horizon level or recognize better the effect of converging lines. They are not meant to be a crutch for image composition.

Ben

12-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which is a well-phrased point, Ben. Grids, really, are just lines. Handy or in the way or whatever. Entirely optional, and one's about as good as another. (I think crop lines are very nice in square format cameras, but otherwise could take or leave them. Also I'm finding with my K20 that the AF brackets are handy for relaxing my eyes, also for 'If you can't see these sharply, stop struggling and trust the AF.' )