Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2008, 01:52 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Filters - Marumi -Okay?

I'm looking at 77mm and 72mm filters, UV and Polariser. Expensive.

Marumi are common here, and I know have been around for along time, but what is their quality like? I know the Hoya and B$W ones are good (from reading here anyway), but they're way more expensive, and I may not be able to stretch to them. So are Marumi any good?

12-26-2008, 02:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Marumis are awesome. I went through a number of brands and I'm settling down to Marumi. I find them to be a bit better than Hoyas and I love that they're easier to clean. Hoyas are a b*tch to clean.

The waterproof ones are awesome, pretty much as good as the DHG ones. The DHG filters are great. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between them and B+Ws, but I find them a bit better than the Hoya Pro1D filters I had.

So far, here are my rankings in experience:

B+W = or > Marumi > Sigma (Surprise! They make fantastic filters) > Hoya = Kenko

K10/20D + DA* + Waterproof Marumi filters = Wet them and you literally just have to shake/tilt the filter to get the water off, they bead and roll off nicely. My Olympus E-3 user friends are very happy with them.

They offer excellent value. How much are they there? I just got rid of all my larger filters and downsizing to 49mm for the DA Ltds. I get them off ebay.
12-26-2008, 02:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Price here for the Marumi UVs 72mm = NZ$46, 77=NZ$54.
Circular Polarisers - 72=NZ$99, 77=NZ$109

Haven't heard of the waterproof ones - sounds like just what I need for winter sport.

A shop here has these listed
- Marumi 77mm C/Pol Digital $109.00
- Marumi 77mm CPL $157.00

What's the difference?
12-26-2008, 04:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I love Marumi. One of my 72mm filter costs me 270 AUS dollars that I bought it in Japan.

It renders the images even better. The only concern is that there are plenty of fakes out there.

12-26-2008, 05:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I haven't heard of Marumi digital filters. I just stick to DHG and Waterproof ones. There's a reputable ebay shop that's based in the US, that's where I get them. I'm kinda wary of getting them from the HK and China based shops with the fakes that are going around.
12-29-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
I haven't heard of Marumi digital filters. I just stick to DHG and Waterproof ones. There's a reputable ebay shop that's based in the US, that's where I get them. I'm kinda wary of getting them from the HK and China based shops with the fakes that are going around.
DHG = Digital High Grade
I have been wondering about these filters also because of the great price. I went ahead and ordered one today ( CPL DHG 49mm ) for just under $25 and free shipping. It is water and oil resistant also So I can't really lose. I will try it out on my 77 limited and if all is well I can add polarizers to my other lenses. This guy that sells them on ebay is only a 100 miles north of me so shipping should be fast.

Also, I think I read somewhere that Marumi filters are made by the same company as Heliopan. If someone can verify that it would be good.

Oren

Last edited by OrenMc; 12-29-2008 at 08:00 AM.