Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
Forum Member

Batteries just ran out K200D

The Batteries in my K200D just ran out (Lithium). They only had about 150 shots on them and maybe 30-50 were with flash. I would have thought they would last at least 500 with maybe 100 flash shots. Anyone I can compare this with.

12-27-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's interesting. The manual says you get about 1000 shots, as did DPreview.

But I was a tad disappointed when the supplied Li batteries only gave about 400 shots (mixed with flash).

My theory is that my playing with the camera after I got it (setups/adjusments/image review/DOF stopdown etc) chewed up more power as the screen was on for longer (the backlight has to use power - thats how you can see it). I had turned off the image display after shooting though.

On the other hand, I've put in some freshly charged Eneloops (and just scored 2 more sets for Christmas - yay!) and have taken about 300 shots so far. The only limitation appears to be a slightly slower write time to SD card (I'm writing RAW(PEF)+JPEG).

There are quite a few threads about battery life to trawl through BTW.
12-27-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Just get Eneloops and forget about using any other battery ever.
12-27-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I get from 500 to 700 on a set on Lithium. Do you transfer via USB or card reader? That might chew thru some battery. I also turned down the display time of a image after picture taken time. If you are shooting high ISO/low light and there is a lot of noise reduction going on, then that might chew up battery also.

Last edited by tman1233; 12-27-2008 at 06:36 PM.
12-27-2008, 06:54 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote

But I was a tad disappointed when the supplied Li batteries only gave about 400 shots (mixed with flash).

My theory is that my playing with the camera after I got it (setups/adjusments/image review/DOF stopdown etc) chewed up more power as the screen was on for longer (the backlight has to use power - thats how you can see it). I had turned off the image display after shooting though.

On the other hand, I've put in some freshly charged Eneloops (and just scored 2 more sets for Christmas - yay!) and have taken about 300 shots so far. The only limitation appears to be a slightly slower write time to SD card (I'm writing RAW(PEF)+JPEG).

There are quite a few threads about battery life to trawl through BTW.
I read a lot of threads on batteries and that is why I was so surprised that my batteries died so fast.

MoiVous : I could see this because I also spent a lot of time getting use to the menu.
What kind of card are you writing to? I have the Sandisk 111.

tman1233: I use my memory card reader on my laptop to transfer the files over.

I also have 8 eneloops coming my way next week and then I really don’t care if I have to switch over every 300 or so but just found it strange after reading how long these batteries last. Makes me wonder of even keeping these as back up. I new the flash would drain some extra juice but not to this extent. I suppose I should buy an external flash for indoor shooting.
Anyways thanks for the prompt reply.
12-27-2008, 06:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
did you take many of your 150 shots outside? and if so, how cold was it? Low temps can kill any battery very quickly.
Cheers.
12-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
10-20 in around the -5 c

I only shot around 10-20 outside in cold weather most were shot from inside the car.

12-27-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by djayvo Quote
The Batteries in my K200D just ran out (Lithium). They only had about 150 shots on them and maybe 30-50 were with flash. I would have thought they would last at least 500 with maybe 100 flash shots. Anyone I can compare this with.
I had a similar issue with the K200D once, and it might be a bug with the battery meter related to the flash recharging. I almost *never* use the pop-up flash, but the one time I did, after about 10 shots the camera gave me a dead battery indication and stopped working. I was especially embarrassed because I was shooting some event shots for a friend, and didn't have any spare batteries (it was an unplanned role for me, which is why I was unprepared). When I got home, I turned on the camera with the same batteries still in the camera, and it indicated a full charge! I probably got another 400-500 shots out of them, but I haven't used the pop-up flash since. Test the batteries again after letting the camera rest a while, and see if you get the same outcome.
12-27-2008, 08:41 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
NO luck

No they are dead. I'll go back to the camera store and see if they can replace them and give it another try. Only had the camera about a month and they should be able to tell how many pics I took. Maybe customer service is top on there list.
12-28-2008, 10:07 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
new lithium's

Henry's the camera shop I deal with agreed and gave me 4 new Lithium's.
I'm still wondering if my camera is a energy hog but at least I can try again.
12-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote

I hought it was common knowledge that the supplied batteries, whether with your camera, or remote, or anything, are only there for testing purposes, nothing else...
12-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day dave,
The K200D now comes with a set of Energiser Lithiums. One could assume these are the same battery that can be bought over the counter....but in this day & age of smoke and mirrors, one is never sure.

Cheers.
12-28-2008, 03:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
I hought it was common knowledge that the supplied batteries, whether with your camera, or remote, or anything, are only there for testing purposes, nothing else...
I would have thought that too - bit like printer cartridges are test drive versions (hence my switch to CISS ink ), but the Energizer Lithiums that came with it had an expiry of 2017 from memory. The Energizer Li battery have a quoted 10 year shelf life as well, so it would be reasonable to assume a fairly fresh set of batteries are supplied. Whatever the case, they didn't last long - C'est la vie!
12-28-2008, 03:15 PM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I would also wonder how much you are using the rear LCD. If you have the preview on for long periods and review images a lot, zooming etc. you'll go through the batteries much faster. With the next fresh set, either turn the preview off or just to one second. That will extend battery life quite a bit.
12-28-2008, 03:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by djayvo Quote
Henry's the camera shop I deal with agreed and gave me 4 new Lithium's.
I'm still wondering if my camera is a energy hog but at least I can try again.
Good to see the vendor responded positively.

The K200D should not be a energy hog - I looked at the on-line pdf K200D Manual - the battery specs -

compared to the K100D it seems like an improvement.

Using eneloops I have gotten shot counts of between 600 (mostly with flash) -1100 (mostly without flash) per charge.
see: k100d battery recommendation