Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-06-2023, 01:13 PM   #1
Forum Member

Using hoods with step-up rings

I am thinking of getting rid of all my filters except for the largest diameter ones, and use them on all the lenses with step-up rings. However, I typically use filters (CPL and ND) in bright light. This is exactly when one also wants to use a hood. However, using a larger filter with a step-up ring will prevent one from using the hood. How do you get around this?

02-06-2023, 01:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

You could go with a matte box, otherwise it's a pick and choose battle.
02-06-2023, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

60+ years of photography I've never used a hood with a cpl or nd filter.
02-06-2023, 02:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You could use a screw-on hood or shield the lens with your hand from direct sunlight.
For some of my vintage lenses, that came without a hood, I use a screw-on hood with a step-up ring so I can use my ND filters on those too (the difference in filter diameter is not much though 49mm-52mm, for bigger jumps in diameter I wouldn't use the same filters)

02-06-2023, 02:35 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
You could use a screw-on hood or shield the lens with your hand from direct sunlight.
For some of my vintage lenses, that came without a hood, I use a screw-on hood with a step-up ring so I can use my ND filters on those too (the difference in filter diameter is not much though 49mm-52mm, for bigger jumps in diameter I wouldn't use the same filters)
The idea is to use 77mm filters on lenses with diameters from 49 to 77 mm. That's focal range from 10mm to 300mm. It is hard to use the same hood on all of them .

---------- Post added 02-06-23 at 04:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
60+ years of photography I've never used a hood with a cpl or nd filter.
Why not? You never had a situation with the sun (or its reflection) right at the edge of the frame?
02-06-2023, 03:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

With a magic lens hood of course! Just kidding. I think you might need to be a little more realistic with your expectations. That is a tall order for one lens hood to cover for a 10-300mm focal length range and 77mm filter ring for a 49mm lens. I mean a 10mm lens hood has to be a pancake vs a deep tube for 300mm. Perhaps it might be easier to do with two sizes of stepper rings and lens hoods to cover that range.
02-06-2023, 11:29 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never used these, but have been curious about them. They come in 3 sizes, so consider what size (diameter) lens you might commonly use. They're flexible and adjustable to the size of most lenses. You can move it to shield the lens and filter from whatever direction of light you're experiencing.

Flex Shade for SLR Lenses

There's another brand as well. Jerry Hughes Photography Lens Visor Adjustable Lens Shade

(and probably off-brand concepts on the auction site, etc)

Or you could buy a couple flexible rubber screw-on lens shades to thread into the filter size that you decide upon.

02-07-2023, 03:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxxoid Quote
The idea is to use 77mm filters on lenses with diameters from 49 to 77 mm. That's focal range from 10mm to 300mm. It is hard to use the same hood on all of them .

---------- Post added 02-06-23 at 04:36 PM ----------

Why not? You never had a situation with the sun (or its reflection) right at the edge of the frame?
Nope, not to the point I needed to use a lens hood with one, there are other ways to shade. Plus now I don't use circular screw in circular filters at the ends of my lens. I use a filter holders that don't leak light.
02-11-2023, 09:07 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

The idea is to use 77mm filters on lenses with diameters from 49 to 77 mm. That's focal range from 10mm to 300mm. It is hard to use the same hood on all of them
One thing to consider when sticking a 77mm filter onto the front of a 49mm filter thread is all that extra glass gives a lot of extra opportunity for front surface flare, especially veiling flare.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 02-11-2023 at 10:54 PM.
02-19-2023, 07:49 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am thinking of getting rid of all my filters except for the largest diameter ones, and use them on all the lenses with step-up rings. However, I typically use filters (CPL and ND) in bright light. This is exactly when one also wants to use a hood. However, using a larger filter with a step-up ring will prevent one from using the hood. How do you get around this?
I have two lens hoods from Kuvrd for times like this. They are made of silicon-like material so they can fit a variety of diameters, are relatively inexpensive and work well enough for my needs. Kuvrd also makes some really useful and good quality replacement cushioned lens covers which I often use when I take a lens out for the day.