Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
eclipsed450
Guest




I need a bag...

I have my K100D Super, 18-55+hood, 50-200+hood, 50 f2, extra set or two of batteries, mini tripod, couple other misc accessories; no external flash...I always leave a lens on when i put the camera away, no preference, just whichever i was last shooting with. I'd like it to be good and secure for rough hiking as well as a carry-on for flying, but also want quick/easy access to the camera for impromptu shots...suggestions??

12-29-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member
ftpaddict's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Yurp
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,666
Try one of these.
12-29-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
eclipsed450
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Try one of these.
i likes...any product info (brand/model) so i can look them up?? thanks
12-29-2008, 10:33 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,643
Something like the Lowepro Mini Trekker AW might do just fine. It's a backpack style and easy to carry in the field or on the plane. I chose a similar Ebay knock off about 2 years ago that was very cheap but has held up in bad weather and dragging around.

The version i bought is not made any more but this is similar:

Apollo Camera Backpack Bag modeled after Tamrac Summit - eBay (item 310110873339 end time Dec-29-08 19:00:00 PST)

12-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member
ftpaddict's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Yurp
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,666
QuoteOriginally posted by eclipsed450 Quote
i likes...any product info (brand/model) so i can look them up?? thanks

Pentax crossover bag
Pentax Sling Bag

Lowepro Slingshot series

They are similar in many ways, the Lowepro being slightly more expensive and more waterproof.
12-29-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member
ftpaddict's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Yurp
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,666

Peter that looks so much like my Tamrac Adventure 75... which model did they rip off?
12-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #7
eclipsed450
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Something like the Lowepro Mini Trekker AW might do just fine. It's a backpack style and easy to carry in the field or on the plane. I chose a similar Ebay knock off about 2 years ago that was very cheap but has held up in bad weather and dragging around.

The version i bought is not made any more but this is similar:

Apollo Camera Backpack Bag modeled after Tamrac Summit - eBay (item 310110873339 end time Dec-29-08 19:00:00 PST)
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote

Pentax crossover bag
Pentax Sling Bag

Lowepro Slingshot series

They are similar in many ways, the Lowepro being slightly more expensive and more waterproof.
i think i'm leaning towards a sling style pack a little more, mainly because I carry a backpack for work...
this one states it has a cover, which i guess would be for severe weather?? otherwise, a light drizzle should be fine without the cover, right??
Lowepro SLINGSHOT 100 AW SLR Digital Camera Sling Bag

thanks guys

12-29-2008, 10:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,643
This one: Tamrac - Model 777 Summit Photo Backpack The version I got is similar and was around $40.00 It's been tough and holds enough for my needs most of the time.
12-29-2008, 10:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,643
The Slingshots that ftpaddict linked to are very good bags and really easy to use. The 200 is bigger and probably the better unit to get. Should be fine in average weather without the cover.
12-29-2008, 11:29 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ChrisPlatt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rockaway Beach NYC
Posts: 6,949
I visited B&H yesterday and spent some time looking at camera bags.
I was not impressed by most current models - they're just too complicated!
Lots of compartments and fasteners might seem like a good idea, but they will only serve to slow you down.

My advice is to buy the simplest design that will accomodate your kit.

Chris
12-29-2008, 11:50 AM   #11
eclipsed450
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I visited B&H yesterday and spent some time looking at camera bags.
I was not impressed by most current models - they're just too complicated!
Lots of compartments and fasteners might seem like a good idea, but they will only serve to slow you down.

My advice is to buy the simplest design that will accomodate your kit.

Chris
you have a wonderful luxury of having b&h "around the corner"
12-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #12
WJW
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 383
QuoteOriginally posted by eclipsed450 Quote
i think i'm leaning towards a sling style pack a little more, mainly because I carry a backpack for work...
this one states it has a cover, which i guess would be for severe weather?? otherwise, a light drizzle should be fine without the cover, right??
I looked at the Slingshot 100 and 200 but decided on the Pentax Sling bag because of the compartment layout. I don't like the way the Lowepro bags only have two compartments. I wasn't able to compare them side-by-side, but I think the Pentax sling is between the 100 and 200 in size.

My kit is somewhat similar to yours.

Top: Tamron 70-300 w hood, assted odds-n-ends
Middle: K100D w/ Sigma 24-60 2.8 attached, "A" 50mm f1.4, 3 sets AA batteries
Bottom: 18-55 w hood, 2X macro focus (MF) TC OR Canon P&S film camera, 1.5X AF TC

Jeff
12-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #14
eclipsed450
Guest




<-- rings mom to use her costco membership
12-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 419
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I visited B&H yesterday and spent some time looking at camera bags.
I was not impressed by most current models - they're just too complicated!
Lots of compartments and fasteners might seem like a good idea, but they will only serve to slow you down.

My advice is to buy the simplest design that will accomodate your kit.

Chris

I totally agree
that's why i went with the Domke F3X

Dave
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, hood, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General Purpose Messenger Bag as Camera Bag? jaieger Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 13 07-23-2010 09:57 AM
buy a smaller bag with attachments, or a larger bag? pete_pf Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 12 10-13-2009 07:05 AM
Modifying folding chair bag into tripod bag Chris Stearns Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 10 07-03-2009 07:34 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:46 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top