Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2023, 12:42 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Tripods for Pentaxians - The Nightaxians Episode 10 (YouTube podcast)

Tripods for Pentaxians - The Nightaxians Episode 10

There's no such thing as the perfect tripod but there may be the perfect tripod for you. In this episode, we talk about the tripods we're using to help support the mighty Pentax K-1 and the 15-30 lens during our long exposure shoots.

Do you have a favorite tripod when using for supporting heavier setups such as the Pentax K-1 and 15-30mm f/2.8 lens?

02-21-2023, 05:09 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a Leofoto kit LN 404c

LOVE it. I'm 5-11/180.34 tall, and I can walk under it. I use it with my 645Z, so obviously it's ok with my K1mkII.
02-21-2023, 05:33 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I already commented on your video as the fellow Slik 700DX user, but have another.
02-21-2023, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

~

I, too, have the Leofoto LN-404C. Mine has a large gimbal attached, always. Small gimbal on an LS-365CEX, ballheads on LM-364C & LN-364C for general purposes, LN-324C w/ ballhead for hiking. None with center columns. I started with Manfrottos, all those are aluminum.

02-22-2023, 10:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote

LOVE it. I'm 5-11/180.34 tall, and I can walk under it. I use it with my 645Z, so obviously it's ok with my K1mkII.
I love that link where it list compatible devices as "iPhone 5"
02-22-2023, 02:31 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Yeah, more than okay! That's a heavy camera.

Being able to walk under it is kinda amazing. I have a very tall Robus tripod that I can walk under. That is a really well-made tripod, too.

---------- Post added 02-22-23 at 03:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
I already commented on your video as the fellow Slik 700DX user, but have another.
Haha! Yes, I see the Mooncatt name and the Slik 700DX underneath, haha! Thanks!

---------- Post added 02-22-23 at 03:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnMc Quote
I love that link where it list compatible devices as "iPhone 5"
Haha! Yeah, good to know!
02-23-2023, 05:18 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The best tripod is the one you have with you. I’ve got only a few “must have” features, after that fitting in the pack beats most other things
So I went compact - got the peak design aluminum version, and “fixed it” with a benro 3 way head
It’s seen a lot of use, I might look at one of the knock-offs if there was a smaller one (when collapsed) with better options for swappable feet.

02-23-2023, 02:51 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
~

I, too, have the Leofoto LN-404C. Mine has a large gimbal attached, always. Small gimbal on an LS-365CEX, ballheads on LM-364C & LN-364C for general purposes, LN-324C w/ ballhead for hiking. None with center columns. I started with Manfrottos, all those are aluminum.

~

addendum: I have no proof, but believe Leofoto manufactures tripods and heads for other resellers (RRS, Kingjoy, perhaps others), putting the other company names on the product. If you examine Leofoto's line, it is rather extensive and their items appear identical to the secondary brands, who sell them for much higher prices.

02-23-2023, 06:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rvandenbrink Quote
The best tripod is the one you have with you. I’ve got only a few “must have” features, after that fitting in the pack beats most other things
So I went compact - got the peak design aluminum version, and “fixed it” with a benro 3 way head
It’s seen a lot of use, I might look at one of the knock-offs if there was a smaller one (when collapsed) with better options for swappable feet.
Yes, and if your tripod doesn't fit your needs, it's less likely you will have it with you. Also, if it's a pain in the rear to use, you won't use it much either.

---------- Post added 02-23-23 at 07:50 PM ----------

~

addendum: I have no proof, but believe Leofoto manufactures tripods and heads for other resellers (RRS, Kingjoy, perhaps others), putting the other company names on the product. If you examine Leofoto's line, it is rather extensive and their items appear identical to the secondary brands, who sell them for much higher prices.
Oh, interesting, I never thought of that. The one Leofoto in person I saw appeared to be very well-machined and well-constructed.
02-23-2023, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Tripods. Another thing that one needs several of. I have four of the things, three of which I actually use. I have a lightweight Feisol Traveller, a Feisol Tournament and a Zone VI wooden tripod. I also have some sort of gigantic Manfrotto thing that weighs a ton and might become the tripod I have to use with the X-T5 when I'm doing Pixel Shift images.

I follow that guy on YouTube. He publishes really good material.
02-24-2023, 12:05 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m pretty sure RRS would regard that statement as defamatory: Chinese knock-off manufacturer actually making stuff for perhaps the priciest tripod etc brand on the planet…. but it gave me a good laugh!!
02-24-2023, 02:16 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Tripods. Another thing that one needs several of. I have four of the things, three of which I actually use. I have a lightweight Feisol Traveller, a Feisol Tournament and a Zone VI wooden tripod. I also have some sort of gigantic Manfrotto thing that weighs a ton and might become the tripod I have to use with the X-T5 when I'm doing Pixel Shift images.

Yes, besides the LeoFoto I mentioned above, I also have a Feisol travel tripod, maybe 10 years old or so now, still one of the best out there; then there's an old Manfrotto aluminum one that's larger and heavy with a half ball leveler that I leave at work with a dolly, now mainly for video work. Then there's a couple of monopods with feet, and then there's the heads, one for the monopods and a couple of Acratechs for travel, and the one fluid head for video and then a geared head for heavy but still delicate work. Then there's the bags....oh lord never flippin' mind! I used to be a minimalist photographer with respect to gear....
02-24-2023, 11:45 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken Lee Quote

Oh, interesting, I never thought of that. The one Leofoto in person I saw appeared to be very well-machined and well-constructed.
~

The Leofoto products I own are all of excellent quality.

02-25-2023, 01:34 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote

Cool. Another Feisol fan here. Feisol CT-3372 (with RRS BH-55 ball head) and CT-3342 (with Acratech gp-s ball head). I also have an amazing Robus tripod that is super well-machined and well-made.

---------- Post added 02-25-23 at 02:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I’m pretty sure RRS would regard that statement as defamatory: Chinese knock-off manufacturer actually making stuff for perhaps the priciest tripod etc brand on the planet…. but it gave me a good laugh!!
Out of curiosity, do you know where the RRS stuff is made? I have their BH-55 ball head and it's a thing of beauty.

---------- Post added 02-25-23 at 02:36 AM ----------

Yes, besides the LeoFoto I mentioned above, I also have a Feisol travel tripod, maybe 10 years old or so now, still one of the best out there; then there's an old Manfrotto aluminum one that's larger and heavy with a half ball leveler that I leave at work with a dolly, now mainly for video work. Then there's a couple of monopods with feet, and then there's the heads, one for the monopods and a couple of Acratechs for travel, and the one fluid head for video and then a geared head for heavy but still delicate work. Then there's the bags....oh lord never flippin' mind! I used to be a minimalist photographer with respect to gear....
Haha! It happens. After a while, we just start accumulating stuff. And sometimes, it's a pain in the rear to sell or we think we might need something later. And so it sits....

Another Feisol fan right here. And Acratech.

---------- Post added 02-25-23 at 02:36 AM ----------

~

The Leofoto products I own are all of excellent quality.

Oh cool, good to know. I was impressed by that one I saw so far, and my friend really likes it so far.
02-25-2023, 01:43 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken Lee Quote
]… Out of curiosity, do you know where the RRS stuff is made? I have their BH-55 ball head and it's a thing of beauty…
Their website says they make and hand-assemble everything in the USA; they’re based in Lehi, Utah.