Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-12-2023, 04:56 AM   #1

Poncho Ponderings

Can I get recommendations for a rain poncho that would be good for moist shooting conditions? On the more affordable side would be preferable. 😊

03-12-2023, 07:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grossman Quote
Can I get recommendations for a rain poncho that would be good for moist shooting conditions? On the more affordable side would be preferable. 😊
I'm guessing for you camera gear and not you? There was just another thread on this, I mentioned the Optec rain sleeves, I used before I had WR lenses. They are basically clear plastic bags open on both ends, tape or band one end to the lens hood, the other is big enough to get your hands up into to control the camera. Optec is what I remember having, there are other brands and I'm sure they are all comparable.
03-12-2023, 12:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I'm guessing for you camera gear and not you? There was just another thread on this, I mentioned the Optec rain sleeves, I used before I had WR lenses. They are basically clear plastic bags open on both ends, tape or band one end to the lens hood, the other is big enough to get your hands up into to control the camera. Optec is what I remember having, there are other brands and I'm sure they are all comparable.
That previous post was mine. This one is for me, some sort of traditional type of poncho that won’t restrict my photographic movements too much while still keeping me relatively dry. I don’t intend to be shooting in heavy wind blown rain or snowstorms, just light to moderate moisture sprinklings & a wet walk around after the fact.
03-12-2023, 01:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That previous post was mine. This one is for me, some sort of traditional type of poncho that won’t restrict my photographic movements too much while still keeping me relatively dry. I don’t intend to be shooting in heavy wind blown rain or snowstorms, just light to moderate moisture sprinklings & a wet walk around after the fact.
My bad! Personally I would go for a rain coat/suit over a poncho. I've got a couple of Columbia rain jackets, and I've got a frogg togg rain suit. I'm cheap, those Columbia jackets came from a Columbia outlet store. Too bad you are not here right now, we stopped at an outfitter store yesterday and they had a lot of rain gear marked 75% off.

03-12-2023, 03:02 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bit odd idea maybe, but you might want to try/ have look at cycling/biking poncho's...
They are made to cover the steering wheel but you could easily hide a camera under it...?
If you are after wildlife, just avoid those with reflecting material on it...
03-12-2023, 05:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
Bit odd idea maybe, but you might want to try/ have look at cycling/biking poncho's...
They are made to cover the steering wheel but you could easily hide a camera under it...?
If you are after wildlife, just avoid those with reflecting material on it...
Actually that could do double duty in a pinch, as I’m an avid Recumbent Cyclist who takes his camera on trike trips. Only thing is that I don’t usually trike in wet weather, but this could tempt me. I ‘ll check out that bike lane.

---------- Post added 03-12-23 at 05:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
My bad! Personally I would go for a rain coat/suit over a poncho. I've got a couple of Columbia rain jackets, and I've got a frogg togg rain suit. I'm cheap, those Columbia jackets came from a Columbia outlet store. Too bad you are not here right now, we stopped at an outfitter store yesterday and they had a lot of rain gear marked 75% off.
Thanks, I’ll look into the jacket idea, as my camera will likely be protected enough so that a poncho wouldn’t really be needed for extra protection.
03-13-2023, 02:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

If your going to be carrying your gear in a back pack then the Cedar Tree Packa is very good for that. Frogg Toggs makes a good poncho as well as other rain gear.

03-13-2023, 04:23 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually that could do double duty in a pinch, as I’m an avid Recumbent Cyclist who takes his camera on trike trips. Only thing is that I don’t usually trike in wet weather, but this could tempt me. I ‘ll check out that bike lane.
Note that these poncho's catch lots of wind at speed, so more suited for slow, leisurly (in rain?) city biking than for sports cycling....
03-13-2023, 11:43 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
Note that these poncho's catch lots of wind at speed, so more suited for slow, leisurly (in rain?) city biking than for sports cycling....
Slow & easy is the cornerstone of recumbent tricycling, akin to the traditional two wheeled variety in name only. Look up the contraptions on line & you’ll get what I mean, best kept out in the open air secret in the field, rightfully taking off like wildfire by those in the know. Whee particular club members fittingly label our brother/sister hood the Low Lifes. 😉
03-20-2023, 04:06 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The benefit of a poncho is that it'll cover your camera bag as well as you. I carry a compact breathable one while traveling, just in case. I don't usually shoot while wearing it, but it keeps me from staying indoors due to the mere possibility of showers. I have a FROGG TOGGS Men's Ultra-lite2 Waterproof Breathable Poncho.
03-21-2023, 04:36 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is this for emergencies or are you going to be out regularly?

If it is for emergencies, nothing beats the ponchos that are essentially large garbage bags like what they give out at tourist attractions.

If it is a planned activity, to go out when it is going to be really wet, I prefer a proper rain coat and pants
03-22-2023, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I hike and backpack extensively in the wet Smokies, and use a Campmor brand poncho or a Liberty Mountain poncho. The Liberty Mountain poncho is very well made, but runs around $75. I have used only ponchos for backpacking for the past 27 years and won’t use anything else!