Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2008, 09:27 AM   #16
Banned

my MX rarely ever gets used without the winder, but for film it serves a purpose. it gives me 3 FPS auto advance. the same goes for my Super A and my ME F, but the grip for digital just seems useless. my longest lens is the Tele-Takumar 300 6.3 and that thing is so light for a 300mm lens that it feels comfortable even on my K-m. grip for film = win, digital = lose. the winder MX I think is so perfect its ridiculous, it just makes that camera feel 'right'. it also makes the MX look more 'pro' as well. in fact I get asked all the time when I have my MX 'are you are pro photographer?' apparently film still holds a special status even among the younger folks. the only thing that I can really see the battery grip being good for is extended battery life. but for me going unnoticed as much as possible is the key. you really cant do that with a digtal SLR+battery grip combo.

12-31-2008, 09:52 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting Seamuis. I have the MX/winder combo as well and like it for the same reasons you state. The MX just “feels” wrong without the winder. In my case it is because I find the MX too small to hold comfortably without it. The size of the MX is one of the few flaws, in my mind, in an otherwise great camera. I’ll grant the extra fps is a nice feature as well. The size/feel factors are the main reasons I got the grip for the K10D. I don’t find the weight to be an issue at all. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Cheers,

Tom G
12-31-2008, 09:54 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I use the grip, dating all the way back to film cameras w/power winders. Then it was the *istD and now the K20. The K20 is the only one I've ever put batteries in though.

On my Contax cameras it was there for the added grip area & the portrait orientation shutter button. Same on the *istD, especially since it never worked with batteries in it anyway.

On the K20 I just put the spare battery in the grip since it actually works, and I don't worry about taking a charger for a 2-3 day trip. I am always amazed at how small even the K20 is after removing the grip.

The great thing about them is you can use them or not, as your needs dictate. Unlike a pro body, where you use it whether you want to or not.
12-31-2008, 09:57 AM   #19
Banned

certainly cant argue with that. though to be honest as right as the MX feels with it, I could likely use it without and never have a problem (other than having to advance my own film) I have small hands for a guy (despite being 6'2) that's why I also use the K-m. but all that aside, I imagine if I was in your shoes (despite not wanting the likely garnered attention) the balance it would give would really be undeniable, particularly with long fast glass. then again a black rapid strap might solve that at a slightly cheaper price.

12-31-2008, 10:02 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
my MX rarely ever gets used without the winder, but for film it serves a purpose. it gives me 3 FPS auto advance. the same goes for my Super A and my ME F, but the grip for digital just seems useless. my longest lens is the Tele-Takumar 300 6.3 and that thing is so light for a 300mm lens that it feels comfortable even on my K-m. grip for film = win, digital = lose. the winder MX I think is so perfect its ridiculous, it just makes that camera feel 'right'. it also makes the MX look more 'pro' as well. in fact I get asked all the time when I have my MX 'are you are pro photographer?' apparently film still holds a special status even among the younger folks. the only thing that I can really see the battery grip being good for is extended battery life. but for me going unnoticed as much as possible is the key. you really cant do that with a digtal SLR+battery grip combo.
It's fair enough. I do like winder-driven film bodies, and having shot with a friend's ME Super+winder a lot, that's one of my favorites, (though it kind of defeats the purpose of carrying minimal film)

I do like winders for other reasons, a lot of subjects will tense up and pose for the first shot, then when they hear that little racket, think you're done and immediately relax back to what they were doing or thinking or feeling... meanwhile, of course, I'm still on 'em.

I think it's really not so much about how the camera itself looks as how you *present* it: a bigger device doesn't have to be intimidating if it's all about making it what I call 'an instrument of friendly attention.' Especially with children (doing stuff like that is actually often when I most like to use that winder's capabilities and also my biggest commonly-used lens: ) ...People basically don't know from cameras, but they all pick up on body language and attitude.

An exception, perhaps, is the truly huge folding rubber hood I have for that lens, mostly only used to keep the snow off while walking around: *that* is so big that people tend to lose interest in being photographed and all their attention goes to 'OK, what *is* that? ' Still, I call this hood 'The Front Porch.' I could put it on my head and audition for Devo.
12-31-2008, 10:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Still, I call this hood 'The Front Porch.' I could put it on my head and audition for Devo.
Hehehe, thanks for the laugh.
12-31-2008, 10:19 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
my MX rarely ever gets used without the winder, but for film it serves a purpose. it gives me 3 FPS auto advance. the same goes for my Super A and my ME F, but the grip for digital just seems useless.
Yeah, I used to question digital grips because that don't serve a real "purpose". I mean I can shoot portrait orientation w/o it, and the battery lasts forever anyway, so what do I need that for. Then I tried one - as you said of your cameras, the camera just feels complete with it.

... for me going unnoticed as much as possible is the key. you really cant do that with a digtal SLR+battery grip combo.
In general in my pursuits, I try to perform like a pro, while not looking like one, so that's a small negative of the grip for me, but as far as being noticed... in all likelihood, I'm seen most with my camera by either my family (who already know I'm a huge nerd), or by woodland creatures, who's only evaluation of my camera equipment is to judge how long my lens is so they can know how far away from me they need to stay.

12-31-2008, 10:27 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
An exception, perhaps, is the truly huge folding rubber hood I have for that lens, mostly only used to keep the snow off while walking around: *that* is so big that people tend to lose interest in being photographed and all their attention goes to 'OK, what *is* that? ' Still, I call this hood 'The Front Porch.' I could put it on my head and audition for Devo.
The hood I used for my Yashica D today was on my head. When necessary, I always use my hat as a lens hood.
12-31-2008, 10:47 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
In general in my pursuits, I try to perform like a pro, while not looking like one, so that's a small negative of the grip for me, but as far as being noticed... in all likelihood, I'm seen most with my camera by either my family (who already know I'm a huge nerd), or by woodland creatures, who's only evaluation of my camera equipment is to judge how long my lens is so they can know how far away from me they need to stay.
Heehee. Actually, I consider putting people at their ease (or otherwise becoming part of the scenery/situation in the way it takes to get the shots) to be a *prime* professional skill, anyway.

Fact is, a lot of 'real pros' can get pretty jaded, as can happen in any profession. They aren't always doing things the 'best' way, they're doing things the 'best way to pay the bills' and often as anxious to get it done and get home as anyone else.

Habits form, not all of them the 'best' from the standpoint of someone doing it for the love of it, or, maybe like me, giving it her all once in a while, rather than doing a daily grind.

It's not necessarily about the look of the gear, (as useful as unobtrusiveness can be at times: I think Seamuis' K-M concept is lovely, like rangefinders for street photo: seems I'm just always willing to carry a certain amount of stuff around, anyway. )

I wonder sometimes if it's really about the 'professional look' of a bigger rig, say with a grip. My experience of some of these petal shaped hoods is sometimes I want one I can saw off, just cause they often look pointy and aggressive.

Also cause they're a pain to set down when I need a free hand for a second.

(and hee, about the big rubber hood comments. Sometimes I think where that throws subjects off has a great deal to do with the fact it actually *obscures my face.* Instead of dealing with *me,* subjects are looking at a big piece of *equipment.* )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-31-2008 at 10:53 AM.