Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Nice review Edvinas, I will have to get a review up of my gitzo 1932 (basalt) and photo clam pc-33ns ballhead. The photo clam is a 'knock-off' of the markins heads (which were at a time also a knockoff!). I can't say enough praise for these higher end ballheads, they are just a pleasure to work with. Friction controls, tight lockdown without any movement of the camera are both worth their weight in gold. It was interesting to read about your gripe with the panning base - I had read about that as well, and although price was the main deciding factor (after ebay cashback I got the photo clam and plate for under $200), the photo clam does not have this pan base locking problem. Another nice thing with the photoclam is a dual level (vertical and horizontal) is built into the side of the head, rather than its base, so it is visible with the camera mounted (the markins setup makes absolutely no sense!)

I gave the feisol legs some serious consideration (the way the tournament folds is very compact), but went with the gitzo (again on ebay) after having been able to handle them at a local shop - the twist locks are a breeze, and a 3.2lbs it is quite lightweight (same weight as what I was using previously, however a full foot or more taller, bringing it almost to eye level without the center column extended).

I found your comments regarding hanging a bag interesting as well - hanging it on the center column fully extended down also produces a pendulum swing which is difficult to counteract as well. I think the best solution is a bungee or string to step on in either case (center column or not).

Thanks for the review!

11-29-2009, 07:25 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Feisol CT-3342 and Markins M-10

Nice review and consistent with my experience using the FEISOL Tournament Class three-section tripod CT-3342 paired to a Markins M-10 Ballhead. In a nutshell, I agree with the conclusion. My comments are as follows and noted below as "(CT-3342:...)":

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote

Conclusion

I definitely recommend both tripod and ball head, especially if you want something compact and light. This very light and compact combination manages to be sturdy enough to easy hold an equipment most of us own. (CT-3342 and Markins M-10: Agree)

Tripod legs pros
  • Lightweight (CT-3342: Agree)
  • Legs fold back, therefore very compact folded (CT-3342: Agree)
  • Good height (CT-3342: Agree)
Tripod legs cons
  • Vibrates in wind (CT-3342: The three leg version seems pretty stiff. I carry a couple of plastic grocery bags in my pack that can be used to attach to the lower hook. Add some rocks for more stability, if needed.)
  • Rotating legs (CT-3342: The leg locks twist to tighten and release for height adjustment. Not an issue for me.)
  • No bubble level (CT-3342: K-7 has built-in level indicator, so not an issue.)
Ball head pros
  • Lightweight (Markins M-10: Agree)
  • Very good maximum load (Markins M-10: Agree)
  • Very easy to find sweet spot of the ball head (Markins M-10: Agree)
  • Easy, smooth operation (Markins M-10: Agree)
Ball head cons
  • Panorama locking know does not completely lock ball head from rotating (Markins M-10: Locks down tightly for me)
  • Bubble level is hidden when camera is mounted (Markins M-10: K-7 has built-in level indicator, so not an issue.)
My 0.02 cent$.

Enjoy the season...
12-19-2009, 05:36 AM   #33

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Velbon Sherpa 803R with QHD-63Q Mag Ball Head

Most people don't give Velbon the time of day but considering we are all shooting Pentax and that is by consideration of the mainstream "weird and unusual" why not have a look at the "weird and unusual" as far as tripods go.

I have the Velbon Sherpa 803R with the QHD-62Q Mag ball head with Quick Release plate.

Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 attached to a Pentax K200D.

Specs:

Extension Height: 1700mm
Minimum Height: 580mm
Folded Height: 630mm
Weight: 2300g
Leg Diameter: 26mm
Section: 3
Max Load: 4kg+

Stability:

This tripod is extremely strong and stable, and Im not joking, Ive sat down on this tripod (with all legs collapsed) and it has supported my weight quite fine (Some 70ish kilos) Extended to it's maximum this tripod shows no movement or vibrations in the Viewfinder or on images, although i do not suggest you sit on your tripod

it's Leg locking mechanism is a tabbed clamp one, although it is not like the adjustable screw types you will find on Carbon fibre ones it still has an extremely strong hold and I have never had a leg slip.

Construction:

The Tripod is a aluminium with rubber grommets on the end to reduce vibrations and increase grip.
The leg joints are housed in a pressed aluminium casting with stainless steel bolts

The tripod has 2 foam grips attached, which help transporting it by allowing you to lug it over and onto your shoulder with the camera and lens attached. so this tripod is friendly to your shoulders in that respect.

The Top of the leg assembly there is a rubber ring that acts as a dampener for/ when the centre column is retracted.

Centre column locking screw and rubber padding

The Centre Colum is slightly wider in diameter than the legs adding to stability, if you remove the head, leaving the tripod centre column bare Im sure it would double as a handy baton to help you get through the bad neighbourhoods.

You can also pull the centre column out and inset it upside down from the bottom allowing you to get close to the ground for macros or for copy work.

Top of centre column without head

Tripod head:

QHD-62Q

This badboy is made out of mag-alloy ball and socket, same thing used is hip replacement operations. It's Locking is done by a knob that has adjustable tension this is achieved by pulling the knob outwards and adjusting its position/tension then pushing back in to leave it.

Ball Heads are great for quick movements and adjustments, but horrible for fine movements.

It supports some decent weight for a ball joint, able to hold a K20D+Grip with a 70-200mm f2.8 and a Metz 48 flashgun on obscure angles without any slip or play.

The ball head give you 2 sprit levels although on mine you get only 1, I kinda dropped my tripod onto a concrete floor.

The Quick release plate must of been co-designed with the folk at Pentax because when the plate is attached to the K20D or K10D (without grip) it fits perfectly onto the body but still allowing you to access the battery door.

It's not a small plate....I hate small plates, dinner plates included. It's about 47mm by 83mm by 11mm thick.

To attach the plate to a camera or lens mount you simply screw it in but this is one of those plates that have an slot-head on it, so either a coin or using the supplied screwer-iner will do the job, luckily the screwer-iner thingy clips onto the bottom of the plate for storage,

Velbon HC-28/28 (table clamp)

I love this gizmo, at first I though I would have no or little use for it but it is a fantastic feature, it allows you to clamp it to a table/beams/polls ect and then you can insert the tripod centre column.

I've had this tripod for nearly a year and it's a fantastic investment, sure it's a heavy beast, large and slightly cumbersome but it's Stable, and sturdy and that what I want in a tripod. Because it's not a Carbon fibre tripod it's absorbs a lot of vibrations coming from the ground and shutter. Carbon fibre although having a high tensile strength allows for vibrations to be passed through it easier, plus they have cruddy compression strength.

So in sum-up

I love this tripod, considering it's was a barging for $100AUD at Ted's it's just out-performed it's price range and ones a lot higher up. Having used this thing extensively in the past year in place like the beach with salt spray and sand, Having the legs put into a creek, lugging it around the blue mountains, dirty and greasy car parks to indoor work it has never let me down (get it...down...o well)
when you buy it you get a nice shiny box and a carry bag for the tripod.

SO for $100 you get a insanely sturdy tripod, a awesome mag-alloy ball head, QR plate, table clamp and carry bag....i think it's a Sensational deal. Cannot emphasize how much i adore this tripod.

9.5/10

why 9.5? Could be lighter and a nicer carry bag, but no real deal breakers for me

That is my review on the Velbon Sherpa 803R and QHD-63Q Ball Head.

have a good one!

Ps: hope this helps Vylen
01-01-2010, 09:59 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Manfrotto 676B monopod

Now that I've had this monopod for over a year and it's been superseded in the lineup by the 776YB I guess it's time to write it up a little.

I wanted a small, light monopod to take everywhere including in my luggage when traveling. I chose the 676B because of it's price and spec's and because of the build quality I had seen with other Manfrotto 'pods.

Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 8405
Size:  9.6 KB Name:  269962.jpg
Views: 8340
Size:  26.2 KB

Specifications:
attachment 1/4'' screw
closed length 48.0 cm/19 in
color black
leg cross-section three-faceted
leg sections 4
legs tube diameter 28.24.20.16mm
load capacity 4.5 kg/10 lb
material aluminum
maximum height 154.0 cm/60.5 in
minimum height 48.0 cm
weight 0.4 kg/1 lb

Features:
Lightweight and compact
Simple, easy set up
Four section leg design
Rapid-action flip locks
Closed cell foam grip
Wrist strap

Price: It's still available from Amazon, Adorama and Ace for under us$35 incl shipping.

Build: Very good build quality! After over a year of use and abuse it still works and looks great.

Usage: Not much to it, it's quick and easy to set up and adjust, leg locks are secure and have not ever slipped (even when wet) and the optional spike makes for solid footing.
The smallest, bottom section does flex when under pressure, at an angle, but it's a light weight 'pod and that should be expected. In use it adds a substantial amount of stability even when fully extended and when partially extended it's very stable and flex free.
With the optional, spiked foot the maximum height is @157 cm/61.7 in and with the 486RC2 head the max height is @167 cm/65.8 in. For me, 183 cm/72 in tall, this easily puts the camera near eye level if needed.
The foam grip is a little hard comfort-wise, but has proven durable and functional.
The included strap is useless because of the cheap adjustment buckle. I removed mine with the intention of adding a better one, but haven't needed to yet.
I take this monopod almost everywhere and use it almost everyday. Until recently I guess I was taking it for granted. We recently had a tremendous winter storm which dumped @60 cm of snow in less than 24 hrs. There were trees and utility poles down everywhere. I had to walk @3 km to get home for a few days. I really came to appreciate this 'pod as a trekking pole as well as a sturdy cam support. With the top 2 sections extended it's a good height for me and is strong enough to support me (@172 kg).
Name:  imgp4425x-cres.jpg
Views: 8109
Size:  23.2 KB
This photo shows the 486RC2 head attached, but since the head is heavier than the 'pod I don't usually trek with it on.

Conclusion: I paid over us$60 for this monopod, the optional spiked foot and shipping from B&H (@$40+15+??). I've definitely gotten my money's worth and since it's cheaper now I think it's a great deal.

hth

Last edited by StevenVH; 01-01-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: typo's!
01-03-2010, 05:23 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I have a Dolica Proline, the 50 bucks one from Amazon. I had it since August with my first DSLR, the K2000/K-m and it is a good tripod to start off with. But the thing with it is when you extend it all the way out, you might not want to put too much weight on it, it just feels like the aluminum would bend or the plastic clasps would snap. When all the way out extended, I heard it crackle a bit today when I put some of my body weight against it because I was lazy to stand up straight. It kind of scared me a bit.
01-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #36

Manfrotto 725B digi and Slik Sprint Pro GM w/SBH-100 BH

I've had a chance to use both at the same time and decided to write a small comparison/review.

Manfrotto 725B digi and Slik Sprint Pro GM

Side by side closed:

Side by side fully extended:

Side by side minimal height:

Specifications (Manfrotto / Slik):
closed length, cm.......................52.........48
leg sections...............................4...........4
load capacity, kg........................3.5.........2
maximum height, cm..................166.0.....163.5
maximum height (w/o c.column)...134.0.....133.5
minimum height, cm...................49.0......17.5
weight, kg................................1.54......0.89

Both come with bags.

Manfrotto:
* 1.6 times heavier, which makes it naturally sturdier.
* The build quality isn't bad, but somewhat "Chinese" (as described by my non-photographer friend).
* The ballhead is non-removable and has a built-in QR system. Very convenient, but may cause compatibility problems if you use multiple legs/heads/QR.
* QR plate has a ring on the bottom to connect a wrist strap. Nice.

Slik:
* Very light, which is good for carrying, but makes it more prone to vibrations.
* The center column can be removed, reversed or separated into a longer and a shorter ones.
* The legs can be secured at ~170 degrees, which together with the short center column gives you an excellent 175mm operating height.
* SBH-100 ballhead - doesn't come with a QR system, making it a PITA to connect the camera. Seems weaker than Manfrotto's head and the mounting area is way smaller.
* The legs feature built-in spikes, you just twist the soft caps, no need to unscrew and attach anything.

Price:
about 90-100 USD each

Thoughts:
I don't have any heavy or long lenses, my heaviest stuff would be a K10D with a MF Vivitar 70-150/3.8 and a Metz 48 flash just to add weight Slik sometimes shows problems with this setup in windy conditions. Manfrotto seems sufficient, but it's not a major difference. Slik walks all over it in terms of portability and features.

Conclusion:
Both tripods are fine if you don't use heavy stuff. As a second/backup/travel tripod Slik is better both feature-wise, and also since it's lighter, more compact, and upgradable. It could be enough in terms of weight, it could be not, your mileage may vary. I'm gonna try a QR and another head with Slik and see if it makes things any better.
BTW, some padding on the legs could have been nice on both (Slik have this addressed with the new II version).

Some more photos:

Manfrotto:

Head close-up:

Manfrotto QR plate:

Slik with head removed:

Close-up:

Last edited by Blaze; 01-04-2010 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Engrish
01-31-2010, 12:42 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Cullman Magic 2

I recently developed a need for a portable travel tripod that would be great for airline travel, as well as use on a backpack. I didn't want to have to carry one in a separate bag, nor did I want a mini-tripod that only works on a table. After some searching I came across the Cullman Magic 2 which is made in Germany.

I really like this tripod. It is well made out of aluminum (with some plastic locks) and it is only a little over 3 lbs. It is a full-size tripod.

Here is a picture of it folded up. I love how it folds flat. It can easily fit in a carry-on or suitcase. Also, it can be tied on to a backpack.

Here is what it looks like at its smallest setting (About 18in high):

And at its highest setting (about 4ft 4in):

Here is a closeup of the quick release:

The bottom side of the quick-release so you can see the screw. (I wish it were a folding wing nut, but that is my only gripe.

Here you can see the ball and socket head at an arbitrary angle:

And for you macro tripod shooters:

One of my favorite things about this tripod is that you can take off the center support and one of the legs, and quickly turn it into an adjustable monopod!
Full-height:

Minimum height:

So far I am very happy with it, and I have no trouble trusting it to a DSLR and a telephoto lens.
02-07-2010, 09:02 AM   #38
Inactive Account

Ultra-Pod II

I keep an UltraPod II in my bag. Its good for holding up P&S cameras, and small SLRs with small lenses.

What I really like about it is that I can attach it to a pole or branch. It has an L shape when the legs are closed, and a Velcro strap to attach it to anything about 3-4 inches in diameter.

It weighs 4.2 oz. , 7 inches long, and fits in what used to be the useless pocket on the side of my camera bag.

Some people carry these things in their pockets. When you just dont want to carry a tripod, its better than nothing! 15 bucks from Amazon.

02-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #39
Forum Member

velbon 630 and Acratech Ultimate Ballhead

I received the velbon 630 and Acratech Ultimate Ballhead for xmas. It works great. I've used it with my 500/4.5 lens. 4 lbs for the pod. Pod and camera is about half of what my old pod was alone. I take it hiking all the time, 3-7 mile hikes.
04-22-2010, 09:33 PM   #40

Tripod Review: Induro AP1

I was in the market for a tripod, and i came across the Induro AP1 for a very good price. My decision to buy was sealed after reading stevebrot's Induro AB1 review on this site. Pretty much the AP1 is the same as the AB1, except it has a pan-tilt head instead of ball head.

From manufacturer website:

QuoteQuote:
AP1
The INDURO Adventure AP-Series Tripod Kits are among the most popular series of tripods on the market today. The AP Tripod kit features quick lock legs and a precision, matched 3-Way Panhead with quick release plate that allows one-handed adjustments. Using the latest materials available Induro has created an outstanding tripod outfit for an outstanding price. Includes a deluxe carrying bag with strap.
Height: 26.6" Folded / 61.9 " Extended
Cat #470-031
Specifications:
Maximum Load: 12.8 lbs (5.8 kg)
Max Height (24 Leg Angle) w/Column Extended: 61.9 in (1572 mm)
Max Height (24 Leg Angle) w/Column Retracted: 53.2 in (1352 mm)
Min Height (24 Leg Angle) w/Column Retracted: 25.5 in (648 mm)
Min Height (80 Leg Angle) w/Short Column: 16.8 in (427 mm)
Folded Length: 26.6 in (677 mm)
Number of Leg Sections: 3
Leg Lock Type: Quick-Lock
Independent Leg Spread: Yes, with three position stops
Center Column: Grooved-Rapid
Head Mount Thread Size: 1/4"-20 & 3/8"-16
Weight: 5.1 lbs (2.3 kg)

Initial Impressions:
This is a nice tripod, especially for the money.

As pictured, it comes with a nice carrying case, allen wrench, wrench, and extra camera 1/4" screw.

Everything is pretty much made of some sort of metal, except for the locking levers on the legs.

Speaking of legs,

they have little rubber feet on them, with no spikes. Also, the legs are grooved, so they won't rotate or anything. Extending and retracting the legs is pretty straightforward. They are 3 section legs, so the tripod is pretty long when folded. Legs seem stable enough, but I can see some flexing if a decent amount of force is put onto the tripod (me pushing down or twisting the tripod).

The tripod has a rapid center column, with a great locking mechanism. It's easy to turn, and locks tight. The center column, like the legs is grooved to prevent rotation. The column can be flipped upside down for lower angle shooting.

On top of the column is a screw that's 3/8" on one side and 1/4" on the other. This allowed the mounting heads with either thread. There are three hex set screws to tighten the head on. The included pan-tilt head has a 3/8" thread. (On a side note, the head was not securely attached when I got the tripod. I had to tighten the three hex screws).

I really like the included head. It's motion is fluid, and all three controls are independent. There are little gradations for each axis, and there is a smooth transition from locked to freely moving when loosening the handles. However, with the handles on, the carrying case will not zip up.

The QR plate is pretty nice. It's also metal, with some rubber on the top. The mechanism is nice, in that you have to pinch the two QR levers together to pop out the plate. When the plate is pushed in completely, the lever engages with a nice click, indicating the plate is secure. No wobbling here.

The legs can open up to like 80 degrees. This makes the minimum height, without the column reversed to be about a foot and a half off the ground.

Stability
My heaviest lens is the SMCP F 100-300mm f4.5-5.6. When mounted with my Samsung GX-10, there is virtually no creeping. I can set the tilt, and lock, and when I let go, the camera might bob down a degree.

The tripod legs are fairly steady. However, as I said previously, I can notice some leg flexing when they're fully extended.

Using the 2 second timer, I took shots at 300mm and using my 100mm Macro Takumar that were plenty sharp (unless I misfocused).

Summary
This is a great tripod. Obviously it's not as stiff as some of the composite and CF tripods, but it will suffice for people without super heavy lenses. The street price for this kit is $150, but if you look hard enough you can find it (or it's AP0 sibling) for less than $100.

Pros
Solid Build
Stable
Quality Pan-tilt Head
Good Value
Solid QR plate and mechanism

Cons
Legs flex a bit under heavy loading
Not compact when folded
Need to take off handles to fit into bag

I hope this review was helpful
04-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Slik Sprint Pro II

EDIT: This tripod fell apart after only light use over two months. Though I may have simply got a lemon, the leg mechanisms seem very cheap internally. I would not recommend this tripod or, through association, any in this price range.

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

(I just discovered this highly useful thread so decided to post my review here, updated and condensed.)

Tired of heavier tripods, and needing one that could fit into today's highly restrictive baggage allowances, I purchased a Slik Sprint Pro II at the start of February 2010, from a UK supplier through eBay. Here's the scoop:

* minimum height: 16cm
* maximum without extending centre column: 133cm
* maximum height: 163cm
* leg segments: 4
* folded size: 48cm
* weight: 860g
* rated to bear: 2kg
* price paid: 70 pounds sterling

It is certainly popular enough to have garnered a good number of mentions and even some comprehensive reviews. Steve from Vancouver provided the impetus for a nice thread on the tripod in January 2009. He liked it but decided to return it since "is not a good match for a camera as bulky as the K10D". My experience has been different.

Note that this tripod has improved over the years. Earlier models did not come with a quick-release plate on the head (a serious downer) or foam padding for the legs.

This tripod is available with two different heads. Everyone seems to get the ball head, model SBH-100DQ, but instead I purchased a three-way head. (Otherwise I could have saved ten quid.) One knob loosens to change rotation and pitch. The other controls yaw. They have a solid feel and are easy enough to change on the fly.

In practice this bears the weight of my K20D plus the Vivitar Series 1 105mm f/2.5 (that's 1.4kg) with no problem. Even if I tilt the camera into portrait.

I am totally impressed by the build of this tripod for the price. But please do not compare it with a professional unit costing five to ten times more. Those are a lot stronger, at the cost of bulk and weight.

The centre column is reversible by the simple expedient of unscrewing it and attaching the pieces back in upside down. Great for those macros!

(For scale, I should tell you that the camera in the following shots is the K100D Super. That's because I was using my K20D!)

Slik Sprint Pro II with centre column out

This shows that the column unscrews into three pieces. In this shot the head is still attached to the top piece.

Slik Sprint Pro II with centre column inverted

[/lang]

One can easily put the centre column through the legs upside down. Now the little piece is on top (out of frame) and prevents the column from falling through the centre opening.

Slik Sprint Pro II closer look at legs

The legs lock at different angles and the mechanism is very cool. It took me a moment to understand and then I was blown away by the elegant design solution. Just remember to push the leg in slightly, pop up the tab to the next position, then pull the leg out until it clicks.

The leg clasps are easy to use, unlike the monsters on my Manfrotto monopod.

It even came with a camera bag, though that is made useless by a too-small strap.

Pro:
* Excellent value
* Good build quality for the weight
* Reversible center column
* Included head with quick release plate
* Very light and reasonably compact
* Relatively sturdy for its weight
* Innovative leg angle mechanism
* Foam padded legs
* Bears 1.4kg in any position (tested)

Con:
* No pointy option for feet
* Not the sturdiest tripod (but good for its weight)
* Rather useless bag (but hey, it was free)

Conclusion: The perfect small and lightweight tripod that can still bear a decent SLR and extend to a good height.

Last edited by rparmar; 04-23-2011 at 05:37 AM.
04-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
WOW, I like your Magic 2 Cullman tripod. I have just one reservation. I am tall and need somewhere close to 180 CM or 5'6" height out of a tripod. I am not at all sure of the maximum height of this unit with head and QR bracket. Can you tell me what it's max height could be?? I really, really need one I can backpack or carry in the single large bag I also carry when hiking into a nature spot. Thank You in advance.
05-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Manfrotto #144

Has anybody heard of this tripod. It has been a good performer for me for 15 years but my 800 mm refractive lens seems to be too much for it. I can't buy another tripod now. Any suggestions??
06-22-2010, 07:49 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Hi I am looking for mini tripod travel. I am not sure which best. I seen B and H have one only Sony tripod but i am not sure if it will fit my camera K-7. What do you suggest? We are planning to fly to Hawaii on last week of July. Smile.
07-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #45

Guys,
I have a Pentax 6x7 with 105mm lens.
What tripod can you recommend?

Regards,
Jake