Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2007, 02:03 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
tripod question

Has anybody ever heard of Quantum tripods? I was at a garage sale today and picked up a tripod for $5. Yeah, I know, that's a lot of money to spend on a tripod. On one leg it says Quantum International. I googled it but came up blank. The tilt/pan head (which I will replace) says "Quantum International ST-88 Fluid". If anybody knows anything about Quantum tripods, I'd be grateful.

NaCl(I can always sell it at my landlords spring garage sale)H2O

03-18-2007, 07:54 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Never heard of the brand, but if it is stable why not, personally though i am a bit of a brand snob when it comes to tripods, the only ones that i have used other then Manfrotto's was a Linhoff
03-19-2007, 06:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
Never heard of the brand, but if it is stable why not, personally though i am a bit of a brand snob when it comes to tripods, the only ones that i have used other then Manfrotto's was a Linhoff
It does seem stable, but I don't want to turn my back for a second and hear a "CRASH!" I use a Manfrotto for my "carrying around" tripod, I was hoping I'd get a response saying "man you lucked out! those 'pods are built to withstand a type 3 hurricane!" But I guess it's not to be, I'll see if I can find an inexpensive second hand ball head to put on it. And then watch it carefully.

NaCl(for $5 you can hardly go wrong)H2O
03-19-2007, 03:13 PM   #4

I can't say for sure but it sounds like a name I saw on a dept. store grade tripod, maybe in a friend or family's closet. I really have no hard memory one way or the other, just a faint recollection that could be completely conjured. I know this helps tremendously.

I think you have the right plan about watching it until it earns your trust or until you have your own garage sale.

03-20-2007, 11:18 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like a Sunpak tripod. Does it have fluid bubble levels? I saw one at Best Buy Sunday afternoon that was labeled Quantaray or Quantum i think. They wanted $80. I think $5 is more about right

Seriously though, I believe you have a Sunpak tripod.