Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-08-2023, 08:11 PM   #1

Pentax Digital Spotmeter

Hey guys, new member here 👋🏼

I recently found an old pentax asahi digital spotmeter in an op-shop but doesn't seem to be working. Initially I just thought it'd be a nice item to display but now im considering If i could bring it back to life. I've never had any experience shooting film or using a spot meter but I thought this could be an interesting project. First issue seems to be the battery door is corroded shut so Ill need to figure out a way to get that open but also the lens looks in poor condition. Any tips on how I could bring it back to working order would be much appriciated. Please see photos for reference, thanks 😁

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XS  Photo 
05-09-2023, 02:13 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I would begin by unscrewing the two screws at the bottom and trying to remove the bottom. If the bottom part could be removed this way, I would soak it in vinegar to remove the oxidation which should help with the battery door. I successfully used this approach on an MX where the door was corroded shut. If the screws cannot be loosened, I would try a little droplet of vinegar on them, too, but not too much as to avoid getting vinegar inside the meter and possibly breaking something.

The lens looks like it might have some fungus on it. That can be cleaned by removing the lens and soaking it in hydrogen peroxide for some time. The fungus can be then easily wiped off.
05-09-2023, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
After getting advice from a couple of other members I described dismantling a digital spotmeter in this thread ; hope it helps :

Digital Spotmeter Question - PentaxForums.com
05-09-2023, 07:45 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, Aydin! Welcome to PentaxForums!

I'm moving your inquiry to the Pentax Accessories subforum, where I think it will get even more good suggestions.

05-09-2023, 07:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the help guys, will give all these suggestions a try and update soon.
05-09-2023, 08:07 PM   #6
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one that is a bit older, also non working. I read that it was repairable somewhere, can't remember now, and still haven't budgeted the time to dig an and fix it. If I recall correctly, it is a simple resolder a wire back that gets broken at the solder joint.