Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2023, 09:07 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax K-mount Extension Tubes ->with electrical contacts!<-

Hello all,

I was just casually looking for these on the web. Saw the mention of the Vivitar series, so tried to find some used ones - to no avail - when by coincidence, I happened upon these:

Firstcall Extension Tube Set DG Pentax Set of 3 - Lenses - Firstcall Photographic Ltd

I noticed what appeared to be electrical contacts, got a response back from them, that they thought they were, and immediately ordered. They came in today, and indeed, they are electrical contacts, and indeed, they pass information.

Overall, they perform exactly like I would expect! The Pentax-A lenses I tested it with, in "A" mode allowed me to set the aperture. The F and FA lenses did not bring up a focal length message. The only caveat I've found -- it tries really hard to auto-focus, but it can't. I assume because on these lenses it's a physical autofocus, and with the extension tube, there's just air.

I'm going to put it through its paces with why I bought them, but I have great initial impressions!

Edit: Got a message back they only have one left -- so I guess whoever reads this first, and needs them. I'll keep a lookout for some other provider...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E-M1MarkII  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E-M1MarkII  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E-M1MarkII  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E-M1MarkII  Photo 

Last edited by dionhouston; 05-24-2023 at 09:13 AM.
05-24-2023, 10:42 AM   #2

The one pictured on the website is for Canon EF mount. But it is good news that the tubes delivered are indeed for Pentax. It appears to be Pentax KA mount - with "A" contacts without a screw drive shaft for AF or power zoom contacts. So it would be more accurately labeled "PKA" or "PK/A". The tubes do not have a Ricoh pin which is a plus.

If the tube sizes were 12, 20 and 36mm I would have thought this was a re-release of the Kenko Auto Tubes.

There have been a number of tubes made in China with screw drive shafts and (if I recall correctly) power zoom contacts. The reports on these were generally terrible as the contacts seldom worked.

Good find and thanks for taking one for the team Pentax.
05-24-2023, 10:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for that link. Usually, it's the other way around with focus feed-through but no electrical. Most often, I manually focus when doing macro so would rather have the electrical feed through capability. Checking to see if Firstcall exports............
05-24-2023, 11:10 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The one pictured on the website is for Canon EF mount. But it is good news that the tubes delivered are indeed for Pentax. It appears to be Pentax KA mount - with "A" contacts without a screw drive shaft for AF or power zoom contacts. So it would be more accurately labeled "PKA" or "PK/A". The tubes do not have a Ricoh pin which is a plus.

If the tube sizes were 12, 20 and 36mm I would have thought this was a re-release of the Kenko Auto Tubes.

There have been a number of tubes made in China with screw drive shafts and (if I recall correctly) power zoom contacts. The reports on these were generally terrible as the contacts seldom worked.

Good find and thanks for taking one for the team Pentax.
Yeah, the box actually says "For Pentax-KA" and that they are made in Japan. The only other clue I have of their origin is a body cap that says "KR" so a bit of a mystery, but certainly a good one!

---------- Post added 05-24-23 at 11:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Thanks for that link. Usually, it's the other way around with focus feed-through but no electrical. Most often, I manually focus when doing macro so would rather have the electrical feed through capability. Checking to see if Firstcall exports............
Funny you should say that -- they do . I live in Sicily, and with Brexit I'm a foreign country from them. Ended up paying shipping and customs duties... Yay! I think sending to the US would end up being cheaper (I also have a US address, but it takes forever to get here).

05-24-2023, 11:13 AM   #5

Seems like these tubes have been around for quite awhile. Here was a spotting in 2012. Other posters in the thread thought they are Kenko tubes as well. Perhaps new-old-stock?

PK/A extension tubes? - Page 6 - PentaxForums.com

From Firstcall's website:
https://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/delivery
QuoteQuote:
WORLDWIDE COSTS AND SERVICE

There is no minimum order required for Worldwide Shipments.

Exports outside the UK are tax-free, meaning you will not be charged for UK VAT when placing orders.

Our export terms mean you will have to pay local VAT and maybe some duties before receiving your delivery.

Please email us for more information or to request a quote at sales@firstcall-photographic.co.uk. Worldwide shipping delivery times vary. For example, shipments may take up to 7 days for orders outside of the EU.

Last edited by Not a Number; 05-24-2023 at 11:26 AM.
05-24-2023, 03:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

My Kenco tubes look very similar, but they've got the additional "Ricoh" pin (never a problem, so far!), so eight electrical contacts in all (no a/f screw or power contacts), also they have internal baffles so the silver "rods" for the electrical contacts are hidden … I'd have concerns about those shown in the third picture causing unwanted reflections in some situations.
05-24-2023, 11:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
My Kenco tubes look very similar, but they've got the additional "Ricoh" pin (never a problem, so far!), so eight electrical contacts in all (no a/f screw or power contacts), also they have internal baffles so the silver "rods" for the electrical contacts are hidden … I'd have concerns about those shown in the third picture causing unwanted reflections in some situations.
You know, that is a terrific point, and I suspect eminently 3D-printable... Thanks!

05-24-2023, 11:54 PM   #8
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Have you tried them with KAF4 lens?
05-25-2023, 12:14 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
I have not, unfortunately! I bought the K-1 primarily to use PENTAX-A and -M lenses. I've since bought a a couple of older autofocus (-F and -FA) but I don't yet have any truly modern lenses.

If it uses the same pins, I bet it would work. I'll see if I can find one local to test, though...
05-25-2023, 12:23 AM   #10

There are no power zoom contacts in the tubes so I don't think the aperture will work and there is no aperture ring on KAF4 lenses. Nothing to power the in-lens AF motor as well.
05-25-2023, 12:32 AM   #11
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dionhouston Quote
If it uses the same pins, I bet it would work. I'll see if I can find one local to test, though...
I believe it uses the same pins. At least there is the same amount of them.
05-25-2023, 02:08 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I believe it uses the same pins. At least there is the same amount of them.
I just tried my HD Pentax-DA 18-50mm DC WR RE with one of my Kenco extension tubes on my K-3iii … not only does it not focus (inevitably) but the camera asks for a focal length!
05-25-2023, 03:02 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, well, it sounds like there's very no to very little possibility it'll work with the latest and greatest then... It's odd no one has produced a modern extension tube!

I'm starting to get GAS though -- no modern lenses..........
05-25-2023, 11:47 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dionhouston Quote
You know, that is a terrific point, and I suspect eminently 3D-printable... Thanks!
Printable but with electrical connections??????
05-25-2023, 12:50 PM   #15

Is the bayonet side of these tubes bare metal or black coated/anodized? If coated you need to remove some of the coating for the pins to work as there is no ground/earth otherwise:

See the earlier thread beginning here:
PK/A extension tubes? - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com

and here to see where about to remove the coating:
PK/A extension tubes? - Page 6 - PentaxForums.com