Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-30-2023, 06:17 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Peak Design Clutch - any users out there?

PD has this:

Clutch Camera Hand Strap | Peak Design Official Site

I normally have an old-timey strap (with color matching the camera, of course) plus an Op-Tech wrist strap (also matching color) but I'm starting to lean towards more modern and less flappy accessories. Mostly I use the straps to hang my camera bodies on a hook in my house, and very periodically hang them on my neck when walking from A to B but in general the straps get in the way.

Has anyone used the clutch and been happy? Sad?

05-30-2023, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
PD has this:

Clutch Camera Hand Strap | Peak Design Official Site

I normally have an old-timey strap (with color matching the camera, of course) plus an Op-Tech wrist strap (also matching color) but I'm starting to lean towards more modern and less flappy accessories. Mostly I use the straps to hang my camera bodies on a hook in my house, and very periodically hang them on my neck when walking from A to B but in general the straps get in the way.

Has anyone used the clutch and been happy? Sad?
I use a similar one from Spider Holster, and could not be more pleased. There's one on all my cameras, one of the very first things I do. It enables one-hand shooting with far better stability if needed. Increases the grip on the camera body and the hand-hold security, and generally just a better way of holding the camera than relying on a wrist strap which requires two hands to release.

Last edited by gatorguy; 05-31-2023 at 04:26 AM.
05-30-2023, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I use a Peak Design Clutch on both my K-1 mII cameras, and like gatorguy, adding one was close to the first thing I did after getting the cameras. I carry my cameras in a PD sling bag and when not in the bag, one of the cameras is in my hand with grip secured with the clutch. I've used other similar straps and the PD is the most comfortable, in my opinion.
05-31-2023, 01:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I was tossing up between the Clutch and the much looser Cuff. I went with the latter, and am very happy with it.

05-31-2023, 02:23 AM   #5
pid
Pentaxian

I use the PeakDesign Clutch on all my Bodys. Perfekt and sure grip. It is not cheap, but well made, very compfortable and durable.
05-31-2023, 02:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I use a similar one from Spyder, and could not be more pleased. There's one on all my cameras, one of the very first things I do. It enables one-hand shooting with far better stability if needed. Increases the grip on the camera body and the hand-hold security, and generally just a better way of holding the camera than relying on a wrist strap which requires two hands to release.
This! I have tried many hand-straps and this is the best by far. Also on all my Pentax cameras...
05-31-2023, 03:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I avoid using grips that take up my tripod screw hole, much easier to use one that attaches to the camera strap lugs and uses a quick release clip.

05-31-2023, 04:37 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
I avoid using grips that take up my tripod screw hole, much easier to use one that attaches to the camera strap lugs and uses a quick release clip.
The Spider Holster mounting plate is tripod friendly. I combine that with the handstrap, and carry on the Spider Holster as needed. That "as needed" is every time I want to carry two body and lens combos with me which is more often than not. Yup, gunslinger-style.

The same setup goes on every one of my cameras and keeps me from doing a dance figuring out where I can set one down to use the other or change a lens. I believe Peak Design has a similar system that's also tripod friendly.
05-31-2023, 05:08 AM   #9
Pentaxian

It doesn't take up the tripod screw hole, it attaches to a tripod plate via an Anchor connector which slides into a hole on the corner of the tripod plate, and an Anchor Link on the wrist strap. If you want to detach it, it takes about two seconds. Their tripod plates (Arca compatible) are the best on the market, slim, solid, square, and did I mention slim?

The Clutch, In my opinion, has one flaw, and that is its top part isn't as fast to detach as the bottom part. I use a custom-made (and much cheaper) equivalent with Anchor Links at both ends and a strap of leather between. I've always found it comfortable enough.
05-31-2023, 12:18 PM   #10
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PD Clutch is absolutely great with my K-3 III. Better security and better comfort (weight distribution) than wrist straps when I carry the camera one-handed, and easier/faster to get into the shooting position too, even though I'm a two-handed shooter.

PD Clutch on KP is a different story. My index finger doesn't naturally reach the shutter button which is placed like classic film cameras (i.e. mounted on the top plate, facing up, rather than on a grip, slightly tilted forward). I have to contort/flex my index finger back towards thumb slightly. I get used to it after a while but that doesn't mean it's great. I stopped using Clutch for KP because of that.

There must be a hand strap designed with "classic" shutter button placement in mind, it's not just KP after all, Fuji cameras are similar, but I haven't found one.

Peak Design released a new product called Micro Clutch on kickstarter, probably just for this very reason. Index finger isn't constrained by the strap and is positioned slightly higher (compared with the Clutch), both of which should help the access to the shutter button, it seems.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/peak-design/micro-clutch-hand-strap-for...=peak%20design

It's good that they recognize that the Clutch design is not great for some cameras and designed a new product. However, I found the idea of a bottom plate that covers the battery door very unattractive. Even if it's super easy to remove the plate as they say, if I need a tool to do it, that's already inconvenient. And KP battery cannot be charged inside the camera.

Last edited by kwb; 05-31-2023 at 12:43 PM.
05-31-2023, 12:40 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the Clutch on my K-1 with the battery grip, and K-3 with battery grip. Works well. One word of caution is that if you have small hands, you won't be able to tighten it to actually feel secure. For my purposes it works fine. For my wife and her KP, it does not work for her, so she does not use it.
05-31-2023, 03:28 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It doesn't take up the tripod screw hole
Incorrect, it still has a plate that screws into the camera tripod hole, which is what I stated avoiding....Please give me credit for knowing what I am stating.

I often use an L bracket that fits my tripod heads or I can attach any of my non Arca tripod mounting plates to that. With my Current hand strap I dont have to be concerned with that and it detaches via a quick disconnect as I mentioned.
06-01-2023, 05:03 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Incorrect, it still has a plate that screws into the camera tripod hole, which is what I stated avoiding
I understood that you meant like BlackRapid does it, with an attachment knob taking up the tripod mount. A tripod plate might not work for you, but it's still different.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 06-02-2023 at 05:49 AM.