Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Transcend 8GB microSDHC Card - Class 6

FREE SHIPPING
*Some restrictions apply. Click here for details.
List Price: See Details $40.00
You Save: (48%) $19.01

Our Price: $20.99
Shipping: FREE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy.com Total Price: $20.99

Transcend 8GB microSDHC Card - Class 6 - TS8GUSDHC6 - Buy.com

01-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Here's a better deal IMHO:

Newegg.com - Transcend 16GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card Model TS16GSDHC6 - Flash Memory

This is a Transcend 16GB SDHC Class 6, and I have bought two of them from Newegg with no problems! At $30.98 (including shipping) your getting twice the storage at only half again the price.
01-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'd never get a 16gb card, even getting my 8gb was questionable. The possibility of almost 1500 pictures all being wiped at one due to hardware failure just scares me.

Newegg.com - Transcend 4GB Secure Digital high-Capacity(SDHC) Class 6 Flash card Model TS4GSDHC6 - Flash Memory

and this, same card as OP

Newegg.com - Transcend 8GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card Model TS8GSDHC6 - Flash Memory
01-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
ITW

How fast is class 6 read/write?

01-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ITW Quote
How fast is class 6 read/write?
6mb/sec (40x)
01-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
ITW

Isnt that slow for an 10megapixels Dslr?
01-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not a bad deal, but Best Buy this week is selling the SanDisk Ultra II 8GB SDHC card for $24.99 with no rebates or anything involved. I'd take SanDisk and higher performance over Transcend personally. Shooting RAW+S with my 1Ds2 I can get almost 400 shots on it which covers me pretty well. (And in case you're curious, shooting RAW+S means it uses the (S)mall JPEG for the LCD image rather than a really dinky one so you can actually get useful focus checking out of it -- Pentax cameras do this a little better!)

01-06-2009, 08:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ITW Quote
Isnt that slow for an 10megapixels Dslr?
Yes it is -- But as Class 6 spec = "at least 6MB/sec", there are faster Class 6 cards. There was a poster on another forum who tested the write speed of a K10 and it was a bit over 16MB/sec. With my K20, a 4 GB Sandisk Class 6 Extreme III 20MB/sec is more than twice as fast as a 4 GB Transcend Class 6 SDHC which has been tested at about 7MB/sec, so my best guess is that the K10 and K20 write at similar speeds. Another poster in still another forum spoke to a tech guy at Pentax and was essentially told that he'd be wasting his money seeking out a 30MB/sec Extreme III because his camera would perform essentially the same as with a 20 MB/sec card.

This may sound trivial, but write speeds will effect number of shots at max continuous speed and the time that it takes before a shot can be displayed on review. This must be important to some people, since so many seem to be so disappointed in the FPS rate of Pentax cameras. . .but few seem to be interested in this performance aspect of their cameras.

Scott
01-07-2009, 03:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

the K20D is likely to take 50% longer to write/process a picture as it has the same processing hardware as the K10D but the images are 14.6 Mp versus 10 Mp
01-07-2009, 06:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
I'd never get a 16gb card, even getting my 8gb was questionable. The possibility of almost 1500 pictures all being wiped at one due to hardware failure just scares me.
Do you still use a 10 MB hard drive too? Any form of storage is prone to failure - if you don't back it up, shame on you. That's why I dump my card(s) to two hard drives - every day I use them. The only SD card I've ever had problems with was bad out of the box.
01-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Do you still use a 10 MB hard drive too? Any form of storage is prone to failure - if you don't back it up, shame on you. That's why I dump my card(s) to two hard drives - every day I use them. The only SD card I've ever had problems with was bad out of the box.
The 10mb hard drive has no relevance to his portable storage discussion.
When exactly am I supposed to back it up? When I'm out shooting somewhere and the card fails, I'm SOL.
I'm getting very used to saying, to each his own on, this forum...
01-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I agree. When I first saw those Transcend 8GB cards drop to $30 I went and got 2 of them. Since then I've given one away and I'm thinking about getting a 4GB to replace the other. Having 1,000 pictures on one card and the chance at losing them all before you have a chance to back them up is very risky.

I do use the 8GB when I go on vacation. But if I ever shoot another wedding, I'll be using 4GB cards and switching them out. If you have back-up on site it might be a different story, but I don't have that luxury...not yet anyway.
01-07-2009, 02:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Argumentably, if you buy a 16GB SD card, and only use that, then you only have one point of failure - it may be extenuated from extended use of the device. But if you buy multiple 4GB SD Cards, then you have multiple devices that can fail, but may have a lower chance of occurring due to less use per device...

So what chance does everyone feel safe in taking? heh
01-07-2009, 03:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

When exactly am I supposed to back it up? When I'm out shooting somewhere and the card fails, I'm SOL.
Maybe this would ease your fears:

Digital Foci | Photo Safe II 80GB Stand-Alone Data | P19-080
01-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Some pro cameras have dual card slots, but then you're generally paying twice the amount for cards..