Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2009, 12:53 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
slow sd card

Although my photography has not advanced much I have advanced to RAW. However I find this reads very slowly and I am often missing the next shot due to waiting for my card to read. Are there any cards that will read faster. I am using a
ist D and my current card is a 'scandisk ultra 11 2 gb'
thanks, trish

01-07-2009, 02:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It certainly does take a bit longer shooting RAW. If you find yourself in a situation where you want to fire off several shots it might be better to flick over to jpeg. (RAW isn't necessarily the best format to use for every occasion). There are faster cards, though I've never used one. They're quite a bit more expensive, but they might suit you if you're doing a lot of rapid-fire shooting. Your local camera or computer shop should have some.
01-07-2009, 05:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Trish, some of your trouble may be due to the ist D. I've never owned the camera but I do remember people complaining about the write speed. In any event try a San Disk Extreme III 2GB, it is one of the faster ones out there. There are faster cards but they cost a premium, the Extreme III costs a bit more but not much.

NaCl(the ist D is a great camera but fast it is not)H2O
01-07-2009, 06:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've got the istD, and in burst mode, I can only get off 5 shots before it stops to write to the memory card. I've got 2 different cards, and it's the same. I'm 95% sure it's a limitation of the camera. I did do some tests, and it does write the JPG a lot faster to the card then the RAW files, but still only 5 shots at a time. As a note, I do have the latest firmware installed.

01-07-2009, 06:38 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by trishytee Quote
Although my photography has not advanced much I have advanced to RAW. However I find this reads very slowly and I am often missing the next shot due to waiting for my card to read. Are there any cards that will read faster. I am using a
ist D and my current card is a 'scandisk ultra 11 2 gb'
thanks, trish
There is no point in using anything faster than a plain jane cheap Sandisk blue card. The camera itself is the problem. It won't write faster than what a slow card can take.
If you want the istD to go a bit faster, shoot jpegs at one size lower than full, and one quality step down from best quality.
01-07-2009, 07:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I do have the istD and I can confirm that write speed (slow) is in the camera, not the memory card. I recently purchased a new fast card (2gb) for my wife so she could use my istD and to my surprise, it is not faster than my old cards.

As others said here. If you want your istD to be able to shoot many pics fast, then stick to jpgs. No need to reduce file size or image quality. I find it pretty acceptable using full size and 3 star settings for jpgs.