Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
Forum Member

SDXC: The Next SD card standard

Capacities up to 2TB and speeds starting at 104 MB/s this year, going up to 300 MB/s in the future. I guess we can safely say the format is alive and well.

Electronista | SDXC card format holds 2TB data

While currently the top capacity of SD cards is not an issue, I think SDXC can be great for upcoming camera models that would like to achieve sustained continuous shooting at high frame rates.

01-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Keeping in mind that its a theoretical 2TBs - which interestingly enough is the same as current SDHC cards, its just that the standard limits the max capacity to 32gb (for some reason).

but yea, i'm all happy for the introduction of SDXC cards - hopefully it'll drive the price of SDHC cards even lower.
01-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

With price comes sales,just wait till the chinese copy this format wild times ahead

cheers
01-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
Banned

I have a 500GB SATA HDD with 1/4th the storage capacity of a card the size of a coin.... the solid state HD's better start catching up. if I can have 2Tb on an SD card I should be able to have an utterly ridiculous amount on a proper sized hard drive no?

01-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
Gus
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I have a 500GB SATA HDD with 1/4th the storage capacity of a card the size of a coin.... the solid state HD's better start catching up. if I can have 2Tb on an SD card I should be able to have an utterly ridiculous amount on a proper sized hard drive no?
It's as Vylen put it, it's just the theoretical limit for the SDXC specification, not what's currently possible with today's flash memory chips.

And while 2TB sounds impressive on SD format, I'm betting we could easily see the limits in a few years. Remember when we thought 32GB SDHCs were enough three years ago?

Edit: I'd say the ceiling lift on capacity limits is welcome, but what's most exciting about it right now is the dramatic speed increase (benefiting from the use of NAND flash chips, same tech used in SSD drives).
01-08-2009, 06:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

i'm sure there is a logical reason...but if a card that small can hold 2 TB....why do i keep banging my knee into this huge desktop computer harddrive beneath my desk???
01-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Panasonic announced an as yet unavailable 64GB SDXC card at CES. While mildly interested in more capacity the speed is what really appears to be the benefit to camera users. Sometimes its hard to tell if a camera is processor bound or storage access speed bound. This could potentially eliminate the access speed issue.

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prModelDetail?storeId=11...72009021702796

01-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I doubt it will be back-ward compatible though - meaning devices that read SD and SDHC probably won't be able to use it.

It would be neat to have 4 of these at 2TB set up in a raid array though. Talk about FAST!
01-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #9
Gus
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I doubt it will be back-ward compatible though - meaning devices that read SD and SDHC probably won't be able to use it.
Unfortunately, it looks like you're right:
"The bad news is that unlike the transition from SD to SDHC, which sometimes only required a firmware update, requires supporting chipsets. So don’t expect to simply firmware upgrade your current player for this new format."

Next Generation SDxc Details
01-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I expected that - for the fast data transfer speeds, the hardware has to actually support it.