Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tripod Review: Induro AB1

Induro AB1 Adventure Series Tripod

The Induro AB1 is a member of Induro's Adventure series of tripod kits (legs + head). The design goals were to provide a compact and light package appropriate for travel or outdoor activities. The AB1 is the mid-size version and is intended for use with 35mm or digital SLR cameras to a maximum load of 12.8 lbs.

Specifications:
  • Maximum Load 12.8 lbs (5.8 kg)
  • Weight 3.4 lbs (1.6 kg) including head
  • Maximum Height/column extended 62" (158 cm)
  • Maximum Height/column retracted 52.5" (136 cm)
  • Minimum Height/short column 18.7" (4.8 cm)
  • Folded Length 26.2" (67 cm) with head and QR plate attached
  • Folded Length 22.5" (57 cm) with head removed
  • Number of Sections 3

Features:
  • Lever-type leg locks
  • Independant leg angle (3 stops)
  • Grooved center column
  • Reinforced leg sections
  • Aluminum/Magnesium construction
  • Hook on center column for additional weight
  • Reversable center column
  • Single-lever ball head with QR camera plate (Induro specific)
  • Built-in bubble levels on both legs and QR mount
  • 2 year (+3 with online registration) warranty

Included:
  • Induro AT-113 Tripod legs
  • Induro BH-1 Ballhead w/QR plate
  • Cloth case
  • Tool kit

Optional:
  • Short column

Price Paid:
$159 USD (shipping included, Adorama 12/20/1008)

Similar Products:
Slik Pro 500DX
Benro A-268M8
Bogen / Manfrotto 190XPROB/486RC2

Photos:

Partially Extended
View Picture EXIF
Name:  CRW_4632.jpg
Views: 6466
Size:  67.1 KB

Platform Detail
View Picture EXIF
Name:  CRW_4634.jpg
Views: 6994
Size:  64.7 KB

Impressions:
The Induro AB1 was bought for my globe-trotting, 20-something daughter. Major considerations in the purchase were size and weight appropriate for travel as well as adequate stability for her K10D and zoom lens. Right out of the box, the AB1 is an impressive unit with a black satin finish on all metal parts. The general build quality is very good to excellent though attention to detail is lacking in some areas. The included case is well-made and very smart looking. The AB1 is impressively light for its size and stable for its weight. Unfortunately, Induro does not offer a 4-section version with a little shorter overall length. The AB1 is just a little long for most day packs. Normally, I am a real fan of high value for the money. The Induro AB1 provides value appropriate for its price, but not a whole lot more. On the other hand, there are very few products of this quality in this weight range at this price point or below.

Edit: See comment number 10 below for information regarding a potential issue with the head mount platform.

Legs
The legs are well-built and adequately rigid and vibration resistent even at maximum extension. While I was not able to evaluate the AB-1 at its stated capacity of 12.8 lbs, it is plenty sturdy when mated to the K10D with moderate size/weight zoom lens. The leg hardware is metal with the exception of the flip-type leg locks. Those are made of high-quality plastic. The feet are made from a rubber-like material and lack provision for metal spikes. The leg sections extend and retract smoothly without binding. The AB-1 is capable of low-level work when equipped with the short center column. Unfortunately, that column is an optional accessory for an additional $30 USD.

The legs are unique within the Induro lineup. The AT-113 legs offers additional capacity over the A113 at about the same or less weight. Extended height is similar to the A213. Some of the weight savings may be due to using the flip-type leg locks, which are simpler and lighter than the twist locks found on the Induro A-series products.

Head
The BH-1 head is advertised as being matched to the AB1 legs. It is extremely light due to high-quality resin construction of both the body and the ball. The head and camera platform are beefy enough to provide adequate stability for the K10D though I have my doubts that the plastic materials are sufficiently rigid to support a heavier unit. Edit: The head body and ball are actually VERY light metal (Mg++ ?). They just felt like plastic when handled in a warm room. As such, my comment regarding rigidity may be off-base...) End Edit The feel of the head in use is similar to the lower-priced ball heads offered by many manufacturers...not bad, but not particularly good. Ball movement is smooth enough and locks securely in all positions. The single-action ball lock is easy to use, though it is not easy to do a "partial" release of the lock to allow horizontal pan. The main failing of the head is the lock mechanism for the QR clamp. The two-lever lock is clumsy to use, though once fully engaged, it holds the camera securely. The ballhead is easily replaceable should the owner wish a future upgrade.

Executive Summary:
The Induro AB1 is a light, relatively compact, well-made, and relatively sturdy tripod suitable for travel and outdoor activities where size and weight are a major consideration. It is stable with loads up to a dSLR with zoom lens, though probably not much above. The head, though serviceable and adequate to the task, is similar to low-end single-action heads from other manufacturers.

Pro
  • Light weight
  • Rigidity
  • Professional features
  • Above average build
  • Long warranty period

Con
  • No foot spikes
  • Ballhead QR levers
  • Folded length is a little long for easy packing
  • Short column not included

Recommended:
Yes, highly recommended for travel and outdoor activities

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-09-2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Error regarding ball head materials
01-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You mention the "Benro A-268M8"

How close are the specs? You will find a number of cases where there are Induro models that match Benro models exactly spec-wise - that's because as far as I can tell they are exactly the same unit, just different brands and model numbers. I think the Adorama Flashpoints may also be the same brand/manufacturer. Some of Amvona's units are also rebadged Induro/Benro units, although the quality reputation of the Amvonas seems to indicate that Induro/Benro factory rejects that fail QC are sold as Amvona units.
01-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
You mention the "Benro A-268M8"

How close are the specs? You will find a number of cases where there are Induro models that match Benro models exactly spec-wise - that's because as far as I can tell they are exactly the same unit, just different brands and model numbers. I think the Adorama Flashpoints may also be the same brand/manufacturer. Some of Amvona's units are also rebadged Induro/Benro units, although the quality reputation of the Amvonas seems to indicate that Induro/Benro factory rejects that fail QC are sold as Amvona units.
The Benro A-268M8 is quite different than the Induro AB1. They are not the same unit:
  • Benro is about $20 more
  • Benro legs reverse for compact packing
  • Benro has twist-type leg locks
  • Benro has 4 section legs
  • Benro has shorter folded length

The Benro may also be somewhat heavier for the kit. The specs at B&H seem to be for the legs only. I might have bought the Benro for my daughter except that I was already over-budget. If she wants something different, she can exchange it and foot the price difference from her own wallet.

Steve
01-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Did you consider the Induro AB0? After your Slik Sprint Pro review, I'm looking into buying Induro instead. Twice the price, but seems worth it. However, I'd much rather have the folded length of the AB0 (20.5 in) compared to the AB1.

01-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
Did you consider the Induro AB0? After your Slik Sprint Pro review, I'm looking into buying Induro instead. Twice the price, but seems worth it. However, I'd much rather have the folded length of the AB0 (20.5 in) compared to the AB1.
Yes...twice the price of the Slik! The AB0 is also 8" shorter fully extended than the Slik and 6" shorter than the AB1.

Steve
01-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The fully extended length doesn't really bother me, as I don't extend very far myself
But was there a specific reason you chose the AB1 over the AB0?
01-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
The fully extended length doesn't really bother me, as I don't extend very far myself
Capacity and height. I wanted to be sure that it was sturdy enough since I had already had to send back one tripod that was too lightweight.

Steve

01-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
One other thing besides capacity and height...The QR plate size for the AB0 is 2" as opposed to 3" for the AB1. The plate area can make a huge difference in how secure the camera is to the head.

Steve
01-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Correction regarding ball head material

I was mistaken regarding the ball head material. I was handling the tripod in a warm room and the materials did indeed feel like a high-density resin. This evening I came home to a cold house and touched the head. Surprise! There was the unmistakable feel of cold metal. I made a few discrete scratches and took off the plug from the bottom of the hollow ball and am able to confirm that the construction of both the head body and ball is metal--probably magnesium, though I am not going to hold it up to a flame to confirm.

I have edited the review to reflect this recent information.

Steve

(Much higher opinion of the head)
01-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Another note:

While fiddling with the head this evening I managed to accidentally loosen the head mount platform from the end of the center column when attempting to remove the head. The whole business literally fell apart in my hands. The mounting bolt for the head is a pass-through affair and does double duty as the mounting bold for the head mount platform and the head itself.

This is a common design, but usually the bolt is captive on the platform in some way to avoid loosening when a head is tightened down. On the AB1, the bolt is tightened onto the platform with a nut from above. The nut has no washer or lock-washer. When a head is mounted, the action lifts the nut off its seat and allows the platform to unscrew from the center column. Not good. I applied a little "Loktite" (the temporary type) until I can get some sort of lock washer. I will also send a word to Induro's U.S. distributors alerting them to the problem.

As a precaution, the owner should tighten the head mount platform firmly against the end of the center column with the supplied wrench. The owner should also take care to not over-tighten the head onto the tripod. This is a good idea in general. The mount platform has three small set screws that may be extended up against the head base to more properly secure the head without over-tightening.

Steve
01-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The Benro A-268M8 is quite different than the Induro AB1. They are not the same unit:
  • Benro is about $20 more
  • Benro legs reverse for compact packing
  • Benro has twist-type leg locks
  • Benro has 4 section legs
  • Benro has shorter folded length

The Benro may also be somewhat heavier for the kit. The specs at B&H seem to be for the legs only. I might have bought the Benro for my daughter except that I was already over-budget. If she wants something different, she can exchange it and foot the price difference from her own wallet.

Steve
Yeah, I looked closer.

After re-looking at Induro vs. Benro, I believe it is the Induro A (not AB) and C series that match members of Benro's line.

The Induro product codes are pretty easy to decipher, Benro's are a bit more confusing.

A vs C - Aluminum vs. CF (same for Benro)
First digit - Weight class (0-4) (these match Benro's weight classes, also the first numeric digit in their models)
Second digit - Always seems to be 1 (Benro is different here)
Third digit - Number of leg sections (3 or 4, Benro is different here also.)

Benro's x-y58n6 series seem to match Induro's x-y14 4-section leg series. I don't know which Benro series matches Induro's x-y13 series (3-section)

e.g. Benro C-158n6 matches Induro's C-114 in every spec category (except 0.1 pound weight difference that I'm guessing is rounding) and looks identical.

Benro models that replace the 5 with a 6 as the middle digit appear to have a new leg folding mechanism. 9 instead of 8 as the third digit seems to indicate 5-section legs. 7 instead of 8 for the third digit seems to indicate 3-section legs - so it appears the 3rd digit is (# of leg sections + 4).

Induro's AB series don't have matching Benro models, but may have matching Amvona models.