Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2023, 11:01 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
SDHC vs SDXC on K7

I was looking at buying a new SD card and have read some of the more recent threads on memory cards and the SD guide.

I don't want to re-open discussion on brands/specs etc.

This is specific to the K7 (I think) and the disclaimer on the firmware update allowing SDXC "*Transfer rate is not compatible with UHS speed class."
I take that just to be Pentax saying the K7 is a non-UHS host, and won't reach UHS speeds, not that something bad happens to the transfer rate if I use SDXC card?
I currently use SDHC UHS-1 cards and thought I would ask just in case.

32GB or 64GB will make little difference to me, cost difference is minimal. I would buy the larger capacity card if there's no issue.

It seems an odd disclaimer, unless SDXC marketing at the time was completely tied to UHS?

11-29-2023, 11:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SDXC UHS-1 will work fine, just not any faster than the K-7 will allow.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 11-29-2023 at 08:07 PM.
11-29-2023, 11:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If this doesn't garner help here, try the Troubleshooting and Beginner Help forum.

No K-7 expert at all here and have only ever even seen 1. That said, I think the issue was about 10 or more years ago a firmware update came out allowing the K-7 to use modern cards. Have you done that update?
11-29-2023, 12:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a K-7 and you need the camera firmware updated to the latest version. Then SDXC cards will work. Use a UHS card to upload the firmware patch to the camera if it isnít already updated.

Read this thread for more information.

Memory card error - PentaxForums.com

11-29-2023, 12:29 PM   #5

SDXC and UHS were introduced at the same time. If the hardware bus doesn't support UHS, you can't get UHS speeds. SDXC supports the older bus.

So the only downside with buying a UHS-1 card is you are paying for the speed that won't be realized on the K-7. However that doesn't prevent you from using the card on other hardware (say upgrading your K-7) that does support UHS-1 speeds.
11-29-2023, 02:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all clear and as I guessed it would be, but not with total confidence. Firmware is latest so when the new card arrives it should just work.
11-30-2023, 03:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by p706 Quote
I was looking at buying a new SD card and have read some of the more recent threads on memory cards and the SD guide.
Which SD guide do are you talking about?
Would be interesting to have a link to the informations.

QuoteOriginally posted by p706 Quote
I take that just to be Pentax saying the K7 is a non-UHS host, and won't reach UHS speeds, not that something bad happens to the transfer rate if I use SDXC card?
It seems an odd disclaimer, unless SDXC marketing at the time was completely tied to UHS?
SDXC ist just the specification to have higher capacities than the 32GB limit of SDHC.
So you don't have to worry about anything when using SDXC cards in your K-7.

11-30-2023, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Which SD guide do are you talking about?
Would be interesting to have a link to the informations.

SDXC ist just the specification to have higher capacities than the 32GB limit of SDHC.
So you don't have to worry about anything when using SDXC cards in your K-7.
The forum guide Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com