Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
Inactive Account

SMC Takumar on K200D CANNOT focus!!!

[PROBLEM SOLVED]
Hi, I recently bought a third-party M42 to K mount adapter, when I install it and my Takumar 200/4 on my K200D, it does not have focus indicator!! I am sure there is something wrong with this, could anyone help me please?

Do I need to change some settings on my camera? or there is a certain way to install the adapter or the lens.

Any help will be great appreciated.

Last edited by yliu; 11-15-2010 at 06:51 PM.
01-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some third party adaptors do not sit flush with the camera's mount and are essentially useless.

You need the original, or one like it:

Genuine Pentax Screwmount Lens Adapter

Regarding camera settings, you just have to set it to manual focus, turn the focus ring on the lens until the image in the viewfinder is sharp, and bingo!
01-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for the post. Do you know where can I buy those original adapters? I have searched on eBay, but there are none ....
01-08-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

You may have to be patient for one to become available. I have purchased mine from keh.com. Pentax' on-line store used to have them but I don't see them right now.

01-08-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by yliu Quote
Thanks a lot for the post. Do you know where can I buy those original adapters? I have searched on eBay, but there are none ....
I just checked KEH.COM, they have the adapters in stock, new as well as used.

KEH Camera: Pentax Manual Focus - Miscellaneous - ADAPTER SCREW MOUNT TO K-MOUNT=
01-08-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you very much Ole.
Just one last thing, is it true that all pentax original adapter does not need a dismounting tool? Thank you very much.

Last edited by yliu; 01-08-2009 at 08:49 PM.
01-09-2009, 06:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi, I recently bought a third-party M42 to K mount adapter, when I install it and my Takumar 200/4 on my K200D, it does not have focus indicator!! I am sure there is something wrong with this, could anyone help me please?

Do I need to change some settings on my camera? or there is a certain way to install the adapter or the lens.

Any help will be great appreciated.
The brand of adapter has nothing to do with the focus indicator. You need to go into your custom menu and activate "FI with S lens used" (Focus Indicator with Screwmount lens). Then it will work just fine.

01-09-2009, 07:04 AM   #8
Banned

Thank you very much Ole.
Just one last thing, is it true that all pentax original adapter does not need a dismounting tool? Thank you very much.

yes it is true. you can remove it with your finger quite quickly and easily. you can get the genuine one from the pentax USA webstore under the lenses section.

and as mike stated in the post above me, the adapter has nothing to do with focus confirmation. you need to set the camera to allow focus indication with screwmount lenses.
01-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you very much for the post.
But Mike Cash, I couldn't find the 'Focus Indicator with Screwmount lens' from my K200D custom setting, is the setting different from your camera?
01-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #10
Banned

Thank you very much for the post.
But Mike Cash, I couldn't find the 'Focus Indicator with Screwmount lens' from my K200D custom setting, is the setting different from your camera?
my K110D was at hand so I grabbed it real quick. in the 'custom setting' menu it should be 'FI with S lens used' and will be set at '1' highlighted in green which indicates 'unavailable'. press the right arrow on the control pad to enter the settings and select '2' for available. should be the same for the K200D.
01-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi guys, thanks so much for help.
I checked 3 times on my K200D, it really doesn't have the setting 'FI with S lens used' in 'Custom Setting'.....................
01-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
I just checked KEH.COM, they have the adapters in stock, new as well as used.

KEH Camera: Pentax Manual Focus - Miscellaneous - ADAPTER SCREW MOUNT TO K-MOUNT=
The can be ordered direct from Pentax as well. That is how I got mine. PentaxWebstore Mount Adapter B (35mm Screwmount to Bayonet)

Edit: It is one of the few things the online Pentax store is competitive on.

Last edited by Blue; 01-09-2009 at 09:15 PM.
01-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Blue, thanks for post.
Could you check if your K200D has the setting "FI with S lens used" in "Customer Setting" manul? Thank you.
01-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Hi Blue, thanks for post.
Could you check if your K200D has the setting "FI with S lens used" in "Customer Setting" manul? Thank you.
I will check and post what I find.

Edit: I do not see it in the menu

Last edited by Blue; 01-09-2009 at 09:31 PM.
01-09-2009, 09:33 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I will check and post what I find.

Edit: I do not see it in the menu
Thanks a lot.