Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2023, 05:12 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Tbilisi, Georgia
Posts: 1,197
Just bought a humidity tester

Forgive me guys but I bought this $25 piece of .... on the way

MESTEK Humidity Tester


There are other models worth $2,000 but I Iiked this one more

12-01-2023, 06:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian
rpjallan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 979
Let us know how it goes...
12-01-2023, 08:46 AM   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter
FozzFoster's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Alberta
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,790
to test the place where you store your lenses?
12-01-2023, 09:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,334
Looks like a great tool for photographers who are interested in storing film or lenses. There's no reason humidity sensors should cost so much unless they are industrial quality and need very high accuracy. This is the type of tool most people need and is plenty accurate for many uses. The device referred to in the listing ("from SWITZERLAND") is called a "humicap" which is a special type capacitor affected by relative humidity. Unfortunately, it is also affected by temperature, hence the need to measure temperature along with the humidity where it will be used to compensate the humidity measurement to its correct value. That serves as a benefit to the user who can also obtain a temperature reading with the device.

Great tip (when you get it tell us what the screwdriver is for)!

12-01-2023, 09:28 AM   #5
Lev
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Tbilisi, Georgia
Posts: 1,197
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
to test the place where you store your lenses?
Absolutely, not sure how to calibrate it, though.
12-01-2023, 09:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 62
That is an interesting gadget. Is this for testing the humidity on and around the lens or the room in general? Would a room de-humidifier - the compressor type - work as well since they come with a humidity reading sensor?
12-01-2023, 10:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 624
Nice looking screwdriver. Did they mention the accuracy point/range?

12-01-2023, 11:12 AM   #8
Lev
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Tbilisi, Georgia
Posts: 1,197
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter G Quote
That is an interesting gadget. Is this for testing the humidity on and around the lens or the room in general? Would a room de-humidifier - the compressor type - work as well since they come with a humidity reading sensor?
In the room. but which compressor are you talking about?
Many times been in situations where I really wanted to know moisture level, especially when I had to store my equipment in places I didn't know well. Very handy if this thing will work well. I'll post some tests here.

---------- Post added 12-01-23 at 22:17 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnMc Quote
Nice looking screwdriver. Did they mention the accuracy point/range?
hahahaha

yes, because most of the people who use these type of meters complain that the readings aren't accurate, and mostly referring to -5 to +5 variations. Is this a lot - I don't really know, must investigate farther. But, anyway, at least I'll see something.

---------- Post added 12-01-23 at 22:26 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Looks like a great tool for photographers who are interested in storing film or lenses. There's no reason humidity sensors should cost so much unless they are industrial quality and need very high accuracy. This is the type of tool most people need and is plenty accurate for many uses. The device referred to in the listing ("from SWITZERLAND") is called a "humicap" which is a special type capacitor affected by relative humidity. Unfortunately, it is also affected by temperature, hence the need to measure temperature along with the humidity where it will be used to compensate the humidity measurement to its correct value. That serves as a benefit to the user who can also obtain a temperature reading with the device.

Great tip (when you get it tell us what the screwdriver is for)!
loooooool, screwdriver is the main thing here! I bought that and got this meter as a bonus!
12-01-2023, 11:29 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 62
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
In the room. but which compressor are you talking about?
Many times been in situations where I really wanted to know moisture level, especially when I had to store my equipment in places I didn't know well. Very handy if this thing will work well. I'll post some tests here.

---------- Post added 12-01-23 at 22:17 ----------



hahahaha

yes, because most of the people who use these type of meters complain that the readings aren't accurate, and mostly referring to -5 to +5 variations. Is this a lot - I don't really know, must investigate farther. But, anyway, at least I'll see something.

---------- Post added 12-01-23 at 22:26 ----------



loooooool, screwdriver is the main thing here! I bought that and got this meter as a bonus!
I am refering to a de-humidifier that works on 120 volts. It takes moisture out of the air and can be set to a specific humidity level. The problem with just testing is if humidity is high, you need a de-humidifier to bring it down. I use one in the house and RV. On the west coast when it rains in the winter the humidity can stay high for weeks. I need to get humidity below 60% or so to inhibit mold. By the way, it bought a digital thermometer and humidity reader (Honeywell) for about $25 at Home Depot, which I use to monitor the RV inside. Works great. Your device looks like it will do the same function.
12-01-2023, 11:36 AM   #10
Lev
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Tbilisi, Georgia
Posts: 1,197
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Looks like a great tool for photographers who are interested in storing film or lenses. There's no reason humidity sensors should cost so much unless they are industrial quality and need very high accuracy. This is the type of tool most people need and is plenty accurate for many uses. The device referred to in the listing ("from SWITZERLAND") is called a "humicap" which is a special type capacitor affected by relative humidity. Unfortunately, it is also affected by temperature, hence the need to measure temperature along with the humidity where it will be used to compensate the humidity measurement to its correct value. That serves as a benefit to the user who can also obtain a temperature reading with the device.

Great tip (when you get it tell us what the screwdriver is for)!
loooooool, screwdriver is the main thing here! I bought that and got this meter as a bonus!

Very interesting input, thanks!! yes, always been curious what makes them so expensive, and wanted to know if a low cost meter can measure if not 100% accurate, at least to some point which nicely will indicate that it's time to get the hell away from there asap.

---------- Post added 12-01-23 at 22:51 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter G Quote
I am refering to a de-humidifier that works on 120 volts. It takes moisture out of the air and can be set to a specific humidity level. The problem with just testing is if humidity is high, you need a de-humidifier to bring it down. I use one in the house and RV. On the west coast when it rains in the winter the humidity can stay high for weeks. I need to get humidity below 60% or so to inhibit mold. By the way, it bought a digital thermometer and humidity reader (Honeywell) for about $25 at Home Depot, which I use to monitor the RV inside. Works great. Your device looks like it will do the same function.
interesting. Reading all this remind me that a low humidity may be also dangerous. It's very hot here in summer time and cold in winter. Can it be used to kinda balance? One thing is clear to me, more I add new lenses more I think to get some dry cab.
12-02-2023, 08:23 AM   #11
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter
FozzFoster's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Alberta
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,790
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
not sure how to calibrate it, though.
are you interested in absolute or relative humidity?
12-02-2023, 11:48 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,326
A few months ago we got a "smart" thermostat, which measures indoor relative humidity. It also gets weather data for outdoor temperature and humidity. I can see charts of it over time if I want. We also have three of those expensive Dyson room fans which collect a lot of air quality data including humidity.

It's pretty dry here so my wife is mostly trying to get the humidity up. I kind of like dry but I'm outvoted.
12-03-2023, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian
angerdan's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,617
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Forgive me guys but I bought this $25 piece of .... on the way
MESTEK Humidity Tester
Usually a combined thermometer/hygrometer costs 11 USD and runs permanent.
homedepot.com/p/ThermoPro-Indoor-Hygrometer-Thermometer-Humidity-Monitor-Weather-Station-with-Temperature-Gauge-TP50W/322083186


QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Reading all this remind me that a low humidity may be also dangerous. It's very hot here in summer time and cold in winter. Can it be used to kinda balance? One thing is clear to me, more I add new lenses more I think to get some dry cab.
Not dangerous, only unhealthy because your mucous membranes will dry out faster with decrasing humidity. Below 30% you should start humidifying the air.
12-04-2023, 03:29 PM   #14
Lev
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Tbilisi, Georgia
Posts: 1,197
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
are you interested in absolute or relative humidity?
"In simple terms, the absolute humidity is the ratio of mass of water vapor to the mass of dry air. This is also referred to as the humidity ratio. The relative humidity, on the contrary, is the amount of water vapor that is present in the air, relative to the amount it could hold at that given temperature."

I must have been learning physics more. Don't really recall, but the second one is very interesting, because black sea region for instance, where I lived for a while, I know that if there starts raining it almost never stops, but when it does and getting warmer, it does not matter if the temperature is high, the humidity also stays very high for very long period of time.

---------- Post added 12-05-23 at 02:35 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
A few months ago we got a "smart" thermostat, which measures indoor relative humidity. It also gets weather data for outdoor temperature and humidity. I can see charts of it over time if I want. We also have three of those expensive Dyson room fans which collect a lot of air quality data including humidity.

It's pretty dry here so my wife is mostly trying to get the humidity up. I kind of like dry but I'm outvoted.
Yeah, mine also likes to be a boss

Can you give me a link to that device?
12-04-2023, 03:54 PM   #15
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter
FozzFoster's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Alberta
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,790
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
"In simple terms, the absolute humidity is the ratio of mass of water vapor to the mass of dry air. This is also referred to as the humidity ratio. The relative humidity, on the contrary, is the amount of water vapor that is present in the air, relative to the amount it could hold at that given temperature."
Yeh - warm air can hold more humidity than cold air.
So, relative humidity can say 100% when it's cold air even if its not raining/snowing.
However, relative humidity is the common metric presented.
Even though absolute may make more sense for knowing the actual moisture in the air.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
accuracy, air, amount, data, device, equipment, humidity, mass, measure, meter, people, post, ratio, rv, screwdriver, temperature, tester, time, tool, tripod, type, water, winter
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shutter tester! Testing my new toy with a new toy ismaelg Vintage Cameras and Equipment 10 02-10-2023 06:16 AM
DIY shutter speed tester SilverDog Repairs and Warranty Service 2 02-09-2023 11:36 AM
Shutter speed tester Vendee Film SLRs and Compact Film Cameras 10 05-22-2020 12:06 AM
K1 Beta Tester ansering questions on Photography Reddit interested_observer Pentax K-1 & K-1 II 3 02-18-2016 09:30 AM
Asahi Shutter Tester jatrax Pentax Price Watch 3 08-20-2014 05:42 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:01 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top