Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tripod Mini-Review: Slik Sprint Pro

This is the last of my tripod reviews (I promise!). For Christmas, I wanted to get my world-traveling daughter a quality, compact tripod. I saw the Slik Sprint Pro (black) and felt that it would foot the bill quite nicely. The combination of light weight (1.9 lbs) and compact size (18.9" folded) at only $85 USD with included ball head sounded perfect. Here is the stock photo from the THK Web site:

When I took delivery, I was pretty impressed. The materials and workmanship of the legs were first rate. Surprisingly, the same was true about the included head. Unfortunately, the Sprint Pro is not a good match for a camera as bulky as the K10D. The ball head platform and base are better-suited to a super-zoom P&S, a compact 35mm SLR, or a 4/3 dSLR.

I was truly sad. The Sprint Pro is a finely crafted jewel of a product at a fairly reasonable price. I sent it back in exchange for an Induro AB1 that is a more suitable solution for my daughter and her K10D with zoom.

While it did not work out for my daughter, I may yet buy one for myself to use with my film cameras. Yes, it is that nice...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-08-2009 at 11:04 PM.
01-08-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am using a Slik 604CF carbon fibre tripod now. Very light and easy to carry. I just need to change that pan-tilt head to a ball head later

But I am interested on this tripod because a used Fuji S6500fd is on its way to my wife and I am looking for a lightweight tripod to match the fuji prosumer. Will they be a good match u reckon?
01-08-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I am using a Slik 604CF carbon fibre tripod now. Very light and easy to carry. I just need to change that pan-tilt head to a ball head later

But I am interested on this tripod because a used Fuji S6500fd is on its way to my wife and I am looking for a lightweight tripod to match the fuji prosumer. Will they be a good match u reckon?
The camera platform for the Sprint Pro ball head is less than 2" in diameter. I am not familiar with the Fuji, but based on descriptions and specifications, it is probably a good match. I fitted the Sprint Pro to both my Ricoh XR7 35mm SLR and Canon G2 and felt that both were supported comfortably.

Steve
01-09-2009, 12:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

But the sprint pro has no quick release head and u have to screw the camera onto the plate manually. Is this a problem?

01-09-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

But the sprint pro has no quick release head and u have to screw the camera onto the plate manually. Is this a problem?
Raider, I had a head very similar to this. I can only give you my opinion, for me it is a big problem. There is so much more convenience with a quick release head that you will come to hate a head that does not have that feature.

There are some really inexpensive (NEW: Benro, Induro, Amvona; USED: Manfrotto, Bogen, etc) quick release heads that will work much better than this one. It wouild be a shame to have a travel tripod that does not have this feature.
01-09-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow, looks like SLIK's added the padding to the legs since I bought mine some 10 years ago.

I'm in general agreement with your description. It isn't meant for heavy stuff, the wee ball head is a pain to screw in (I usually turn the pod and not the camera or the bit I'm supposed to turn)... yet for what it is intended it is very good indeed.

I do gain advantage using it with a K100D and a small lens. But as you say it's better for smaller and lighter equipment - perfect for a TLR for example. And as a light stand for a flash.

Additionally - there's a way to put the center column on upside down, which theoretically increases the functionality. And the legs are independently adjustable - I've done so while wading in a stream for example.

Thanks for the review!
01-09-2009, 08:08 AM   #7

I got this doohickey for quick release:

Amazon.com: Bogen - Manfrotto RC2 Compact Rapid Connect Adapter w/3157N Plate: Electronics

It works out for me because of my strap of choice, Black Rapid, which attaches to the ring on the plate.

But, the ballhead does seem too wimpy with K10d with any substantial lens. Does anyone know about a cheap light decent ballhead?

01-09-2009, 08:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Interesting. I am looking for a decent travel tripod and had more or less decided on this one! According to the specs, the head can handle up to 4.5 pounds, do you find this is not the case?
I'll mainly use primes with it, so I'll probably be around 2.2 pounds.
Also, the head is interchangeable, so would a better head make it more useful with the K10D?
01-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It seems the combination 'light travel tripod' and 'small $$ outlay' entails certain compromises... But then a tripod you have with you & use is better than the one you leave at home or in the trunk.

The head is OK, it sags a bit under load, but once done sagging it's stable enough. The pod can show its lightness with the legs fully extended. And the lack of quick release means that you can carry it easily, but using it is cumbersome.

Used with care and understanding it is a good pod of its type. Spending much more will get a better light weight pod however. There's no shame in making your own cost/benefit assessment.
01-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
Interesting. I am looking for a decent travel tripod and had more or less decided on this one! According to the specs, the head can handle up to 4.5 pounds, do you find this is not the case?
I'll mainly use primes with it, so I'll probably be around 2.2 pounds.
Also, the head is interchangeable, so would a better head make it more useful with the K10D?
I thought the same regarding the 2.2 lb camera vs. the 4.5 lb capacity. The head for the Sprint Pro is rated at 4.5 pounds and the legs at 8 pounds. I do believe that both will support that weight without collapsing. Whether that can be accomplished with stability is another matter. Slik is careful to annotate their description with a cautionary "well-balanced load".

Could you use the Sprint Pro with a K10D for table top shots with the legs spread on the middle setting? Yep, that would work. Would you fully extend the legs on a mountain ridge on a breezy day and step back for a self portrait? No way!

As for the head being interchangeable...yes, you can mount a different unit. The problem with replacing is the size of the mounting platform on the legs (see photo). You pretty much have to go with a small head.

Steve

BTW...capacities for tripods are usually vastly over stated. I pretty much figure that about 8-10 lbs capacity is the minimum for general use with all but the smallest dSLR (say 4/3 system).
01-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
It seems the combination 'light travel tripod' and 'small $$ outlay' entails certain compromises... But then a tripod you have with you & use is better than the one you leave at home or in the trunk.

The head is OK, it sags a bit under load, but once done sagging it's stable enough. The pod can show its lightness with the legs fully extended. And the lack of quick release means that you can carry it easily, but using it is cumbersome.

Used with care and understanding it is a good pod of its type. Spending much more will get a better light weight pod however. There's no shame in making your own cost/benefit assessment.
Very well put. Thanks for chiming in. As I mentioned in the review, I really like this unit and may well buy one for myself to use as you describe.

Steve
01-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wow, looks like SLIK's added the padding to the legs since I bought mine some 10 years ago...
The padding is only on the new black finish model. The price is the same as the unpadded silver and gunmetal finish.

Steve
01-09-2009, 10:07 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
... the wee ball head is a pain to screw in (I usually turn the pod and not the camera or the bit I'm supposed to turn)... yet for what it is intended it is very good indeed...
I found it easiest to release the ball and drop the post into the vertical slot. It is then easy to feed the screw sideways into the camera bottom. In practice it is a lot easier to use than an old-style pan head without QR!

Steve
01-12-2009, 04:12 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Stevebrot, is this Slik Sprint Pro the same as Slik Sprint GM? From picture they look identical.

Also, is it possible to replace the stock ball head with a manfrotto head with QR? If so, would the 484RC2 model fit?
01-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Stevebrot, is this Slik Sprint Pro the same as Slik Sprint GM? From picture they look identical.

Also, is it possible to replace the stock ball head with a manfrotto head with QR? If so, would the 484RC2 model fit?
I am not familiar with the Sprint GM. The ball head on the Sprint Pro is easily removed, though I don't remember if the mounting stud is 3/8" or 1/4-20. Either way, most heads come with or have available adapters.

Steve