Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Review: Benro MC-66n6 Monopod

For quite some time I had been using a very cheap metal monopod. Although it was a four section support the last section was really too small to hold anything with any weight. The ball head had a single lever and no sort of quick release. It was only sturdy enough to hold a P&S not a K20D with grip and lens.

The short list of desired features:
  • Maximum height enough for a 6' person
  • Sturdy
  • Relatively lightweight (less than or near 1 lbs)
  • Relatively compact (4 section desirable)
  • Able to support 10 lbs of camera/lens
  • Able to support a small or medium-sized ball head
  • Relatively inexpensive
Some of the above requirements forced the selection to carbon fiber. It was the only way to have a relatively sturdy leg and yet keep the weight down. With that in mind I settled on the Benro MC-66n6.

The Benro MC-66n6:

Specifications:
  • Sections: 5
  • Material: Carbon Fiber
  • Maximum height: 57.35" w/o head
  • Minimum length: 16.5"
  • Weight: 0.88 lbs
  • Capacity: 11 lbs
Features:
  • 8 layer carbon fiber tubes
  • Sand and dust sealed rubber lock grips
  • Water resistant bushings
  • Reversible 1/4" or 3/8" thread
  • built in hand strap
  • Closed cell foam padding on upper section

Price:

Purchased December 12, 2008 from eBay: $76.89 USD Shipped

Build:

When the monopod arrived the first thing that is extremely noticeable is just how light it is. The leg locks are very smooth feeling. The leg locks are covered with a rubber grip for ease of turning. The outside finish is matte black with no carbon showing (either unidirectional or weave). The little rubber cap on the bottom leg is not removable and cannot be replaced by a spike.

In Use:

The legs operate relatively smoothly with little effort required to extend, collapse, and lock. Although extending the legs is easier than collapsing them, which could be a result of the weather sealing. Locks are of the twist type, the sections do not rotate when loosened. This allows the legs to be extended easily in any order. The one drawback to 5 sections is that you cannot loosen all the leg locks with one motion. When fully extended it is pretty stable, there is no feeling that the leg sections will collapse on their own no matter how much weight you put on the top. The top plate at just over 2" in diameter is large enough to support a medium sized ball head. There are no set screws to secure the head to the top plate.

The bottom line:
  • Pro:
    • Sturdy
    • Good value at its price point
    • High level of construction
    • Light and compact for the level of stability provided
  • Con:
    • 4 leg locks impossible to grip with one hand unless you are Sasquatch.
    • Cannot replace bottom cap with metal spike
Similar competing products:
  • Induro MC25
  • Manfrotto 695CX
  • Feisol CM-1401
  • Amvona Dynatran AM-106CF

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 01-08-2009 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Added picture
01-08-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting this review. The Benro looks like a good value in a lightweight monopod and your review will be useful for people shopping for this or a similar item.

Steve
01-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thanks for posting this review. The Benro looks like a good value in a lightweight monopod and your review will be useful for people shopping for this or a similar item.

Steve
Steve,

I kinda stole your format as I thought it was very clear and easy to differentiate specifications from opinions. Adding the word Review: to the beginning of the title also makes it easier to search for in this maze of totally unorganized posts in the Accessories forum.

I do hope others find this useful as I had read all the monopod posts here and was still undecided about what to get. I do feel I made a good choice and anyone would be well served by choosing the Benro.
01-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I was wondering about the Benro products and was looking at one of these when I was searching for my monopod. Thanks for the review.

I should do one on the Induro I bought. I think I would probably use Steves format also. Works well.

01-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks. I've been curious about this model, myself.
12-01-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
I was wondering about the Benro products and was looking at one of these when I was searching for my monopod. Thanks for the review.

I should do one on the Induro I bought. I think I would probably use Steves format also. Works well.
Hi Oren,

I've been looking at Benro monopods today. One of the local ebay sellers says "Benro Tripods have enjoyed incredible popularity in the USA and Australia. Benro tripods are known as Induro Tripods in the USA, they are practically identical in every single way except for the brand name. Outside of the US, the tripods are marketed as Benro." This could be old info, even if it's correct.

Are you able to match your monopod to any Benro model?

Regards,
Richard.