Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #1

Yet another newbie looking for a tripod thread

Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate some advice on choosing a tripod. I know that tripod choice has been covered a lot (I've burned the past two hours reading tripod threads.... ) and in fact I feel slightly doofy starting another tripod thread immediately after another fellow... but here goes.

I'm aware that I get to pick only two of sturdy, lightweight, and cheap. In my case lightweight is of paramount importance, since it's something I want to take backpacking... less than 1kg would be nice and if I could push it lower, that would be ideal. But I also am scraping the bottom of the barrel on camera funding. :/

I have a K200d with a Pentax 18-250 lens, which weighs about 1.2kg with batteries.

I'm wondering if I can sacrifice height for weight via a "compact" tripod. I'm 6'0" (183cm) tall. How important is a tripod which reaches eye height? For example, the following is 740g:

Slik | Sprint Mini Tripod with Ballhead | 611-800 | B&H Photo

But this does not come with a quick-release head, and I worry lack of such will become annoying and lead to leaving-the-tripod-home syndrome. Can I add a QR without too much expense or weight?

Any opinions or suggestions?

Thanks so much,

Reid

01-11-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Depending on how scraping you are, look at the Feisol Travelers.
FEISOL CT-3441S with Center Column and a Tripod Bag
My experience is that cheap, understrength tripods are more of a detriment than anything else.
01-11-2009, 11:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use a Slik 614CF carbon fibre tripod. Very light for travelling. Seems ok for my k100D and Tamron 70-200. Not very sturdy in *strong* wind though but otherwise it is great.
01-11-2009, 11:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a carbon fibre tripod thru Amvona on ebay it's dynatran Model AT-CF92 with a Manfrotto 486RC2 Ball head. I am very pleased with the product for the price. This system will carry my K20D and Bigma just fine for less then $200. It probably is not the right tripod for moderate to high winds. but it has not let me down yet and its been all over the country. I would definitely buy another and highly recommend it.

I hope this helps.

Good luck on your decision.

John

01-12-2009, 02:16 PM   #5

Tripod Thread

Tripod threads usually come in two sizes. Difficult to find a retailer on the web, so not sure what the minimum qty would be when ordering

Sorry could not resist when I saw the title of the "Thread"...
01-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rpriedhorsky Quote
...I have a K200d with a Pentax 18-250 lens, which weighs about 1.2kg with batteries.

I'm wondering if I can sacrifice height for weight via a "compact" tripod. I'm 6'0" (183cm) tall. How important is a tripod which reaches eye height? For example, the following is 740g:

Slik | Sprint Mini Tripod with Ballhead | 611-800 | B&H Photo

But this does not come with a quick-release head, and I worry lack of such will become annoying and lead to leaving-the-tripod-home syndrome. Can I add a QR without too much expense or weight?...
Hi Reid,
I think that you will find that the Slik Sprint Mini is probably too small for your K200D. The Sprint Pro is a little larger with a beefier head and would be a better choice, but it is still slightly built and more appropriate for a prosumer zoom cam than for a dSLR. The stated capacity for tripods are usually a bit of an overstatement. The small tripods will do in a pinch, but are really not designed to handle a larger camera with the average zoom lens. Did you see this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/46294-tripod-mi...print-pro.html
This may also interest you:
Amazon.com: Bogen - Manfrotto RC2 Compact Rapid Connect Adapter w/3157N Plate: Electronics
With this device, the small head on the Sprint Pro might be adequate for your K200D.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-12-2009 at 02:55 PM.
01-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips everyone.

"Scraping the barrel" means that I have $100 to spend if I stretch, but I'd prefer to keep it a bit under.

My eye level is 67 inches standing; squatting, 39", sitting, 30". Am I going to be sad if I get a tripod that doesn't reach my eye height?

I don't need a tripod that can be left unattended. The most unattended would be for a self-portrait, and if I can't do that on a breezy day, that's fine.

The Slik Pro seems attractive, perhaps the "3-Way" variant with the pan/tilt head: Slik | Sprint Pro Tripod with 3-Way Panhead | 611-862 | B&H

It's unclear to me how the hinges are locked/unlocked from looking at the picture. Does one turn the handles?

Can one remove the center column and leave it home to save weight?

Thanks again. This forum continues to be a tremendous resource.

Reid

01-12-2009, 11:56 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

"Scraping the barrel" means that I have $100 to spend if I stretch, but I'd prefer to keep it a bit under.

My eye level is 67 inches standing; squatting, 39", sitting, 30". Am I going to be sad if I get a tripod that doesn't reach my eye height?

I don't need a tripod that can be left unattended. The most unattended would be for a self-portrait, and if I can't do that on a breezy day, that's fine.

The Slik Pro seems attractive, perhaps the "3-Way" variant with the pan/tilt head: Slik | Sprint Pro Tripod with 3-Way Panhead | 611-862 | B&H

It's unclear to me how the hinges are locked/unlocked from looking at the picture. Does one turn the handles?

Reid
The center column on the Sprint Pro is made of two pieces, the short column with the mount platform and an extension. Ball heads are nice because they adjust quickly and are compact. Pan tilt heads are nice when you want a controlled pan such as with a video camera or when doing panoramas, but are tedious to adjust. The handles twist to tighten the two main axis and there is a knob to tighten the horizontal pan.

Your main issue with a lightweight head is the size of the actual camera platform. It should have enough surface area to properly engage the base of the camera. Most lightweight units have tiny platforms. The Sprint Pro is less than 2" across. (Actually closer to 1.5") That size is fine for many 35mm SLRs and prosumer digitals, but too small for a dSLR. The head and legs may be able to bear the weight, but the camera will slip on the platform when in the vertical position if it has too little surface area. That is why I included the link to the quick release plate in the earlier post. It may be mounted on the stock plate to give a larger surface area.

Steve
01-13-2009, 08:28 AM   #9

Hi Reid,
have you considered the Gorillapods by Joby? Great for backpacking as they are light and small. Here is a link to their site:
Joby - Find My Gorillapod
01-13-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

O.k. at this price tag I would do something completely different: buy a small table top tripod that's sturdy enough to carry your camera. If you want some stabilisation during daytime (250mm max. focal length shouldn't be underestimated in its potential for blurred images) add a lightweight monopod.

I would not recommend any standard tripod complete with head in this price range - not with the weight factor taken into account. At this price light weight and stability don't go together. The best lightweight tripod (for my purposes) I have found so far is the Velbon Sherpa Pro 540 cf, which is light weight, folds down to a compact size and (together with a small and light weight Novoflex Ball 30) can carry my K20+grip+300mm or 70-200/2.8 when it is not too windy.

If you have a bit of time to spare, you should look for a good secondhand tripod locally or on ebay. For 100 USD, you will find something sturdy (not necessarily really lightweight).

Ben
01-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

I don't need a tripod that can be left unattended. The most unattended would be for a self-portrait, and if I can't do that on a breezy day, that's fine

Reid
Reid, have you considered a monopod, since you mention not leaving it unattended. If you are always there with it you could get a light monopod and smallish head or just a plate and be near you r $100 limit. The save some money and buy your tripod later.

I hope you understand that monopods are not in the same league as tripods but they are infinitely easier to carry and almost as versatile and can even be a godsend in tight quarters.
01-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #12

Original Poster
I got a Sprint Pro with the 3-axis pan/tilt head. I realize that the CW in this thread was hesitant... but the weight was compelling and the price was right. If it turns out I screwed up, I'll report back.

I do have a Gorillapod. It's certainly very versatile, but it's a bit too fiddly for my tastes. I've been thinking about putting up on the Marketplace here, actually.

I also have a tiny Ultrapod which I take all the time on trips but don't use. I think it's because it's just too small -- about 6" high -- and it's too much hassle to find something to strap it to or something to set it on.

Thanks for all the advice... much appreciated!
01-15-2009, 12:21 AM   #14
Damn Brit

I do have a Gorillapod. It's certainly very versatile, but it's a bit too fiddly for my tastes. I've been thinking about putting up on the Marketplace here, actually.
If you have the Gorillapod DSLR, keep it and get the flash clip for it. A flash works on it much better than a camera.