Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2009, 12:56 PM   #1

How is the Slik 330DX as first tripod?

Hello friends,

I'm looking forward to a new tripod. I own K200D with kit lens and DA* 50-135. I saw this tripod, which is cheap, can handle 3-4 kilos and has max. height of 1600 mm.
On the paper, it looks great for me, but I'm suspicious.

Does someone recommend this tripod ?

Thanks every one.

01-14-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the larger version of this tripod, the Slik Pro 700 DX. I love it. Mine is a big heavier and a bit more robust than the model you listed and as such can handle up to 15-16 lbs.

I mainly like mine for the height which is eye height at the eye piece with just a bit of center tube extension (an inch or so). The build quality is great also and the quick connect on mine is quite good.

Would buy another. Mine cost about $140 US.
01-14-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi IdanzOr,

I have one (mine's a B&L Advanced Titanium, but it's exactly the same tripod), and though it no longer gets much use since I usually need something taller and more stable with heavier lenses, I still keep it around for situations when I need something more compact and a lot lighter.

It's constructed pretty well, and has stood up very well to being bounced around in my trunk for 6 years as a backup/alternative.

If the height and features meet your needs, I'd say that it's a reasonable place to start, but, of course, you could do better (but that's almost always true, unless you just go for broke and get a Gitzo. . .) BTW, I didn't like the heads that they usually bundle it with -- just get the legs and pop for a really good ballhead.

Scott
01-14-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try to get one which is not too heavy if you are intending to bring it with you to hiking, to overseas trip, to everywhere. My personal experience is that anything more than 1.5kg is too heavy and cumbersome for trips.

Try to get a carbon fibre one if you can. I have a Slik 614CF carbon fibre which I am really fond of and it is just around 1.2kg weight (including the head).