Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2009, 08:23 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
lightweight ballhead, not too $$$?

So I have a Slik Sprint Pro for my very occasional tripod use, but I find that the included ballhead sags if I mount a K20d with a substantial lens. Since I went with this tripod to be lightweight and economical, I'm hoping one of you have already solved this problem and can recommend a light, not too expensive ball head.

Also, reading all these tripod threads recently... Tripods with twist lock legs, are these convenient to use? It looks like a royal PITA to me. Is there a trick to using them efficiently?

Thanks!

01-15-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Twist legs usually offer seals against moisture and dust. I love flip locks but when exposed to rain and saltwater, I'd prefer sealed joints as I have to dismantle and clean etc my Manfrotto regularly to prevent corrosion. I'm saving up for a Benro aka Induro (I believe) for my trips to the beach and mountains.

As for your ballhead, depends on your budget. Cheap one would be the Manfrottos. Good value. Step up would probably be the Markins Q3. Fantastic ballhead and can EASILY handle your gear.

Last edited by soccerjoe5; 01-15-2009 at 09:27 AM.
01-15-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You can also try the acratech ultimate ballheads. very good ballheads and not as expensive as the RRS ones.
01-15-2009, 09:12 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Diego, looking those up. Love your food pics BTW. Post more!

01-15-2009, 09:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Thank you deuces, I'll post more soon
01-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/46294-tripod-mi...print-pro.html

has a discussion on this with a good-looking recommendation of a replacement head.
01-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you like Arca-style ballheads, there's some decent facsimilies out there. (I got mine from Amvona.com off an auction, when they were cheaper on Ebay, I think it's the same as a Benro) Not, super-light, but I like mine, for as long as it lasts, anyway. Which could be quite a while, since, like you mention, I don't do a *great* deal of tripod work.

It's small and solid, anyway. I got it while trying to re-equip in a relative hurry (all my decent camera support was lost in a rather hasty move out of a bad situation some time ago) ...and for my money mostly didn't want to deal with quick-release heads that might be a weak link: this one just clamps down. In general I went fairly big, figuring I could be picky about carrying later. But it turns out it's a pretty nice head I got here. I don't presume that it'd stay nice under a lot of hard use, but it could, for all I know.

01-15-2009, 01:23 PM   #8

Bogen/Manfrotto 486RC2 Ball Head

486RC2 Ball Head - Google Product Search
01-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HowLowCanYaGo Quote
Bogen/Manfrotto 486RC2 Ball Head

486RC2 Ball Head - Google Product Search
The 486RC2 is a nice unit and a great value. The main issue might be the small diameter of the mounting flange on the top of the center column of the Sprint Pro. It is teeny.

Steve