Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

AF-500FTZ with the k20d

Can anyone tell me if a AF-500FTZ flash will work with the k20d. Have a chance to get the flash for $100 but want to make sure it's a good investment.

01-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #2

IMO, it is not a good investment. On K20d, you can use the flash only in manual mode.
01-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I can't comment on the price (as camera gear is very expensive here in New Zealand), but in terms of functionality, as yzuo mentioned, you'll only be able to use your camera in manual mode (M).

You'll be able to use the flash in Manual. In manual mode, you choose the fraction of flash power you want it to throw out yourself.

Besides that, there are some good things about that flash:
1) It's pretty damn powerful, more than an AF360, and nearly as powerful as an AF540
2) It both bounces and swivels
3) It's got an optical slave in it. This means you can use it in combination with another dedicated flash (on the shoe), in manual mode to provide light from multiple angles. This does not work with the popup flash, however.

What you're giving up, relative to a new, fully automatic flash:
1) P-TTL - this enables your camera and flash to work together in all the program modes. People are divided on how useful this actually is - probably the best way to find out is, unfortunately, to experiment with flashes for a while.
2) P-TTL wireless - the K20 can trigger a P-TTL flash remotely with its popup flash. Again, people are divided on how useful this is.
3) An auto exposure mode. These can be pretty handy where you want to do a manual exposure with the camera, but automatic flash. (I have been corrected, I originally thought the flash did this!)
4) High Speed Sync (sync faster than 1/180 of a second)
5) I'm pretty sure it doesn't know how to compensate for the digital crop factor with its zoom mode. This might cause slightly less than ideal light distribution.

Would I buy one at that price - NO, I would not. This is a revision from my previous statement where I said I would - at that point I thought it had an Auto mode, which I have now been corrected on. I hope nobody took action based on this poor advice of mine! My apologies!

Last edited by cpopham; 01-16-2009 at 02:33 AM.
01-15-2009, 10:40 PM   #4

Unfortunately the 500ftz does not have Auto mode as it doesn't have a metering sensor like the 360fgz or 540fgz. So only manual flash mode can be used on K20D. If the OP has a *ist series body which supports ttl metering, this would be a good choice. For use as a off-camera flash in the manual mode, there are probably cheaper options.

QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
You'll be able to use the flash in both Manual, and Auto mode. In manual mode, you choose the fraction of flash power you want it to throw out yourself. In Auto mode, you enter the exposure settings you want, e.g. F stop, Shutter speed and ISO, and the flash will manage exposure for you.

01-16-2009, 02:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yzuo Quote
Unfortunately the 500ftz does not have Auto mode as it doesn't have a metering sensor like the 360fgz or 540fgz.
I see that you are correct on this, I've amended my post. I hope the OP hadn't read it yet.

QuoteOriginally posted by yzuo Quote
For use as a off-camera flash in the manual mode, there are probably cheaper options.
Depressingly, that would still be a good price for an off camera manual flash where I live. *However* I'm currently looking for a flash with both swivel and bounce for on-shoe use (already having an AF360), so it's a lot less attractive now that I know it doesn't have an auto mode.