Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2009, 08:00 PM   #1

Anyone have experiences with the Calumet Genesis 200 monolight?

Calumet Genesis 200 1-Light Kit - CF0502K -

Looking for an inexpensive monolight to play around with and found the Genesis 200. I found some positive reviews on other forums but thought I would check here before pulling the trigger.

Some of the specs:
200w/s
3 sec. recycle on full
Fan cooled
Nice set of features and adjustments.
Kit comes with a 10 ft stand and a 45" shoot through umbrella with black cover.

Don't know the flash duration.

Anyone have this light? Any opinions?

01-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't have personal experience, Red, but have certainly read about them (200 & 400ws). They're getting pretty decent reviews, as you say, so should be a good choice for most. However, the absence of multi-voltage power input, like most Calumet flash units, rules them out as an option for me.

Regardless, a big plus is compatibility with Elinchrom speedrings. I use Elinchrom studio strobes, so do have some experience with this aspect. Since a number of companies now build flash units compatible with Elinchrom speedrings, there are plenty of third-party devices (soft boxes, etc) available to choose from in various price ranges. And that includes the many outstanding devices (Octa & other softboxes, reflectors, grids, softlight reflectors, fiber optic devices, etc) from Elinchrom itself.

stewart
01-19-2009, 07:35 AM   #3
Red

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
I don't have personal experience, Red, but have certainly read about them (200 & 400ws). They're getting pretty decent reviews, as you say, so should be a good choice for most. However, the absence of multi-voltage power input, like most Calumet flash units, rules them out as an option for me.

Regardless, a big plus is compatibility with Elinchrom speedrings. I use Elinchrom studio strobes, so do have some experience with this aspect. Since a number of companies now build flash units compatible with Elinchrom speedrings, there are plenty of third-party devices (soft boxes, etc) available to choose from in various price ranges. And that includes the many outstanding devices (Octa & other softboxes, reflectors, grids, softlight reflectors, fiber optic devices, etc) from Elinchrom itself.

stewart
Thanks!

Some reviews were complaining about using the Elinchrom mount. The price of the speedring is half the cost of the light itself but I figure it provides a solid upgrade path to Elinchrom lights down the road and it is a quality product. Not like some cheap ebay alternatives that will not fit properly and will probably end up breaking sooner rather than later.

Too bad about the multi voltage output, making an inexpensive light for amateurs that is an odd corner to cut. I think the economy of scale would demand having these feature.
01-19-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been researching these myself, along with a few other brands. Right now AlienBees are the frontrunners. I've also seen pretty good feedback on the Flashpoint (Adorama) units. Keep in mind that the initial layout for the Calumet units is on the low side, but you will pay more for the accessories than you would for the AlienBee and Flashpoint units. For that reason I eliminated the Calumet units and started looking more closely at the AlienBee, Flashpoint, and Photogenic lights.

Here are some discussions on these lights from DPR:

calumet genesis vs adorama flashpoints: Lighting Technique Forum: Digital Photography Review
Flashpoint Monolights: Lighting Technique Forum: Digital Photography Review
Calumet Genesis: Lighting Technique Forum: Digital Photography Review

01-19-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
Red

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
I've been researching these myself, along with a few other brands. Right now AlienBees are the frontrunners. I've also seen pretty good feedback on the Flashpoint (Adorama) units. Keep in mind that the initial layout for the Calumet units is on the low side, but you will pay more for the accessories than you would for the AlienBee and Flashpoint units. For that reason I eliminated the Calumet units and started looking more closely at the AlienBee, Flashpoint, and Photogenic lights.

Here are some discussions on these lights from DPR:

calumet genesis vs adorama flashpoints: Lighting Technique Forum: Digital Photography Review
Flashpoint Monolights: Lighting Technique Forum: Digital Photography Review
Calumet Genesis: Lighting Technique Forum: Digital Photography Review

Those were some of the others I was looking at but it came down to which one fit my criteria best, which was:

Inexpensive but not cheap. I didn't want something that will break or is unreliable. ( I think all three of else fit into this category)
Adjustable output >150w/s (AB adjustable 160w/s, Genesis adjustable 200w/s and Flashpoint somewhat adjustable 150w/s )
Fan cooled. I think this is very important (Knocks the Flashpoints out)
Proportional 150w or higher modeling light. (Again both AB and Genesis)
Good stand and umbrella.

If a very fast recycle was a need or I was looking at the Genesis 400 vs AB B800 then the results might be different.

So after meeting those initial requirements it came down to price.

Genesis 400 kit vs AB B800 kit is $299 vs $358, I think the AB B800 would win because of the faster recycle and cost of modifiers.
Genesis 200 kit vs AB B400 kit is $169 vs $302. I'm thinking the Genesis wins for me.
01-19-2009, 11:11 PM   #6

The Genesis are a fantastic bang for the buck! I have the 200ws kit and will be purchasing the 400ws softbox kit in the future. I don't think that you will be disappointed with the purchase of the Genesis lighting system.
01-20-2009, 07:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have contemplated the Genesis 400s seriously. I had some at hand at a Calumet shop and they seemed to be nicely built. But at last I decided against those and bought a couple of Interfit Stellar units. The reasons where:
- more power (600 Ws)
- brighter modelling lights (250 W)
- Bowens compatible S-bayonette
- generally sturdier built quality
- my good experience with Interfit...

The Elinchrom bayonette in the first genesis series was poorly made and original Elinchrom light modellers did not fit the Genesis properly. The latest modells should have been fixed. But nevertheless I prefer flashes with the S-bayonette, as accessories are more widely availabe and speed rings much cheaper. Also, I can add more powerfull flash heads and keep these accessories, whereas the Genesis range sports no more powerful unit and stepping-up to Elinchrom (though worthwhile for a dedicatd studio photographer) is too expensive for my occasional use.

Ben