Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #1

Strobist question with K200D/100D P.C. connection

I have a K100D and K200D and I'm wanting to do the stobist thing starting out with the
Vivitar 285HV and I read that the strobe needs to be triggered externally via the camera's PC connection.

I'm not sure if the K100D and K200D have the type of PC connection needed for triggering externally? The three K200D terminals are: UBS/VIDEO, DC INPUT and Cable Switch. Is the USB/Vid terminal the K200's PC connection?

Also what kind of short flash cord (non trigger) do I need, and where does it connect when I wanna bounce the Vivitar by hand/off the hot shoe, since it doesn't swivel left and right?

01-18-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Batson Quote
I have a K100D and K200D and I'm wanting to do the stobist thing starting out with the
Vivitar 285HV and I read that the strobe needs to be triggered externally via the camera's PC connection.

I'm not sure if the K100D and K200D have the type of PC connection needed for triggering externally? The three K200D terminals are: UBS/VIDEO, DC INPUT and Cable Switch. Is the USB/Vid terminal the K200's PC connection?

Also what kind of short flash cord (non trigger) do I need, and where does it connect when I wanna bounce the Vivitar by hand/off the hot shoe, since it doesn't swivel left and right?
Hi Billy,

The new version of the 285HV are safe to use mounted on-camera and they are great workhorse strobes. I have a pair of them and use them side-by-side with my 540FGZ when I'm doing my own "strobist" thing.
They come with their own PC-Vivitar sync cord so all you'll need to use them off-camera if you don't have a PC connector (has nothing to do with computers, btw) is a hot shoe adapter that has a PC connector on it. FlashZebra has a good prices and selection - this one mounts to your camera's hotshoe and has 2 female + 1 male PC connector and a test button.